If you did, how would you?

Would you change something with your current reef system?

• Yes and I a going to make the change..(tell us what)

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Yes but it will take time due to various reasons..(tell us why)

Votes: 38 29.7%
  • Yes but I won't be able to for various reasons..(tell us why)

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • It's not perfect but I would not change anything..

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • No because it's exactly how I want it..

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This QOTD comes to us from our good member @Sisterlimonpot. Thank you for the question! If you have questions or ideas for the QOTD please PM me.

Upon completion of my most recent build, I felt confident that I accounted for just about everything. I’m talking about routing plumbing, equipment automation, ease of maintenance, leaving room for future expansion etc. I also had to consider the beauty of the display tank and rock work and factor for coral growth and plenty of swim throughs and hiding spaces. Because let’s face it, if we’re the least bit successful in this hobby we will be looking at the same landscape for years to come. If you’re like me careful consideration went into all of it. And when we are finally done, we take a step back and are pleased…

However for me, it didn’t take long before I started realizing that I didn’t think of everything and there were a few oversights on my part that I ended up just having to live with. Yes, we chalk it up as lessons learned and make a mental note that if we had to do it all over again, these are the things that we would do differently.

What lessons have you learned?

If given the chance to start over, what would you do differently?

image via @marco fish
76456E6D-415B-4B89-9A2D-C71475638760.jpeg

Zeedawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally I'd go with a larger total volume /wider - from 100Gal -> 140Gal. Would like to have more horizontal swimming room for the fish....

zrr8348

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted to saltwater and tried to build a sump for the first time. First attempt shattered the glass, second attempt I went with an external overflow and it wouldn't stop making a straw sucking noise, third attempt I couldn't keep my return pump from sucking air.
I'm back to freshwater and a canister :( going to do a lot more research and try again soon!

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wouldn’t have changed it at the time. Now I’m going to change from t5s to radion gen 5s. At the time I went with t5 for spread because gen 5/ didn’t exist yet. But with the improvements on spread i will swap over when it’s time to change bulbs

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflow box with an internal weir(?). A light rack that moves up and down for tank access. I have a peninsula so doors on both sides AND the one end for access. My one absolute is that ALL electrical is separated from sump area by a fixed barrier.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty content with both of my tanks, they don't require alot of maintenance (finally) but I'm always sucked into improving upon things.
I posted earlier this week where I met and old time reefer when buying some frags and noticed neither of his tanks had heaters in them. He's using small waterbed heaters under his sumps & says they've been there for years. His Apex is controlling them and they hold 78.2 - 78.8 pretty constant. Here we go again - sucked into another experiment....

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This QOTD comes to us from our good member @Sisterlimonpot. Thank you for the question! If you have questions or ideas for the QOTD please PM me.

Upon completion of my most recent build, I felt confident that I accounted for just about everything. I’m talking about routing plumbing, equipment automation, ease of maintenance, leaving room for future expansion etc. I also had to consider the beauty of the display tank and rock work and factor for coral growth and plenty of swim throughs and hiding spaces. Because let’s face it, if we’re the least bit successful in this hobby we will be looking at the same landscape for years to come. If you’re like me careful consideration went into all of it. And when we are finally done, we take a step back and are pleased…

However for me, it didn’t take long before I started realizing that I didn’t think of everything and there were a few oversights on my part that I ended up just having to live with. Yes, we chalk it up as lessons learned and make a mental note that if we had to do it all over again, these are the things that we would do differently.

image via @marco fish
Hey that’s my tank Lol :p , thank you for posting @Revtree it has changed quite a bit since that picture, I need to update my build thread big time.

image via @marco fish

image via @marco fish
Hey that’s my reef tank Lol :p, lots has changed and I need to update my build thread @revhtree, I will get on it ASAP !!!

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my current setup used for a great price, I reused the rocks to save time and not wait for a cycle cause I was excited which leads me to the answer of this question

I really wish I started with fresh new rock, my current rock had too many large bristle worms which I successfully eradicated but I deal with a lot of Aiptasia which I’ve kept in check but gets annoying having to do Aiptasia X treatments every water change. Also the rocks were like big ol rocks and gave me such limited patterns for aquascaping and room for corals. My current aquascaping disappoints me and time and time again I think of just redoing my tank with fresh rock

nanoreefga30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 20 gallon setup actually came about due to a heater malfunction in the 75 mixed reef I used to have. Ended up killing all my fish and all but two of my corals. Tbh I like the nano a lot better. Yeah you can't keep any super cool fish in it but it's less maintenance. The two corals I saved have come back to life and are doing very well. I'd say my current setup isn't exactly how I wanted my nano tank to be but everything in it is happy an healthy so I can't ask for much more.

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the best I could afford with my budget. Some is cheap Chinese. Some is top shelf. All started with tiny frags. I see some one year old tanks with corals crammed to the rafters I figure that most were bought large.

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Lagoon 50 AIO.

Well it's an all in one system. I would take out that part and sump it. I honestly love the tank, always wanted the 25 lagoon and saw this for sale, my wife was awesome enough to get it for me. But I would have love to do an synergy external overflow. Very uncertain about what sump though, if anyone has any recommendations for sumps that fit under the APS stand I would appreciate it.
Other thing would be, the rock scape. I know i won't be able to see after corals grow in but if I could keep the bottom clear so waste won't accumulate, that would be great.
I do have a nuvo 20, so maybe I'll transfer everything there and redo the 50 lagoon. I don't plan to add any corals to the 50 lagoon for a while. I have some in there now but for other reason.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to let future tanks cycle for months without equipment besides pumps.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will go to a larger tank, 75 gallon min, but prefer 125. Otherwise super happy with everything including reef-pi as controller.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate my aquascape in my display!! What im planning on doing soon is upgrading to a 50 or 70 so I can really add some nice depth and height to the aquascape.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back