If you did, how would you?

Would you change something with your current reef system?

• Yes and I a going to make the change..(tell us what)

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Yes but it will take time due to various reasons..(tell us why)

Votes: 38 29.7%
  • Yes but I won't be able to for various reasons..(tell us why)

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • It's not perfect but I would not change anything..

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • No because it's exactly how I want it..

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Bizzie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 6 month cycle with Zero Lighting
I’m in my 2nd month of a zero light cycle And had planned to light the tank at the 3 month mark. I have 6 fish and a few cleaner shrimp. My concern is whether or not the lack of light will negatively impact the fish

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove the internal overflow and install a ghost-style. Looks much nicer and for me it would have created more options for the sump due to the drain lines being higher when they go through the wall into my utility room. It's something I should have done before setting it up but I really didn't want to deal with drilling holes at the time and it doesn't actually bug me much. It "hides" the pumps and I just run my tank as if it were a peninsula (though it's not). The only way this will change is if I build a larger tank to go in the same place.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTHER. Because I don’t know yet, still thinking things through reading DIY, food and other threads, planning and watching for D’oh ;Facepalm threads lIke these, always good learning opportunities here. I also don’t think any build will nail every point.

SY2932

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Into the hobby three months and not checking how level the floor was before planning where 110G was going to go. Being in the basement on cement, I *assumed* the that the floor was pretty level... The 55G that I was given a few months ago is on top of my desk because it was supposed to be temporary. That is peninsula style and I have come to appreciate the convenience of being able to get to the backside of the aquarium. The original location for the 110G was going to be against a wall. The only catch is, where I want to now setup the 110G is where the 55G is on my desk. So, I'm looking at a double tear down now when I setup the 110G :(.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did, how would you?

This QOTD comes to us from our good member @Sisterlimonpot. Thank you for the question! If you have questions or ideas for the QOTD please PM me.

Upon completion of my most recent build, I felt confident that I accounted for just about everything. I’m talking about routing plumbing, equipment automation, ease of maintenance, leaving room for future expansion etc. I also had to consider the beauty of the display tank and rock work and factor for coral growth and plenty of swim throughs and hiding spaces. Because let’s face it, if we’re the least bit successful in this hobby we will be looking at the same landscape for years to come. If you’re like me careful consideration went into all of it. And when we are finally done, we take a step back and are pleased…

However for me, it didn’t take long before I started realizing that I didn’t think of everything and there were a few oversights on my part that I ended up just having to live with. Yes, we chalk it up as lessons learned and make a mental note that if we had to do it all over again, these are the things that we would do differently.

What lessons have you learned?

If given the chance to start over, what would you do differently?

image via @marco fish
76456E6D-415B-4B89-9A2D-C71475638760.jpeg
I said I wouldn't change for various reasons. I said that because like life its a constantly changing and learning hobby. I've enjoyed every aspect of our hobby so far and don't see that changing in the future. I think the only thing I would have changed is I wouldn't have taken such a long break when I moved to my new local. I never intended to take a 10 year break. That's about all I would have changed. But changes in the future are certain.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was limited in my on my build but I now have collected some more top end items. I'm going to go bigger that my current 75 gallon. I want something in the 6 foot size X 18“ or 24“. I am looking for a new house so I'm waiting until I move and it's going to be located in a finished basement. I plan to have the sump behind the wall from the tank so I wouldn't have to upgrade the main pump. (currently the sump is in my basement pumping up 1 floor). I will need to get longer lights and maybe water movement.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably do an external overflow next time. My prior tank had an curved corner overflow so I didn't realize the internal center overflows obstruct so much flow.
I hate those overflows almost as much as Ihate those light blocking center braces...next time I’m going rimless, either Red Sea or Waterbox

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched my tank over to a lps over my sps. With work hours piling up I just don't have the time to maintain my sps. I have a few left but I just find lps so much easier and a bit more forgiving

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have gone with all live rock (from the start) for diversity. Feel like it has taken a long time for my tank to settle down and mature. Plus I would have been more consistent with measuring my parameters. Cost me a lot of time. Now that I have a doser and can keep things stable, I have seen much more consistent growth with my corals.

Jose A Venereo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to connect all my aquarium into one massive sump in the basement to reduce noise and make maintenance easier.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing in my tank I would consider upgrading is the skimmer... maybe. If I could find a more efficient one.

To be honest, I would need a real good deal and reason to make the change. Maybe a skimmer that worked with ozone... but again not really chomping at the bit to do it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have ordered fish from saltwaterfish.com, since they all die and killed all but 2 fish in my DT with marine velvet.
I've setup multiple new QT tanks since, used their "store credits", and the fish still keep dying.

Every single fish I have ordered from them has died. EVERY SINGLE FISH.

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a waterbox 25Pen aquarium (haven't even stocked the one I have yet) because I know what I ideally want, money and space are kind of an issue. I would have to take my TV out and put the tank there, but I also would need to build a stand.

RYcube2951

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I would set up a frag tank. No sand, just coral frags on display racks. But, I won't because of the investment I have made in my currect tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back