If you had to replace your return pump tomorrow, what would you get?

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim, because I am still running the original 1260 in my frag tank that was purchased for my 75 gallon display in 2006, 14 years ago.

The Eheim 1262 in my 210 display is 9 years old, still going strong.
I understand totally what you are saying. I sold my Eheim 1262s for the new fancy Sicce Quiet Ones, not so quiet, and needed impellers after a few years. Tried cheaper ones that actually lasted longer than the Sicces, Catalina Aquariums, but they ended up burning up in the sump. Tried some DC pumps, the "intelligent module" died, shutting down the pump, plus screws were rusting. Back to Eheims and in the process of replacing all pumps (ATS, Chaeto Reactor, circulation, etc.) with Eheim pumps. Quality at an affordable price, that will last. Hard to come by now a days.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had my danner/supreme mag running for about 15 years...and it was used when i bought it

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Vectras... but it isn't the pump that is the nightmare but the physical act of replacing or maintaining it that drives me to drink.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is ONLY one pump to both buy and use. I bought a **Japanese Iwaki 100r** 23 years ago it pumped right at 1900 plus.. gallons an hour 135 plus gallons per min. !. I run 265 gallons total on my system. 2 tanks a 90 and a 110 and a 100 gallon sump of sorts a 100 gallon horse trough lol. Heavy duty pumps these are and with a huge head height. It went bad on me right at 4 months ago now. I bought another one from BRS ( I shopped very extensively both new and USED 1st ) for $478 dollars free freight. I would use NO OTHER PUMP PERIOD ..! It lasted right at 23 years! 365 days a year, 24-7, for 23 years. That breaks down like this.. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours a week, 168 hours x 365 days a year = 61,320 hours in a year, 61,320 hours x 23 years = 1,410,360 TOTAL HOURS THIS PUMP HAS RUN NON - STOP... NOW you tell me is there a better pump out here..? Really tell me... no other pump will last this long ever! They have never changed anything on these pumps at all. I did talk to the factory direct no changes ever. Take this to the bank period... Oh and I got the dark gray replacement pump just like "I" had before, again bought the new one from BRS aquarium ** Japanese only.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is ONLY one pump to both buy and use. I bought a **Japanese Iwaki 100r** 23 years ago it pumped right at 1900 plus.. gallons an hour 135 plus gallons per min. !. I run 265 gallons total on my system. 2 tanks a 90 and a 110 and a 100 gallon sump of sorts a 100 gallon horse trough lol. Heavy duty pumps these are and with a huge head height. It went bad on me right at 4 months ago now. I bought another one from BRS ( I shopped very extensively both new and USED 1st ) for $478 dollars free freight. I would use NO OTHER PUMP PERIOD ..! It lasted right at 23 years! 365 days a year, 24-7, for 23 years. That breaks down like this.. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours a week, 168 hours x 365 days a year = 61,320 hours in a year, 61,320 hours x 23 years = 1,410,360 TOTAL HOURS THIS PUMP HAS RUN NON - STOP... NOW you tell me is there a better pump out here..? Really tell me... no other pump will last this long ever! They have never changed anything on these pumps at all. I did talk to the factory direct no changes ever. Take this to the bank period... Oh and I got the dark gray replacement pump just like "I" had before, again bought the new one from BRS aquarium ** Japanese only.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao DCP-20000 for me. I have a basement sump and not many return pumps can pump up with good flow up to the main living space. Next pump from a better brand that can do the same flow/pressure is like 3 times the price. I'll just replace it when it dies.

I actually just had my second mag drive pump fail on me this week. Suddenly it starts tripping breakers, no matter where I plug it in. I won't be buying another AC return pump ever. the DC ones are so much more quiet too. Even my DCP-20000 is so quiet I can't hear it even at full flow.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running Dual COR20's right now, and a COR15 for misc loads.

I like the COR's, but I think I might want more power. I used to run a Dolphin AmpMaster 3k, and was super happy with those. I could see myself going back to that category, or maybe a Varios 8S.

The power bricks on the COR's make me super sad though. Like rediculous sad. I keep a spare of those. Also, BSPP. Seriously?

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Syncra SDC 9.0, and not only because I already have one sitting on the shelf. Can't beat their 5 year warranty for under a grand.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just bought a panworld PS200! 1700 gph, no electricity in the tank. Probably good for at least 10 years.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
any pump can have a battery backup, its called a UPS. While I have scotch return pumps I don't use their backup system.

UPS units like the ones used for computers/servers/etc have already been proven as inefficient because of their upconverting losses. They are not useless but they won't run as long as most people believe.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back