If you had to replace your return pump tomorrow, what would you get?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you had to replace your return pump tomorrow, what would you get? Which one would be your choice for your reef and why? What are some important things to consider when choosing a return pump?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Cor 20 and plan on using it along with a Ecotech M2 on my upgrade. If I had to replace them I will go back with the same return pumps.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a Varios 8 return pump and a COR20 utility pump. If I had to replace the return pump I would go with another Varios or a COR to run off my Apex.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 6 months in with a Varios 4 but so far I'm very pleased with the function and build quality.

The one suggestion I can make is that you should have some type of backup pump available on the shelf because they all fail eventually and knowing you can swap one out without worrying about availability and shipping offers great peace of mind. It doesn't have to be an exact replacement but even something cheap that can keep the water moving in an emergency.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you had to replace your return pump tomorrow, what would you get? Which one would be your choice for your reef and why? What are some important things to consider when choosing a return pump?
The cheapest most energy efficient one I could find. Without a lot of 'stuff' that can become problematic. Probably a Sicce

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PanWorld 200PS. I currently have a PanWorld 150PS, and wouldn't mind a little more flow, so I'd get the 200. I get about 3 - 4x turnover with my 150PS, and would be closer to 5x or maybe more with the 200PS. But I have been running around 4X turnover for decades, so it can't be all that bad...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back