If you have fish get a lid/top

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new reefer asked me this morning if a lid was required.

It should be a universal rule that If you have fish, You should have a lid, screen or top of some kind.

Your want or desire for, simply, the look of topless Aquarium is selfish. Fish jump, or surf the glass, or accidentally flip out. It happens or will happen eventually. Protect your beloved fish friends and get a lid.

You can always remove the lid, screen, top to enjoy the top down view while observing your masterpiece in all its glory.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A new reefer asked me this morning if a lid was required.

It should be a universal rule that If you have fish, You should have a lid, screen or top of some kind.

Your want or desire for, simply, the look of topless Aquarium is selfish. Fish jump, or surf the glass, or accidentally flip out. It happens or will happen eventually. Protect your beloved fish friends and get a lid.

You can always remove the lid, screen, top to enjoy the top down view while observing your masterpiece in all its glory.
And the reality is that you can easily see through most mesh covers - and even photograph through them with no problem (from the top down) - and - when looking from the front - you can't even see that there is a lid on the tank

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the reality is that you can easily see through most mesh covers - and even photograph through them with no problem (from the top down) - and - when looking from the front - you can't even see that there is a lid on the tank
Absolutely!

The person beside me in the lfs kept going on about how bad screens look, and then admitted to losing many fish due to not having a lid, but couldn’t stand the look. This is when I couldn’t help but step in and provide some input on the matter, and advise the newbie. Hahaha.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh top if you plan to keep wrasses. Wrasses tend to jump to "Infinity and Beyond" when startled or chased.

Never seen a clown or tang jump

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair they are ugly. I don't want them. You can see through them but it's not the same. But that's why I don't have fish

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh top if you plan to keep wrasses. Wrasses tend to jump to "Infinity and Beyond" when startled or chased.

Never seen a clown or tang jump

100% agree with the wrasses needing lids.

Two buddies have lost a tang and clowns in this manner. The fish were probabLy either spooked or surfing the glass or maybe jumped for food. In either case, losing fish to simply not having a lid is sad.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair they are ugly. I don't want them. You can see through them but it's not the same. But that's why I don't have fish
Sure they don’t look the best, but they serve the purpose. And look better than a dried up pet on the floor. HAha.

If you don’t have fish what do you keep in your Aquarium? I’ve thought about a no fish tank, but love their utility and well I just love fish I guess.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, nope. I’ve had small fish easily jump through a mesh lid as well, and the advantages of not having a lid outweigh the drawbacks. My reef setup encourages fish to stay in the tank, but that’s a separate discussion.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure they don’t look the best, but they serve the purpose. And look better than a dried up pet on the floor. HAha.

If you don’t have fish what do you keep in your Aquarium? I’ve thought about a no fish tank, but love their utility and well I just love fish I guess.
Corals, sponges, zoas, shrimp

Got into this for the corals, not the fish

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree with the wrasses needing lids.

Two buddies have lost a tang and clowns in this manner. The fish were probabLy either spooked or surfing the glass or maybe jumped for food. In either case, losing fish to simply not having a lid is sad.
Edit I had a mesh top I had glass top. On the edges there was a 4-5 mm gap. I lost 3 fish there an 1 trough the feeding gap. Latter have been spotted on time. New mesh top has 1mm gap and closing feeding hole. Hopefully that is something this issue.
Would not advance anyone not to have cover on the top.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, nope. I’ve had small fish easily jump through a mesh lid as well, and the advantages of not having a lid outweigh the drawbacks. My reef setup encourages fish to stay in the tank, but that’s a separate discussion.
Out of interest what fish could jump over a mesh? And what disadvantage mash has?
Glass top has drawbacks, not like you can’t overcome any of them

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I actually just purchased a clear mesh top.

Believe it or not, I witnessed my tiger pistol shrimp literally rocket out of my 20” deep tank when I inadvertently startled him. After watching that, I think I’m pretty willing to believe any fish and most marine life has the potential to jump.

I have always been a little bit reserved about the whole lid thing only because of some post or study or something that I read about the significant loss of par through just about every type of lid. I chose the clear screen because it seems to be the least obstructive, but also because we have a yellow coris wrasse on order from Dr. Reef, and I’m not about to lose such an expensive fish to something so stupid as not having some type of lid.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good example of having an appropriate lid or glass top for the aquarium.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I actually just purchased a clear mesh top.

Believe it or not, I witnessed my tiger pistol shrimp literally rocket out of my 20” deep tank when I inadvertently startled him. After watching that, I think I’m pretty willing to believe any fish and most marine life has the potential to jump.

I have always been a little bit reserved about the whole lid thing only because of some post or study or something that I read about the significant loss of par through just about every type of lid. I chose the clear screen because it seems to be the least obstructive, but also because we have a yellow coris wrasse on order from Dr. Reef, and I’m not about to lose such an expensive fish to something so stupid as not having some type of lid.
It’s such a good choice, and provides real security for you and your fish.
I often remove my lid and enjoy the top down view, and then put it back before I walk away.

Back