If you only saw your tank for 10 days a month, would you still have one?

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, if you saw your tank for only 10 days a month, would you still have one? I’ve always worked shift work, mainly 14/7 shift, so I would be gone out of town for 14 days, then home for 7. Now, I’m doing 20/10. Technically I have more days home, just longer in between.

Reefing helps me tremendously with my anxiety and depression. But, is it going to be worth it, if I only see my tank every 20 days?

My tank is 99% fully automated. And my wife is a stay at home mom. So I’m not worried about “if things go wrong” ( ok , maybe a little).

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was my situation I would probably stick to easy corals. I completely agree with how it helps you with depression and anxiety. When I’m out in the garage with my tanks I get completely relaxed

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar situation lately where I’m out of town Monday to Friday. It kind of sucks to only see it in time to do a water change but I still love it. How long will you be doing this?

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar situation lately where I’m out of town Monday to Friday. It kind of sucks to only see it in time to do a water change but I still love it. How long will you be doing this?
I’ve been doing it my whole life. Probably for the next 5-10 years any ways. It’s the only way to make any money with the career I chose.

My tanks automated, everything from feed to water changes. Only thing I haven’t done, is make my RODI automatically fill my auto top off which would probably be pretty easy

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I sleep home everyday but have been so busy I haven’t been cleaning the glass so I don’t see it anyway. Just a pulsing greenish mess
Every time I clean the glass feel like I have a new tank. Wow. And amazed how good everything is doing.
Love my tank

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work rotating 12s. When I'm on shift, I have no time for the tanks. I do get every 4th week off, sp that's my "mess with the tanks" time. Tonight I looked at the tanks for 30 seconds, dumped some food in and I'm about to crash.

I'd never give it up tho. It's my escape.

greezeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if it was fully automated and softy only. Although...i enjoy tinkering with my tank daily so it would be tough.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree that it helps with depression both my therapists and parents have commented on it.
If I would have time on those 10 days to sit down and watch it yes if no probably not

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably set up a mobile pico tank to take with me for fun :) Still keep the one at home but I wouldn't mind bringing one of those little reef vases with me or some such.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps with your anxiety, keep it and get a Wifi camera setup so you can watch it when gone.
This right here. @RJKain-777, I used to have about the same schedule as you when I took a job outside of being an active duty Marine, but longer away and a few days less at home. It seriously sucked. I got some cheap wyse cameras and would check in on the tank when at the hotel. The wife did an excellent job keeping the tank running and the wyse Camera doubled as a way to see the kids craziness also. Helped tremendously. You will also see things that the fish do that you have never seen before. They don’t see you, so the whole feed me thing is gone.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely understand this. I as well work 80+
Seeing it lights off mornings and almost every evening. Crazy to test at 1am, but it works as its consistency.

Recently Just broke down 2 of 3 tanks, got rid of 90% SPS, went back to LSP / Euphyllia tank.
Stress lowered dramatically, tank running better. Wife feeds the fatty fishes.

Automation & camera helps most, but I'll never give it up, even if it was every 10 days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back