If you remove the crystal lenses......

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I buy a led fixture that has 60 degree lenses, can I just remove them to have a fixture that will give a 120 degree view? First time using leds and I wanted to try out the Chinese black box, but wanted to use 1 on a 40 breeder, a 60 degree lens is just too narrow so I am told, without placing it unreasonably high, would a led fixture this size with a 90 degree lens be adequate?

jjbunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the Mars Aqua light? If so, the LEDs themselves have 90 degree lenses glued on them, whereas the external lenses are 60 degrees. So, if you remove the external lenses you will have a 90 degree spread from each LED. I just did this on my 165W unit, and the light now covers the whole of the sand bed on my 36x18x22 tank: it's suspended about 8" off the water surface.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mars Aqua over an 18 inch deep tank and the lens caused for too much light so I pulled the lenses off and couldn't be happier. They very easily pull right off.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it focuses the light. I was told that lenses increase light intensity by 40 percent. I never noticed "spotlighting" with the Mars, but that could be that they are 90 degree lenses with 55 LEDs fairly close together..

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I just pulled mine off also, get a better light spread doing this.

jjbunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The external lenses are 60 degrees, so there is some spotlighting ... if you shine a light through one you can see the extent of the cone. The LEDs themselves have 90 degree lenses glued on. So without the lenses each LED has a 90 degree cone, which much reduces spotlighting. I removed the externals on mine, but the downside is that the LEDs are then distracting and glare when viewing the tank. I've ordered some 90 degree external lenses to fit - hopefully that will remove the glare when viewing.

reeferbuddy215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you or anyone order 90 degree lenses cuz I'm gonna take my Lens off I have 3 165 watt mars aqua units over a 125 gal and u can see the video shaped shade where light cannot get. Also where do u recommend ordering new lens

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to wake up an old thread. But I have a couple of those 165w LEDs over my 90g reef... Which is 24inch tall and width is 55inch... Im wondering if I should remove the lenses but am worried that light won't penetrate to the bottom... What do you guys suggest? Perhaps pull off some? If so which ones?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to wake up an old thread. But I have a couple of those 165w LEDs over my 90g reef... Which is 24inch tall and width is 55inch... Im wondering if I should remove the lenses but am worried that light won't penetrate to the bottom... What do you guys suggest? Perhaps pull off some? If so which ones?
Yes it will. The mars. Vita Spar sbreeflight alt have more than enough power to do this.

The max power if most of these at 12 in is about 1000 to 1500par with the lenses.

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will. The mars. Vita Spar sbreeflight alt have more than enough power to do this.

The max power if most of these at 12 in is about 1000 to 1500par with the lenses.

Thanks a lot for the reply! My lights are 11" off the surface and I run blue at 60% for 10 hours and white at 35% for 6 hours.

If I remove the lenses how do you suggest I change those settings?? Thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the reply! My lights are 11" off the surface and I run blue at 60% for 10 hours and white at 35% for 6 hours.

If I remove the lenses how do you suggest I change those settings?? Thanks!
Like this.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/
The meter is $15 or so. Just match intensity.

There is the slight chance you may need to increase it slightly as the lenses project a. It more towards the bottom. But just watch the corals. A lensed led has less "fall off" than a t5 the farther away from the lamp you get.

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/
The meter is $15 or so. Just match intensity.

There is the slight chance you may need to increase it slightly as the lenses project a. It more towards the bottom. But just watch the corals. A lensed led has less "fall off" than a t5 the farther away from the lamp you get.

Cool man. I just ordered your flux meter, it should get here by august 30th lol... That's what happens when you live outside the US. Anyways, I'm not sure what number to try and reach for when it gets here. Also, any rule-of-thumb advice with these lights until the lux meter gets here?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devide your Lux reading by 60 and it's fairly close to par.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone actually measured the before and after PAR when removing lenses?
Me, not yet.

Mike at SB has told me it’s a loss of about 20%. I left about half in , B/W mostly, it kep a nice shimmer and gave the nice softspread.

With lenses , at 12in at full its about 650, at 1% it’s about 250.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back