If you remove the crystal lenses......

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by trevorspencer94, Mar 28, 2016.

1. trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94 Active Member

If I buy a led fixture that has 60 degree lenses, can I just remove them to have a fixture that will give a 120 degree view? First time using leds and I wanted to try out the Chinese black box, but wanted to use 1 on a 40 breeder, a 60 degree lens is just too narrow so I am told, without placing it unreasonably high, would a led fixture this size with a 90 degree lens be adequate?

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
    Tags:

2. jjbunn

jjbunn Active Member

Is this the Mars Aqua light? If so, the LEDs themselves have 90 degree lenses glued on them, whereas the external lenses are 60 degrees. So, if you remove the external lenses you will have a 90 degree spread from each LED. I just did this on my 165W unit, and the light now covers the whole of the sand bed on my 36x18x22 tank: it's suspended about 8" off the water surface.

3. trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94 Active Member

Perfect, thanks for the info!

4. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

I have a Mars Aqua over an 18 inch deep tank and the lens caused for too much light so I pulled the lenses off and couldn't be happier. They very easily pull right off.

5. Mussin

Mussin Active Member

So the lenses just focus the light beams? Does it make it spotlight?

6. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

Yes it focuses the light. I was told that lenses increase light intensity by 40 percent. I never noticed "spotlighting" with the Mars, but that could be that they are 90 degree lenses with 55 LEDs fairly close together..

7. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Carbon Doser Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

Yea, I just pulled mine off also, get a better light spread doing this.

8. jjbunn

jjbunn Active Member

The external lenses are 60 degrees, so there is some spotlighting ... if you shine a light through one you can see the extent of the cone. The LEDs themselves have 90 degree lenses glued on. So without the lenses each LED has a 90 degree cone, which much reduces spotlighting. I removed the externals on mine, but the downside is that the LEDs are then distracting and glare when viewing the tank. I've ordered some 90 degree external lenses to fit - hopefully that will remove the glare when viewing.

reeferbuddy215 likes this.
  9. reeferbuddy215

reeferbuddy215 Active Member

Did you or anyone order 90 degree lenses cuz I'm gonna take my Lens off I have 3 165 watt mars aqua units over a 125 gal and u can see the video shaped shade where light cannot get. Also where do u recommend ordering new lens

10. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Carbon Doser Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

11. roibenami

roibenami Active Member

Sorry to wake up an old thread. But I have a couple of those 165w LEDs over my 90g reef... Which is 24inch tall and width is 55inch... Im wondering if I should remove the lenses but am worried that light won't penetrate to the bottom... What do you guys suggest? Perhaps pull off some? If so which ones?

12. leon draper

leon draper Member

Following

13. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Yes it will. The mars. Vita Spar sbreeflight alt have more than enough power to do this.

The max power if most of these at 12 in is about 1000 to 1500par with the lenses.

roibenami likes this.
  14. roibenami

roibenami Active Member

Thanks a lot for the reply! My lights are 11" off the surface and I run blue at 60% for 10 hours and white at 35% for 6 hours.

If I remove the lenses how do you suggest I change those settings?? Thanks!

15. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Like this.
    https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/
    The meter is $15 or so. Just match intensity.

There is the slight chance you may need to increase it slightly as the lenses project a. It more towards the bottom. But just watch the corals. A lensed led has less "fall off" than a t5 the farther away from the lamp you get.

roibenami likes this.
  16. roibenami

roibenami Active Member

Cool man. I just ordered your flux meter, it should get here by august 30th lol... That's what happens when you live outside the US. Anyways, I'm not sure what number to try and reach for when it gets here. Also, any rule-of-thumb advice with these lights until the lux meter gets here?

17. saltyfilmfolks

Devide your Lux reading by 60 and it's fairly close to par.

18. WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Has anyone actually measured the before and after PAR when removing lenses?

19. saltyfilmfolks

Me, not yet.

Mike at SB has told me it’s a loss of about 20%. I left about half in , B/W mostly, it kep a nice shimmer and gave the nice softspread.

With lenses , at 12in at full its about 650, at 1% it’s about 250.

20. WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

What lenses do you recommend removing to get better coverage in between 2 lights? Just the outer lenses?

Draft saved Draft deleted