if You started a new tank would it be a complete system or something you put together

Would you buy a complete box set or each piece seperate?

• Total voters

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a deep rooted DIYer and have done so with all of my tanks. BUT.
Daydreaming about a possible future tank I've started to eyeball a Red Sea REEFER Peninsula 650. I honestly don't know if I could do it cheaper by going the DIY route and so much of the time consuming work & frustration is avoided. I'd have to decide on lights, pumps, skimmer, etc., which would probably scratch my DIY itch enough.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just starting my hobby journey. i am learning and gaining experience. because of this, i am using diy options because each thing i do myself teaches me basic knowledge. there are talented artists who create beauty there are collectors who display fantastic works in their homes. then there are those beginners like me who get satisfaction from basic function and personal achievement. i am in awe of the set ups i see. both the high art and science and the obviously hand made craft systems. if this was work i would do plug-and-play, turn-key, get it done solutions; since this is play, i like " wellll, what about this? what about that? why is this needed? why is that needed? should i use this concentration? what if i?' i think on the learning curve i would miss so much using an AIO.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is the best way imo. I can shave a significant amount of $$ off. I dont trust the rimless or the stands

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank was a RSR170. Beautiful tank and didn't have to think too hard setting it up, plus it looks so nice was easily family decision on having it dining area. Second tank we just picked up last week is just a glass box which will be much more DIY and looking forward that part of it as well.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is soooo much you can do if you are even a little proficient at DIY. I really enjoy being able to select components, put things where i want for ease of maintenance, adapt to my particular room, etc. Plus I love the engineering project of putting it all together.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is the best way imo. I can shave a significant amount of $$ off. I dont trust the rimless or the stands
I love my rimless aquarium although I did add a 1-1/4 wide x 1/4" thick glass frame around the top edge to eliminate splashing over the sides when working in it and to provide a small shelf while working on things.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second person to comment on the rimless aspect. So what’s wrong with rimless? Why don’t you trust??

I've seen them bow. Majority need more support & are poorly designed imo. The net tops you need are expensive & a total pain to make look clean. One manufacturer was even trying to cover up failures in larger models. Just my little 2c

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying is almost certainly going to be cheaper, but hey, it's my hobby... I enjoy planing and building a system myself. Add in the satisfaction of knowing that your system is unique... it's a good thing.

FulTank.jpg

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second person to comment on the rimless aspect. So what’s wrong with rimless? Why don’t you trust??

I've seen them bow. Majority need more support & are poorly designed imo. The net tops you need are expensive & a total pain to make look clean. One manufacturer was even trying to cover up failures in larger models. Just my little 2c

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying is almost certainly going to be cheaper, but hey, it's my hobby... I enjoy planing and building a system myself. Add in the satisfaction of knowing that your system is unique... it's a good thing.

FulTank.jpg
What size is this guy? Nice tank. Always wanted a peninsula setup in the living room.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of my current tank is DIY... But... I've learned my limitations while building my current system. While I would still put my system together a piece at a time, I would buy each piece rather than DIY it. Every piece would be new and high quality.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of the visible water line on the rimless tanks. Its distracting to me. Also I'm a bit odd. I like doing things myself. Half the fun for me is building something for my system.

DIY all the way
I’m not a fan of the visible water line either. So what’s the alternative??

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you trust? Personal experience or have you heard horror stories? Please share!

No horror story’s or anything, just personal preference. I am just one of those sort of old set in his way types The rimless tank reminds me of a board game box. When you get a new board game the box is nice and square. You take the top off the the bottom section is nice and square. After a while, eventually one of the corners rips and the pieces all spill out. When you put it away you tuck the corner in the top (the tank rim) and it holds it all together. The box (tank) needs that top (rim).

i know crazy right. But, that’s me.

Back