if You started a new tank would it be a complete system or something you put together

Would you buy a complete box set or each piece seperate?

• Total voters

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all you great family and friends of R2R,

I have had this question on my mind for a while now. And to free up valuable memory space I figured I would finally ask it and see what everyone felt. I came from a day when there were no complete set up tanks like IM, Waterbox, Nuvo, RS, BIocube, etc

MY QUESTION;
Would you rather buy a separate tank, stand, and equipment, or order the whole set up in boxes and put it together?

Do not bring quality into this. I would like to know if you would buy an entire set up out of a box and put it together or prefer being a real reefer :cool: and gather and building the equipment peice by piece.

((aHH kidding, figured that would get everone going, so go..... build or buy :p ????

Last edited:

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no real plumbing experience. I have done plenty of FOWLR tanks over the past 20 years (30, 60, 90, 180 and now currently a 20g Nuvo AIO), they had always been canister and HOB equipment.

My next tank I want to go big (over 120), and after research and logic, I will go PNP like Redsea or most likely Waterbox. Yes I could save a thousand dollars at least DYI, but I just don’t have the skills for it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I briefly looked at the largest Waterbox. I enjoy building the system myself and that's part of why I do this. I also had certain requirements that I don't think would have been accommodated by a turn key system.

I think they are very nice though and would be happy to have one.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think that all comes down to a money thing. AIO's are not that cheap but you get most everything you need to start (plus $$$ for lights or just better lights). But then how long will it be before your not happy with the prefab setup or the equipment starts to fail. Then again if someone is not up to plumbing and tinkering then a tank in a box is maybe a good option. I've always gone the build a tank route with hand picked equipment but its usually considerably more money unless you have the patience to find used pieces. I shudder to think the cash I have put into my current setup but the goal was the be as automated as practical. Even at that I have spent $$$ on failed equipment.

I also shudder to think I actually considered one of the Redsea's as a second large tank with all the quality problems they are having. Tank two will be built from the ground up.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build. I put my 120 together over the period of almost a year. That way I got eveything I wanted on my terms.
Most new some used.
I for one did not want a center overflow system. I did look at them but I like the open design of my stand alot. Make working on things super easy.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should make this a poll!

I'm a build it kinda guy. Pre-fab or custom tank/stand, and then do the rest myself.

Done :cool:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a build it guy as well. I always suggest to those upgrading to seriously consider going the custom route. Even if they have little to no experience, theres plenty of help around here for pretty much every issue one could come across. I almost always see people having to deal with some type of compromise when looking at stock system options. And especially if you're upgrading, you shouldn't have to compromise. The cost of a custom system for the most part really isn't a crazy amount more than stock systems and you get exactly what you want out of it.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always thought the "build it" mentality was one of the biggest attractant's to reef keeping.

For me, I would DIY a protein skimmer if it would produce a reliable output for the time/money investment.

Question remains for a diy inclined person is where to draw the line? I cannot shape/machine plastic nearly as well as reef octopus/skimz etc. can.

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it is completely opposite of what I have now, if I started a complete new set-up, I would go for the all-in-one. I really liked how “finished” some of the all-in-ones look.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase a RSR750 as it appeared to be the easiest way to quickly get the 180G I wanted. In hindsight I’d get a custom display, stand and sump. Mainly for better overflows/returns, a taller stand and better sump. Plus from what I understand you can have tanks made with ABS bottoms now which would’ve been awesome for bare bottom

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably buy a new tank/stand combo. As for the equipment, I'm too particular and cheap to go for the whole package. Kind of customize it to fit my style.
If I bought everything together, I'd have nothing to screw up and kick myself for later. What fun is that? :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back