If you were a RBTA, would you eat yourself?

OP
C

Chrisv.

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Kids like to suck their thumbs for years sometimes. If no one told you not to, wouldn't you?
As a matter of fact as a young child, I did! My parents told me that if I stopped, I would be allowed to keep a snake as a pet, if I could catch one myself. They thought I would never catch a snake on my own. Who encourages a four year old to pick up random snakes. I had a pet snake within a week.

OP
C

Chrisv.

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
But more to the point, I've had the anemone for 8 months. Over that time it has moved very little. Flow and light have not changed much. But over the last three weeks he has gone from a mostly pink rainbow bta with a greenish body to having half of each tentacle green, with red ends...and an oral fixation.

OP
C

Chrisv.

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'll have to pay more attention to my nem and see if it's nibbling on its arms. They kinda just go everywhere, so I haven't thought much about self consumption.
It doesn't seem to be doing any damage, so my headline was more of a joke than an actual concern about self consumption. But the behavior sure does seem strange!

RAP
OP
C

Chrisv.

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
yes, if he catch small chunks of food at that place. I used to feed them manually small chunks of food once in a while (When I didnt hate them that much), and that is how they eat.
Oh I was making a joke about anemone suicide. But in all seriousness, these anemone arms are shoulder deep! It's often a tentacle that is 1/3 away from the mouth that is as far i to it's mouth as it can go. Normally when I target feed, the whole anemone balls up around the food.

blaxsun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My BTA has made two loops around a particular rock face over the past few days - including squeezing through a tiny recess under the rocks. Why? Why not apparently...

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

How long does it take to you to get an inch of acropora growth? (on average)

• A couple of weeks or less

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Up to 1 month

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Up to 2 months

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Up to 3 months

Votes: 38 16.8%
  • Up to 6 months

Votes: 51 22.6%
  • Up to 12 months

Votes: 17 7.5%