If you were buying a house, what would you look for?

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're planning to move next summer and will likely be buying a new house if we find one that we like. We're already researching neighborhoods, schools, and whatnot -- but it occurs to me -- if you could buy a house with a configuration that would be especially useful for reefing, what would you look for?

Right now we have a house with no basement (California, basements not a great idea), and I'm also already realizing that having the tank up against a wall that can pop a pipe through to the garage would make things a lot easier for installing a RODI system, pipes for auto water changes, space for a sump, etc -- so that's one thing. But what else? I'm also thinking that balancing this kind of convenience-to-the-garage with nice central placement for a peninsula-style tank requires even more logistics/specific floor planning, etc...

If you could have a particular configuration in a house that would be perfect for your needs, what would that be? Or do you already have something that works especially well?

(As I type this, I'm also realizing that the one wall in the house that is shared with the garage is also the darkest room in the house, which would be helpful for controlling light levels...)

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i was in san diego i ran my equipment in the garage, it was nice but caused me to use a chiller. I think a closet or utility room that is air conditioned would be better. I think you need to find a home that fits your needs and try to visualize a tank.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfinished basement so I can do whatever I want in terms of tank placement and fish room. Now, if the plan is to put the tank in a 1st floor living room or something then that gets more complicated. I've thoroughly enjoyed not having to worry about leaks or spills or neglecting tank maintenance every once in a while by having my tank in the basement. I don't see it as often but that's ok.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're planning to move next summer and will likely be buying a new house if we find one that we like. We're already researching neighborhoods, schools, and whatnot -- but it occurs to me -- if you could buy a house with a configuration that would be especially useful for reefing, what would you look for?

Right now we have a house with no basement (California, basements not a great idea), and I'm also already realizing that having the tank up against a wall that can pop a pipe through to the garage would make things a lot easier for installing a RODI system, pipes for auto water changes, space for a sump, etc -- so that's one thing. But what else? I'm also thinking that balancing this kind of convenience-to-the-garage with nice central placement for a peninsula-style tank requires even more logistics/specific floor planning, etc...

If you could have a particular configuration in a house that would be perfect for your needs, what would that be? Or do you already have something that works especially well?

(As I type this, I'm also realizing that the one wall in the house that is shared with the garage is also the darkest room in the house, which would be helpful for controlling light levels...)
Right next to an ocean which has natural reefs :)
Nowhere near a city.

Run a hose to the sea once a week for water changes :)
Solar on the roof with a big house battery for power.

Maybe a private airstrip for visitors.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would want for a new home?.. Well build, not buy.

Few acres. No stick frame. Block and 'crete or prefab concrete. Metal roof, I hate shingles, embedded gravel in knees and hands, no more scooping grit from gutters. Dug pond and raised land to eliminate flood risk (Florida). Hybrid Slab with a SEALED air conditioned crawlspace. Detached 3 car garage for yard stuff and hobby equipment.

And an army of geese.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I moved all my equipment for the tank outside onto a patio about 20 years ago, and then moved that to the side of the house 5 years ago.

I would look for a house with a large side yard, and easy plumbing access to the location I want the tank. Even if that means trenching thru the house to bury some pipes.

The freedom of all the mess and noise being outside it great. Wanna do a messy 200g water change at 1am - No problem. And you aren't cramped for space.

Dave B

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you’re moving to, but I have a 20kW backup generator for the house. Powers most critical circuits — including the one for the fish tank. If it doesn’t have one, add it.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slab basement. My current house has a slab and it's stress free, well almost. I pulled the carpet and use area rugs. Basically a 350 SQ ft fish room.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would look for a house that has a prominent location for you to enjoy a reef tank that will not be out of sight and out of mind. y basement tank didn't get a lot of "views" because we didn't use the basement as much as we thought we would.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my current house build with a fish room and access to tank, now I am building retirement house ( outside California), with fish room again.
For a large reef tank you need reinforced floor and my current house has concrete floor, but in my future house there is a crawl space, so builder is reinforcing floor according specifications I provided from tank manufacturer.
You need water resistant floor around tank, preferably tile or other material which would not be negatively affected by saltwater.
You need to find location for the tank away from window and in low traffic area. Dedicated electrical circuit is preferable.
Now issue of making RODI- either garage or laundry, so need to research that. I have utility sink in a fish room behind a tank and cutout in the wall for water drainage and water changes.

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the basement for a large sump refuge and water changes. Display on first floor. Calls for a return pump that handles head height but has worked great for me in the past. I had two large displays plumbed into the one sump below.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Somewhere warm with a 3 car garage, workshop, one I can incorporate a fish room into, Air conditioning nd skylight. Finished basement and sunroom and fireplace

PALuxton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are on septic/leaching field, and my husband is not a fan of dumping salt water down the drain, as it could affect the balance of bacteria to break down our waste - I know there are varying opinions on this so take it for what it is. That being said, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to haul my salt water out to the curb to dump in the sewer for much longer. So a new house for me would be on public sewer/septic, and not a private leaching field.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are on septic/leaching field, and my husband is not a fan of dumping salt water down the drain, as it could affect the balance of bacteria to break down our waste - I know there are varying opinions on this so take it for what it is. That being said, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to haul my salt water out to the curb to dump in the sewer for much longer. So a new house for me would be on public sewer/septic, and not a private leaching field.
I use a cheap Amazon 800 gph pump, use my garden hose and pump it to the street sewer. No bucket haul.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back