If you were buying a house, what would you look for?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are on septic/leaching field, and my husband is not a fan of dumping salt water down the drain, as it could affect the balance of bacteria to break down our waste - I know there are varying opinions on this so take it for what it is. That being said, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to haul my salt water out to the curb to dump in the sewer for much longer. So a new house for me would be on public sewer/septic, and not a private leaching field.
Good thing, salt water and the cement box used for septic don't mix.
Currently in my area, they are separating water softener systems and the septic because it caused a lot of problems with septic tanks. And as you know that is all salt.
On my auto water change system I drain it outside into one of the downspouts that goes underground and away from the house.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well am in California and homes with Basements in the Central Valley are few and far between. Mines on a slab, which is nice because I dont have to worry about joists. It would be nice to not have my Water tanks and such in the garage though. Unfortunately I dont have any way to set up an auto water change, so I just dont do em. ;)

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unfished area of the basement that contained a logically placed floor drain, an air exchanger and a basement walk out so I would not be restricted on the size of the tank I could fit downstairs as I am now, rest is imagination.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right next to an ocean which has natural reefs :)
Nowhere near a city.

Run a hose to the sea once a week for water changes :)
Solar on the roof with a big house battery for power.

Maybe a private airstrip for visitors.
If you're in the right place you don't even need to run a hose to the ocean. You can drill a saltwater well. This is what the Waikiki aquarium does. Natural sunlight with some supplemental blue leds.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back