Illumagic Blaze, Radion G5 Blue or Orphek?

Which would you choose?

• Illumagic Blaze

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Radion XR15 G5 Blue

Votes: 45 41.7%
  • Orphek V4

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • Kessil A360X

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

Lunardogz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently running the Radion Gen 5 over my tank. The spread is phenomenal. Wait for a few more months for ETM to clean up the bugs if you’re planning to get them there are threads on the forum about the first batch of production. Kessil won’t give you high PAR if your tank is 20”+ tall, but will have great shimmer. Opherk is great, but it’s a little heavy and bulky in the design.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the orphek atlantik v4 mounted to the back glass with their tank mount kit. It looks great, works great. App isn't the greatest as far as it crashes frequently at times, but it's set and forget after you get your schedule you want. Color is great. 1 fixture mounted above my 3' tank has relatively good coverage. There is definite shadowing at the edges but still growing LPS at the ends. I would almost want to wait to see if this philips coral care 2 is coming any time soon, sleek.

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I went with two G5’s blue and I’m glad I did.
The coverage and color blending is similar to my thr t5/led hybrid. I added a sbreef bar to the front and I can’t even tell if it’s on or not. Almost as if it’s not needed.
I’ve also heard from others who owned both the orphek and G5’s and they say the G5’s hands down the better light. The orpheks par drops off outside the length of the fixture, you get disco ball effect and the occasional LED/board swapping.

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with two G5’s blue and I’m glad I did.
The coverage and color blending is similar to my thr t5/led hybrid. I added a sbreef bar to the front and I can’t even tell if it’s on or not. Almost as if it’s not needed.
I’ve also heard from others who owned both the orphek and G5’s and they say the G5’s hands down the better light. The orpheks par drops off outside the length of the fixture, you get disco ball effect and the occasional LED/board swapping.
Yeah got myself 3 g5 xr15s blue for my 120 gallon sps tank. Spread is insane. But ull need a canopy for it. It lights up the whole room lol.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew, glad you went with Radions... because I strongly recommend AGAINST Orphek. I made the wrong choice 3 years ago. Should have gone with Radions back then. =/

saj01c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Illumagic fixture and it looks great on my tank. Great spread. I have a canopy so I used the hanging kit that came with the fixture.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think one would be sufficient for a mixed Reef 24”L x 12”D?

I run a single A360X over my DIY AIO 20g long tank. The display is roughly 24"x12" and everything I put in the tank does well. You can check out my build thread for more info but my light is about 12 inches above the tank and I could probably lower it to 10". The light itself maxes at 52% peak.

I honestly don't get why people say this light isn't that powerful. I feel like some people don't use the full power of their lights. My lFS owner said radions are dangerous because they can easily fry any corals you put under them if you arn't careful and I would agree. Radions might be powerful, but I think seldom do you have a tank deep enough you need that full power.

guts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a single A360X over my DIY AIO 20g long tank. The display is roughly 24"x12" and everything I put in the tank does well. You can check out my build thread for more info but my light is about 12 inches above the tank and I could probably lower it to 10". The light itself maxes at 52% peak.

I honestly don't get why people say this light isn't that powerful. I feel like some people don't use the full power of their lights. My lFS owner said radions are dangerous because they can easily fry any corals you put under them if you arn't careful and I would agree. Radions might be powerful, but I think seldom do you have a tank deep enough you need that full power.
Sweet DIY work you’ve done. Did you do any PAR readings? Looks like you haven’t had any SPS long enough to see any growth, which is my concern. Sure the Kessil is enough to sustain, but growth is another thing. From my research I saw the Kessil pushes sub 250 on mostly blue colors. Have you observed otherwise?

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet DIY work you’ve done. Did you do any PAR readings? Looks like you haven’t had any SPS long enough to see any growth, which is my concern. Sure the Kessil is enough to sustain, but growth is another thing. From my research I saw the Kessil pushes sub 250 on mostly blue colors. Have you observed otherwise?
Unfortunately I have not taken any par readings. At this point I don't really plan on doing so as I've got it in my head that I HAVE to go to a much larger tank already. So a much much bigger tank (100+ gallon) is in the works hopefully within the next six months. As far as growth on SPS, my campfire digi has very noticeable growth on it. I'd say 1/4" of growth Since I got it in the beginning of March. Which may not be much to some but for me it means I'm not killing it. lol

I know I had setback in growth as both my nitrates and phosphates bottomed out for while. Things really only started to stabilize mid March for the tank. Since then, I've finally gotten my zoa's to start to grow, my cloves seem to grow a new head every two weeks or so. In fact I see two new stems about to form a head with two more nubs starting. When I first got my green monti I placed it too high in the tank and it lost all of its green coloration. I caught it right away and moved it. It has since colored up even brighter than what it was at the LFS when I bought it. For me being new to the saltware world, its hard for me to spot slow growth sometimes. I should also note, that I see no noticeable coraline algae growth. I don't think that its a light issue either, I'm positive it has to do with my nutrient issue. I do have several frag plugs with coraline on them, so I know its in the tank, it just isn't spreading. I bring that up because I've read that coraline is a good indication of the right conditions for growth of SPS corals.

I firmly believe that this light will have no problem growing out SPS. Again, my light schedule peaks out at 52%. 2 hour ramp up from 50% to 52% and then another 2 hours back down to 50%. If you turned the light up to 70-80% I'm sure you'd have no issue with growth in a SPS dominate tank.

alfpiccolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think one would be sufficient for a mixed Reef 24”L x 12”D?
I ran a Kessil 360WE for a long time on my Reefer 170. I do not have any PAR reading but my SPS is colorful and healthy. But my coral do shows shadowing. A year ago, I came across Illumagic and with Luis Rosa's tank youtube:

I bought the x60 to fit RS 170. Then I saw the difference with my coral coloring up so quickly within a month time! I do not see any shadowing either.
So I do not have PAR reading but the same setting with just changing the light fixture. I vote for Illumagic over Kessil today still. a few months ago, I upgraded my tank to the 300xl....but I still have the Blaze 60x hanging on the 36" tank. This is insufficient and need another upgrade.
with the new Radions G5 LED configuration, I am now on the fence whether to get the 90x or two XR 15.... I like what the spread that illumagic provided as Luis Rosa stated (he used Radions before he change to Illumagic Blaze). But will he still keep his Illumagic Blaze over the all new Gen5 Radions now?

Orphek

Orphek- Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Orphek went back and BRS confirmed it had two diodes were bad in it on a new unit. My illumagic shows up tomorrow, but heavily considered G5, or G4. from my research everyone said G4 was just as good and the money wasn't worth an upgrade. If that helps any, I can let you know what I think of the illumagic when I get it going

Hi , Sorry to hear this , but the two LEDs are 850nm IR and you can not see any light come out , but thy are important LEDs.
we explain about at the produact page ,

9E379C97-A982-44D0-8BF2-C5248F0F9ECC.jpeg

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, chiming in here late since I didn't know illumagic existed and was about to get a G5 blue. is there a reason it's not more known? Seeing amazing reviews from personal users

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While many lights including cheap Chinese black boxes all will grow corals... I recommend going with Radion since majority of top vendors use them.

And when you have issues with coral coloration/growth, you won't have to wonder if it's your lighting.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While many lights including cheap Chinese black boxes all will grow corals... I recommend going with Radion since majority of top vendors use them.

And when you have issues with coral coloration/growth, you won't have to wonder if it's your lighting.
I have used black boxes inbthe past andcsti would do. Growing corals with colour was never a problem with them. There are wants and needs in this hobby. With lighting I have a want. Best VFM light on the market for ne are the Evergrow range. I currently have Orphek Atlantics V4 2s that I got cheaply. Do I need them, heck no.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, chiming in here late since I didn't know illumagic existed and was about to get a G5 blue. is there a reason it's not more known? Seeing amazing reviews from personal users
don't hesitate. great lights, easily adjusted, acclimation mode and finally solid spread. i should mention that mobius has been a painless app for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back