IM 10 for the win!

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya buddy! Twins, I like the cover for the back compartment. Do you like to AI prime? I would be into the moonlight mode because the kessil A160 doesn’t have a moonlight mode.

I do like the AI Prime 16HD. I think its better with the diffuser. The moonlight mode is pretty awesome actually. The schedule I set up uses moonlight mode. I've since turned on the "moon phase" in the settings. It kinda overwrites your schedule but uses and simulates the actual phases of the moon. I've had it turned on for the last couple weeks, not sure just yet if I'll leave it on or just go with my schedule. Overall though the 16HD was worth the money spent, but get the diffuser.

OP
OP
MorganJ6

MorganJ6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the AI Prime 16HD. I think its better with the diffuser. The moonlight mode is pretty awesome actually. The schedule I set up uses moonlight mode. I've since turned on the "moon phase" in the settings. It kinda overwrites your schedule but uses and simulates the actual phases of the moon. I've had it turned on for the last couple weeks, not sure just yet if I'll leave it on or just go with my schedule. Overall though the 16HD was worth the money spent, but get the diffuser.
That’s cool, I’ve heard of moon phase and that would be epic. I like the Prime but not sure about the mounting arm because it looks like my skimmer would be in the way or at least it is with the kessil mounting arm, that’s it’s not centered. What skimmer are you using?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s up Peace River, I am now a build thread contributor. Thanks for the help! How did you become staff here? IT background? Just wondering. Thanks again!

Congratulations on the new banner - it looks good on you! :)

Interesting question. For fear of oversimplifying it, I would suggest that being nice, being knowledgeable (at least in some areas), staying engaged, demonstrating commitment, and being a good cultural fit are all factors.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool, I’ve heard of moon phase and that would be epic. I like the Prime but not sure about the mounting arm because it looks like my skimmer would be in the way or at least it is with the kessil mounting arm, that’s it’s not centered. What skimmer are you using?

Yes, the skimmer would be in the way. I made a mount from a 1.5 x .75 piece of maple. I Sealed it and painted it flat black. I mounted that to my stand and then put the light mount on that. There's no way it would fit with the skimmer

I’m going to get rid of the plastic bracket. I drilled two holes in the wood piece on the back side. I’ll mount the vertical bar on the light mount directly to the wood. The light mount is keeping the compartment cover from sitting flat. There’s a cut out on the cover I just don’t want to take it out.

it’s kinda hard to see, but here’s a pic.

120C73B3-F6A8-4096-9E95-2E4BF3B6C5E6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MorganJ6

MorganJ6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the skimmer would be in the way. I made a mount from a 1.5 x .75 piece of maple. I Sealed it and painted it flat black. I mounted that to my stand and then put the light mount on that. There's no way it would fit with the skimmer.
it’s kinda hard to see, but here’s a pic.

120C73B3-F6A8-4096-9E95-2E4BF3B6C5E6.jpeg
That’s a really good idea! Retrofitting, just my style! I was wondering how people were setting them up, What skimmer are you using?

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really good idea! Retrofitting, just my style! I was wondering how people were setting them up, What skimmer are you using?

The IM (Aqua Gadget) DC Desktop skimmer. I made a small platform from egg crate to raise it a little to get it to skim the way I wanted it to. It works pretty well though. Although for some reason it overflowed yesterday... don't know why.

OP
OP
MorganJ6

MorganJ6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM (Aqua Gadget) DC Desktop skimmer. I made a small platform from egg crate to raise it a little to get it to skim the way I wanted it to. It works pretty well though. Although for some reason it overflowed yesterday... don't know why.
I hear ya! I got it a couple months ago and it overflows some nights, it’s harder to dial in. Instead of raising it, I keep the cup really high up so it doesn’t skim so wet and over flow. Way less micro bubbles than my last skimmer for sure though.

OP
OP
MorganJ6

MorganJ6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new banner - it looks good on you! :)

Interesting question. For fear of oversimplifying it, I would suggest that being nice, being knowledgeable (at least in some areas), staying engaged, demonstrating commitment, and being a good cultural fit are all factors.
Thanks! Just need to find out how to get more cool banners now!
Haha
That’s really cool, I’ve noticed that everyone here is really nice/supportive. It’s a good community. Thanks for sharing that with me. I’m going to check out you mr build thread!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Just need to find out how to get more cool banners now!
Haha
That’s really cool, I’ve noticed that everyone here is really nice/supportive. It’s a good community. Thanks for sharing that with me. I’m going to check out you mr build thread!

Two banners that I would suggest pursuing first are the Hospitality banner and the R2R Supporter banner.

You may find this thread interesting:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great! I'd like to do this for my kids rooms. Are you using an HOB skimmer? I didnt see one in your cabinet. This is probably the sexiest looking nano I've seen. Congrats!

OP
OP
MorganJ6

MorganJ6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I'd like to do this for my kids rooms. Are you using an HOB skimmer? I didnt see one in your cabinet. This is probably the sexiest looking nano I've seen. Congrats!
What’s up Mikeltee, it’s the innovative marine desktop skimmer - fits in the back compartment of the all-in-one tank. I’ll attach a picture. Thanks man! I originally was just going to have clowns and a nem for my son, then I started adding corals... haha
D1C04DF1-2D9D-499A-A4B0-60E2CFAE17D1.jpeg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How hard is it to clean being an AIO? How much time spent doing maintenance per month? I assume you just do a few 2gal water changes a month to keep good parameters. I'm seriously in love with this idea now! I just got a new nem and I'm sure I'll have clones before too long this would be. Good use for a couple of them.

OP
OP
MorganJ6

MorganJ6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard is it to clean being an AIO? How much time spent doing maintenance per month? I assume you just do a few 2gal water changes a month to keep good parameters. I'm seriously in love with this idea now! I just got a new nem and I'm sure I'll have clones before too long this would be. Good use for a couple of them.
Clean the glass every other day or less, use a turkey baster to dust of the rocks every other day, change some filter pads in the media basket a couple times a week, 3 gallon water change once a week and once a month I do a 4 gallon water change but i take everything out of the back compartment and clean it and scrub the back compartment with a pipe brush, siphon the water out of the back compartment and change the rest of water from the display (ends up being about 3 gallons from the display still).

The small water changes take maybe 10 mins start to finish. The bigger water change takes maybe an hour but you’re cleaning all of the equipment too. It’s really not that bad, my wife’s mentioned a couple times how much easier this one is to maintain compared to my old JBJ 28g cube.

OP
OP
MorganJ6

MorganJ6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi their! What switch did you get off amazon to control the ATO?
Hey Crass! It’s the amazon plug for Alexa, you can create a routine that will turn it on and off throughout the day, mine’s setup for a minute every few hours. Haven’t flooded the living room since! I’ll post a pic of it from the amazon app, hope that helps!
I’m not sure why it now says “certified for humans” makes me wonder which one I got...
6A899264-A883-4530-8322-86A258860FF1.png

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Crass! It’s the amazon plug for Alexa, you can create a routine that will turn it on and off throughout the day, mine’s setup for a minute every few hours. Haven’t flooded the living room since! I’ll post a pic of it from the amazon app, hope that helps!
I’m not sure why it now says “certified for humans” makes me wonder which one I got...
6A899264-A883-4530-8322-86A258860FF1.png

Awesome thank you! My dang turbo snails keep triggering my ATO (blocking overflow on AIO, lowers water level in return chamber where the sensor is)

Saw youre post and it clued in as the perfect solution. Saved me returing my snails!

OP
OP
MorganJ6

MorganJ6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new pictures of the tank, everything has been pretty happy. How’s everyone else’s tanks going?

B4402EAC-8738-4C94-A715-86B1A9DD7671.jpeg
DB04BDFA-B5D4-460A-91D6-1A10D98DB90C.jpeg
E87843CB-800E-4506-90CE-F344D93A8FA3.jpeg
5EB2E328-3A36-4BBB-B6A8-1B40FDBEF2F6.jpeg
5C51E2A7-94C0-43E5-B3A1-B8F0E73EA674.jpeg
4F90CF1A-FE07-42B0-B494-70F8AE3D99D0.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back