Im 14 vs IM20 couch tank?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am still playing around with a nano idea talked it over with the GF and she liked the idea of a AIO more than canister filter or HOB. not that she filly understands it all but we talked about it for a while. as you all know if the other half like the tank you more likely to get "permission"

all that said I do like the looks of the IM tanks. if money was no issue I would get the 20 hands down however lighting it is the issue this idea was suppose to be a little project tank not speeds more on lighting than my 90 tank...haha

the focus on this tank is going to be RFA and mini max nems but would love to have the option for a BTA so a nem tank. not sure what the par is needed for RFA and MMA? anyone know?

so the Im 14 one AI prime would do the trick and still look sleek. but for the 20 0nly 10" more scapng room would need to get 2 this bumps up the price quite a bit + finding away to keep it looking good.

the other option is the current orbit IC pro 24" its a strip light does look good but if there info is correct and I am understanding it @ 9-12" you would be getting 50-70 par.

anyway if anyone have any thoughts please chime in.

I am leaning towards a peninsula tank, but tank placement is not 100% worked out yet so I may not go with a peninsula tank but I really want one! ;p

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what is the difference between the IC pro and the pro?

Look at the more powerful led's in the ole Marine Pro's on DF&S's

p-93944-84101V-84103V.jpg

I'd still look into those OR bars.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not get any wave effect with the ole Marine Pro bars, but you can grow sps with them.

It's your call and just trying to help out.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not get any wave effect with the ole Marine Pro bars, but you can grow sps with them.

It's your call and just trying to help out.

and thank you!

ah now I see the difference. thanks for pointing that out. such a odd size tank to light long and shallow.

how does the IM build quality comapare the the fluval 13.5?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 14 peninsula. Very good build quality. I lit it with a single Kessil A160WE rather close to the water to limit light spillover. I had a few dark spots in the upper corners of the tank but I didn't have corals in the upper corners either. If you have a place for the extra length, I would get the 20 for the extra space. The peninsula design changes the way you have to think about scaping a tank.

I also agree with @GoVols on looking into the Orphek bars for the 20 peninsula. I hear they are coming out with a dimmer for them, so they could be a very cost effective option for your tank. 2 OR-60 bars at 25" long would cover your tank and grow anything you wanted for 240 bucks.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 14 peninsula. Very good build quality. I lit it with a single Kessil A160WE rather close to the water to limit light spillover. I had a few dark spots in the upper corners of the tank but I didn't have corals in the upper corners either. If you have a place for the extra length, I would get the 20 for the extra space. The peninsula design changes the way you have to think about scaping a tank.

I also agree with @GoVols on looking into the Orphek bars for the 20 peninsula. I hear they are coming out with a dimmer for them, so they could be a very cost effective option for your tank. 2 OR-60 bars at 25" long would cover your tank and grow anything you wanted for 240 bucks.

I leaning towards the 20 or 25 lagoon...I think I will just be unhappy with the 14. if I am gonna go smaller i would get the evo 13.5
for lighting for the 20 peninsula I would go with the orbit marine PRO 24" with 60 digree optics that should grow anything I want + the control is nice to.

no if the Orphek comes out with a controllable bar I would be more into that. but just on and off not is not what I want for this little tank.
if I end up going with the lagoon one AI prime would do the trick.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leaning towards the 20 or 25 lagoon...I think I will just be unhappy with the 14. if I am gonna go smaller i would get the evo 13.5
for lighting for the 20 peninsula I would go with the orbit marine PRO 24" with 60 digree optics that should grow anything I want + the control is nice to.

no if the Orphek comes out with a controllable bar I would be more into that. but just on and off not is not what I want for this little tank.
if I end up going with the lagoon one AI prime would do the trick.

If you're even considering the Lagoon, go with it. I think you'll be much happier with the wider design. 12" wide peninsula is really hard to scape and get good flow. Working in the tank is also a nightmare.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the spot where I was going to put the nano is kinda by the other tank so GF thinks it would look better on the other side of the room..ugg I was really hoping for a peninsula. I still can she will "let" haha she is a keeper but I kinda agree now after thinking about it some more. leave it up to the ladies to point out the obvious

either go small like the evo 13.5/IM14 or the like or move it to the other side of the room and go with :
40br with I have most of not all the goodies
IM 20
IM 25
still not sure what i want...

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i think I am gonna go with the IM 25 lagoon. it will be my 1st all in one...
reason why is:
can light with one AI prime.
nice foot print not to big not to small for a 2nd tank.
I would rather have the 20 peninsula but to be honest this just fits the house better.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back