IM 50 Lagoon AOI

Gerard Viola

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey from CT everyone this is my first build three and upgrading from my fluval evo 13 which was my first saltwater tank. Once done and cycled I’ll move the corals and clowns over.

right know the equipment is

1 ai prime 16 had from the old tank will add a second as I add more coral
Ice cap gyre
Finnex heater
Inkbird controller
Mighty jet pump

C09F2748-47DA-4D7F-B921-052EFB19ECD7.jpeg

here’s the old tank from a few months ago
D02F8794-2E69-4235-B85E-DA1EE626120B.jpeg

Last edited:

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your Evo looks awesome, what is your plan for it after the upgrade?

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to love this tank! I just started mine up on Dec 24th, and the dimensions and overall quality of the tank and stand is awesome. Enjoy and I will be following along on your progress.

OP
OP
G

Gerard Viola

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought since I started this build thread should be honest (was pretty embarrassed.) Had a brain fart when I started to cycle the tank and added 1 drop of brightwell ammonia to the tank per gallon instead of 1 per five gallons. Realized I messed up immediately lol. Had to wait a week to drain and redo because I didn’t have time but just restarted today.
I was however able to get the outlet switch bank set up.

was the first time cycling the tank myself so you live and learn

E14A9781-2BFB-4D77-A00A-FBCF82C797A6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gerard Viola

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought since I started this build thread should be honest (was pretty embarrassed.) Had a brain fart when I started to cycle the tank and added 1 drop of brightwell ammonia to the tank per gallon instead of 1 per five gallons. Realized I messed up immediately lol. Had to wait a week to drain and redo because I didn’t have time but just restarted today.
I was however able to get the outlet switch bank set up.

was the first time cycling the tank myself so you live and learn

well I guess my brain is all screwed up from being home all these months, I did put the right amount of ammonia in and didn’t need to do all of this but to late now.

just ran tests and got ammonia of 1.2 so we know move forward

OP
OP
G

Gerard Viola

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so update on the cycle... it’s been going on for over 10 days after dosing brightwell’s ammonia and bacteria

ammonia has gone to zero but I’ve been stuck at 1ppm nitrite with out decreasing. I checked to off water to make sure it had no nitrites in it and it’s zero so not sure if this is normal?

thanks!

OP
OP
G

Gerard Viola

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FC65FB0A-28CC-4D0B-B1E6-9C5CD9ADAEFC.jpeg

So its been too long since my last update, please excuse me. In the timeframe we had our second girl so time has been taken up. The other reason is that I was embarrassed on how the tank looked during the first year. But now after that has passed its important to let everyone know the issues.

I started the tank completely dry and new and had all kinds of dinos, diatoms cyano and super annoying brown hair algae. But now I've realized thats kinda how the first year goes sometimes and everyone should know that. My first tank I started with cycled rock from the LFS so I never had those issues.

Here is the tank now, at the 9 month mark everything started to flow nicely and we are almost at the two year mark. Taking things slowly as I am trying to make this an easy low maintenance tank. The routine is 10-15 gallon water change every other week if I can get to it, no dosing and an auto feeder.

A look into the future:

Would like to get two ecotech versas to run auto water changes, just not in the budget right now.

My 3yr old loves the spongebob decor, already added jack o lantern lepto to the pineapple and maybe doing the same with squidwards house (maybe three different varieties to see what they do, green, pink and yellow) or maybe GSP.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FC65FB0A-28CC-4D0B-B1E6-9C5CD9ADAEFC.jpeg

So its been too long since my last update, please excuse me. In the timeframe we had our second girl so time has been taken up. The other reason is that I was embarrassed on how the tank looked during the first year. But now after that has passed its important to let everyone know the issues.

I started the tank completely dry and new and had all kinds of dinos, diatoms cyano and super annoying brown hair algae. But now I've realized thats kinda how the first year goes sometimes and everyone should know that. My first tank I started with cycled rock from the LFS so I never had those issues.

Here is the tank now, at the 9 month mark everything started to flow nicely and we are almost at the two year mark. Taking things slowly as I am trying to make this an easy low maintenance tank. The routine is 10-15 gallon water change every other week if I can get to it, no dosing and an auto feeder.

A look into the future:

Would like to get two ecotech versas to run auto water changes, just not in the budget right now.

My 3yr old loves the spongebob decor, already added jack o lantern lepto to the pineapple and maybe doing the same with squidwards house (maybe three different varieties to see what they do, green, pink and yellow) or maybe GSP.

Thanks!
Hey, I love the SpongeBob decor too, haha. Tank is doing great

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back