OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good , other than it took over a year to get some GHA growing in it. And I tried so hard not to get it. Funny it's growing in the shadows, not out in the light.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture from today,still wouldn't know there are 5 fish in the tank.
IMG_0272.JPG

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lot of ups but mostly downs with this tank. One of the biggest was I could never get good color out of the coral. On the radion XR15 gen 5 blues I have over it I had the point intensity set to 100% and used the schedule intensity to adjust overall intensity(brightness). i kept lowering it and lowering it and still bleached no color corals. Then one day I turned the schedule intensity to 0, meaning for the whole schedule no light should be on but it was and very bright. So from then on I ran my schedule intensity at 100 % and used my point intensity to adjust overall brightness. This worked great and now I have colors to my corals(SPS), to bad it took me almost 3 years to figure this out. Another thing i would NEVER do again is use nothing but CaribSea Life rock. It just not very porous, no place for good bacteria to live. I got rid of most of it and put some rock from one of my other long running tanks into the 50 and that did wonders.

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this picture the rocks are covered in some kind of fluffy black I don't know. If you touched it it would like suck itself in and turn brown. It would over grow the corals and kill them. Snails would not eat it, nor would a yellow tang. I bought a pincushion urchin to eat it but it died within in 2 days but not before giving the tank flatworms. I tried a blue tuxedo urchin next it made it and ate all the black stuff in less than a month. Four doses of Flatworm Exit over 3 weeks killed the flatworms

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lot of ups but mostly downs with this tank. One of the biggest was I could never get good color out of the coral. On the radion XR15 gen 5 blues I have over it I had the point intensity set to 100% and used the schedule intensity to adjust overall intensity(brightness). i kept lowering it and lowering it and still bleached no color corals. Then one day I turned the schedule intensity to 0, meaning for the whole schedule no light should be on but it was and very bright. So from then on I ran my schedule intensity at 100 % and used my point intensity to adjust overall brightness. This worked great and now I have colors to my corals(SPS), to bad it took me almost 3 years to figure this out. Another thing i would NEVER do again is use nothing but CaribSea Life rock. It just not very porous, no place for good bacteria to live. I got rid of most of it and put some rock from one of my other long running tanks into the 50 and that did wonders.
If you really have bad coloration. Go with Redsea 90. People seriously doubt these lights. But mark my words. Give them a shot. Best bang for the buck in my opinion on growth and coloration for the past 4yrs

OP
OP
tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the ups. I put a small black bivalve(mussel) in the tank in the very beginning. it's still alive. I've had a Ora Maxima clam in there for about a year. The Orchid Dottyback is still kicking it. The little piece of green humilis is now a large colony.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back