Im Back... AZ native moved to Wisconsin New tank build

Reuben G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my back ground I started reefing about 4 years ago with a 55 gallon tank and I knew nothing of the hobby. Flash forward a year and I upgraded to a very used 175 gallon tank built my own led light set up and got into some SPS and a whole lot of hair algae... I got a job offer across the country and broke everything down and kept all of my equipment and sold the tank fish etc.
Wife promised me a new tank once the move was done and I got a good bonus so here is my progress so far , I will be updating the post as I go.
Tank is custom aquariums.com 47 W by 47 D by 22 T and is currently paid for and being built. The stand I built out of Tslot 80/20 10 series and its still a work in progress but you can kind of see what the plan is. Any help on the design of this would be appreciated.
The house when we bought it had a strange water feature .. fortunately its on the middle of a brick support in the basement and also supported with 12'thick concrete so I'm not worried about structure.
The tank is replacing the weird water structure and the sump is a 100gallon trough tank in the basement. The skimmer is a Skimz sm 165 and the return pump is a brand new reeflo hammerhead gold .... im pretty excited about it I got it yesterday.
also the sump I used the white rubber made brute storage containers. Returns will dump into the top one with the skimmer then I set up bulk heads at the skimmer level that dumps into the next one that will hold a sand bed / mangroves . That one is drilled for water flow and then on the right of the sump I will be setting up a waterfall algae scrubber .
what do you think? any advice as I go through setup? im going to start plumbing the sump and return in the next couple days and I will be building a manifold for the skimmer/ reactors.

IMG_5229.JPG

IMG_5113.jpg

58165386588__C7889868-0DBC-4AE3-B795-711575E4BC9A.JPG

58165379731__1A3957EF-58E2-41EA-812E-6937F7EDF164.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful home and comgrats on the new tank :D
Where in Wisconsin if you dont mind me asking?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice we love it here! may have to do some trading in the future when I get setup.
Absolutely! Following along with your build. And hopefully will see it in person some day :) @vetteguy53081 is in our area as well, if you get the chance he has multiple huge tanks and is a cool guy to chat with.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to WI. Im in Sheboygan area.

OP
OP
Reuben G

Reuben G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! Following along with your build. And hopefully will see it in person some day :) @vetteguy53081 is in our area as well, if you get the chance he has multiple huge tanks and is a cool guy to chat with.
Thanks I have spoken to him in another group I'm a member to wireefsociety. I have a build thread going there too. I started one in this site too cause this is the site I posted my first build a 55gallon too.

got some more work done today, mainly on finishing the mess I made out of the kitchen... but I also ran some wires for my circuit and had to build a 3rd wall to cover the area where my plumbing will go.
As you can see I cut the hole to run the 1.5" return and the two 1.5" drains .
As you can see in the basement there is a brick wall that runs down the center of where the tank will be there for I will have no structure issues.
thanks for looking

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking great !! great craftsmanship !!
WRS meeting/food This Saturday at 4p if youre able to make it briefly and meet some of the members !!!

OP
OP
Reuben G

Reuben G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I just read your build thread the pictures don't show up on WRS
awesome build.... im actually off this weekend which is rare! so I will be stopping by for an hour or so we are also trying to hit elk hart for the car show this weekend. but I would love to meet everyone and see the beast
Looking great !! great craftsmanship !!
WRS meeting/food This Saturday at 4p if youre able to make it briefly and meet some of the members !!!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking build! I'm originally from Wisconsin and usually come back up to visit friends and family at least once a year, I'd love to move back someday. Enjoy the great food, beer, and hospitality! I look forward to seeing the progress on your tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice looking build! I'm originally from Wisconsin and usually come back up to visit friends and family at least once a year, I'd love to move back someday. Enjoy the great food, beer, and hospitality! I look forward to seeing the progress on your tank
Thank you!!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! I just read your build thread the pictures don't show up on WRS
awesome build.... im actually off this weekend which is rare! so I will be stopping by for an hour or so we are also trying to hit elk hart for the car show this weekend. but I would love to meet everyone and see the beast
Will be a great time. Plenty of eats and key members will be there. Look forward to meeting you as well

OP
OP
Reuben G

Reuben G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so small update, Wifes coffee bar has a circuit added and I started finishing the dry wall. All the cabinets have been leveled and mounted, I just need to head to Ikea and get a countertop.
I added a circuit for the tank so It will be on its own circuit. I added my switch boxes down by the sump and added a little bit more to the aquascape. I also got 400 gallons of saltmix and the tank will arrive in less then a month.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking good !!!

OP
OP
Reuben G

Reuben G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks!
newest update
Finishing dry wall and picking up a counter top for the coffee bar on Thursday . Electrical is now up and running and I mounted my TV wall mount that I'm currently modifying / welding to become a movable light rack.
couple pics to show the idea

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since the start, your work has been top notch especially at the meeting, when you mentioned you are doing it all Yourself.
Very impressive all the way through. Wish I had your skills.... I see some mods I could do on the big tank with your skills !!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back