I'm Back (to reefing)

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy everyone,
I've been keeping fish and other 'exotic' pets my whole life. I currently breed leachianus geckos, have some turtles, snakes, caecilians and 4 fw tanks. Oh, I'm also a beekeeper.

Anyway, I have dabbled in reef tanks in the past, but it has been over 10 years since I had any saltwater tanks. Since we are 'looking' at new houses for the past couple years, I have been holding off on getting a reef tank, but I can't hold off any longer. Instead of the huge 100+ gallon reef that I will eventually want, I decided to get something a bit smaller that won't be impossible to move if we do decide to get a new house. I was going to set up the old 29g tank that I have laying around. But, it was a bit of a noisy, salt spreading, algae producing, heat trapping monster. The technology has really come a long way in the last 10 years, so I am going to spend the money to 'do it right' this time instead of cobbling together a bunch of ill-fitting budget options.

I'm planning to replace a 29g fw tank that I have in our living room with this tank. It might not be the ideal location, but I hope it is good enough. It is in a room with quite a bit of ambient sunlight but is in a corner that doesn't' get any direct sunlight. It also has a fireplace on the other side of the room that we use to keep toasty while watching TV during the winter. I know these two factors aren't ideal, but I want it to be somewhere I will see it often and enjoy it instead of tucked away in the basement where it could be forgotten and neglected. So, if I'm not mistaken, the drawbacks to this location shouldn't be too difficult to overcome?

In that location, I'm looking for a tank between 30" and 36" (34" would be ideal) that doesn't stick out too far. After some research, I'm probably going to order a Waterbox DX 90.3. Does that sound like a good choice? I'm also open to suggestions and criticisms.
I'll start a build thread once I decide on a tank and start 'building'.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to meeting other reefers and learning from this forum.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy everyone,
I've been keeping fish and other 'exotic' pets my whole life. I currently breed leachianus geckos, have some turtles, snakes, caecilians and 4 fw tanks. Oh, I'm also a beekeeper.

Anyway, I have dabbled in reef tanks in the past, but it has been over 10 years since I had any saltwater tanks. Since we are 'looking' at new houses for the past couple years, I have been holding off on getting a reef tank, but I can't hold off any longer. Instead of the huge 100+ gallon reef that I will eventually want, I decided to get something a bit smaller that won't be impossible to move if we do decide to get a new house. I was going to set up the old 29g tank that I have laying around. But, it was a bit of a noisy, salt spreading, algae producing, heat trapping monster. The technology has really come a long way in the last 10 years, so I am going to spend the money to 'do it right' this time instead of cobbling together a bunch of ill-fitting budget options.

I'm planning to replace a 29g fw tank that I have in our living room with this tank. It might not be the ideal location, but I hope it is good enough. It is in a room with quite a bit of ambient sunlight but is in a corner that doesn't' get any direct sunlight. It also has a fireplace on the other side of the room that we use to keep toasty while watching TV during the winter. I know these two factors aren't ideal, but I want it to be somewhere I will see it often and enjoy it instead of tucked away in the basement where it could be forgotten and neglected. So, if I'm not mistaken, the drawbacks to this location shouldn't be too difficult to overcome?

In that location, I'm looking for a tank between 30" and 36" (34" would be ideal) that doesn't stick out too far. After some research, I'm probably going to order a Waterbox DX 90.3. Does that sound like a good choice? I'm also open to suggestions and criticisms.
I'll start a build thread once I decide on a tank and start 'building'.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to meeting other reefers and learning from this forum.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You can not be too early, so capturing what you already have makes sense! Just start a thread over in Forum Member Aquariums.

This might help you find people local to you in WI:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back