OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is the location (and FW tank that will be replaced) with my new SW tank. I've been talking with a LFS, who is very helpful. After seeing the location, he suggested a 54g corner tank. What are people's thoughts about corner tanks? I feel like I've heard bad things about them but can't remember what they might be. It is a corner, after all ...
IMG_1526.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is the location (and FW tank that will be replaced) with my new SW tank. I've been talking with a LFS, who is very helpful. After seeing the location, he suggested a 54g corner tank. What are people's thoughts about corner tanks? I feel like I've heard bad things about them but can't remember what they might be. It is a corner, after all ...
IMG_1526.jpg

Until recently, I had a 55 gallon corner bowfront glass tank and if it had been drilled for internal overflow I would have kept it forever. Tempered glass, so it couldn't be drilled, so sold 55. Any tank shouldn't be hard up against a wall, and since I'm 5'6" on once side I had a 2 foot gap so me and my stool for cleaning could fit, and other side had maybe 6-8" gap.

Fish that are not strong swimmers can benefit by that central space. You are likely thinking about fish that swim, and unless tank is cylinder, length matters and constrains type of fish you can get. This doesn't matter to everyone (I've got a 180 gallon for my swimmer fish).

Another constraint with corner tanks is usually stand footprint compresses your sump size.

I replaced my 55 corner with a 60 rectangle (also glass). I'm klutzy so acrylic vs glass matters more to me than others.

It's personal preferences.

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until recently, I had a 55 gallon corner bowfront glass tank and if it had been drilled for internal overflow I would have kept it forever. Tempered glass, so it couldn't be drilled, so sold 55. Any tank shouldn't be hard up against a wall, and since I'm 5'6" on once side I had a 2 foot gap so me and my stool for cleaning could fit, and other side had maybe 6-8" gap.

Fish that are not strong swimmers can benefit by that central space. You are likely thinking about fish that swim, and unless tank is cylinder, length matters and constrains type of fish you can get. This doesn't matter to everyone (I've got a 180 gallon for my swimmer fish).

Another constraint with corner tanks is usually stand footprint compresses your sump size.

I replaced my 55 corner with a 60 rectangle (also glass). I'm klutzy so acrylic vs glass matters more to me than others.

It's personal preferences.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
This tank would be pre-drilled so would definitely have a sump. I know the shape of the corner tank would neccesitate a smaller sump, but the lfs says he has one set up now and the octo reef sump fits great (forgot to ask what size).
I was planning to put it up against both walls (maybe a few inches for MP pumps, etc.) Since it only comes out 27.25" from the corner, I was thinking I could still get to the areas I need to clean. Is that a mistake?

I haven't decided on any particular fish yet, but am planning a mixed reef with lots of inverts, goby/blenny, a wrasse of some type, and whatever else fits the tank. I tend to like fish with personality more than showy fish that just swim around. I realize that the more 'rounded' space would limit some fish, but not entirely sure how large a restriction that is. It's tempting to go with seahorses, who would love that shape tank, but think that'll wait until I get a big reef tank down the road.

I also like to sit in the couch and look at the tank, so curious if the view for the 'side' of the tank will be good, or if the curved glass would mess with that view. It would point directly at the view from the other couch where we watch TV.

I guess at this point the decision is between this corner tank, an IM 50 (30"x24") or a waterbox 90.3/100.3 (36"x20"/24"). Trying to decide which tank will make me happiest in the long run. Although, this is a 'temporary' tank until I can set up a really BIG reef system.

Thanks again.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience!
This tank would be pre-drilled so would definitely have a sump. I know the shape of the corner tank would neccesitate a smaller sump, but the lfs says he has one set up now and the octo reef sump fits great (forgot to ask what size).
I was planning to put it up against both walls (maybe a few inches for MP pumps, etc.) Since it only comes out 27.25" from the corner, I was thinking I could still get to the areas I need to clean. Is that a mistake?

I haven't decided on any particular fish yet, but am planning a mixed reef with lots of inverts, goby/blenny, a wrasse of some type, and whatever else fits the tank. I tend to like fish with personality more than showy fish that just swim around. I realize that the more 'rounded' space would limit some fish, but not entirely sure how large a restriction that is. It's tempting to go with seahorses, who would love that shape tank, but think that'll wait until I get a big reef tank down the road.

I also like to sit in the couch and look at the tank, so curious if the view for the 'side' of the tank will be good, or if the curved glass would mess with that view. It would point directly at the view from the other couch where we watch TV.

I guess at this point the decision is between this corner tank, an IM 50 (30"x24") or a waterbox 90.3/100.3 (36"x20"/24"). Trying to decide which tank will make me happiest in the long run. Although, this is a 'temporary' tank until I can set up a really BIG reef system.

Thanks again.

SO, valid concern. I also have a 5 gallon plastic (PetSmart) QT that distorts view... Fish even seemed to freak out in it, so felt it distorted their view, too... I retired it but haven't trashed it (packrat...) Fortunately I forgot about that when I went to my 55 gallon glass bowfront tank.

No distortion on my 55 gallon bowfront glass aquarium and LOVED that tank. LOVED that side poked out more to make it easier to see into tank from the SIDE as my desk is at the end of that room (picture wall with little bump - in middle of room sat tank, I sat at my desk on one side and other side of tank was entrance into room.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R forums! And welcome back to wet world! I too came back to aquaria last year after 9 years(fresh tho) and set up my first reef in the early fall. 87E9A75F-A35D-4387-B520-952FBB0A4464.jpeg

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I started a thread specifically for helping me choose the right tank for my space instead of turning this introduction into that discussion.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I started a thread specifically for helping me choose the right tank for my space instead of turning this introduction into that discussion.

For your build thread, instead you may want to copy that same info and put in Forum > Members Aquariums. Below is the info and links they gave me when I was new:

One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your build thread, instead you may want to copy that same info and put in Forum > Members Aquariums. Below is the info and links they gave me when I was new:

One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE
Thanks. Guess that would be a better place for it. Still getting used to the 'categories' and the best place to put things.
Once I decide on a tank, I can transition it into a more traditional build thread.

Sorry for cluttering the forums!
Here is the newest link:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back