I'm done w/Tangs....

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's on Reef Crest though, so it's not constant, they're not all 3 on at the same time either.
It’s not flow. I have 2 MP 40’s and one MP60 in a 180, and I run the 40’s at 90% on Reef Crest Mode (65% for the 60). I have 3 tangs that love the flow.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that given the number of tangs being added at once, that the aquscape does not provide ample homes for each to sleep in and/or find refuge when there are the occasional skirmishes amongst tangs and other fish?

OP
OP
amcvay

amcvay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that given the number of tangs being added at once, that the aquscape does not provide ample homes for each to sleep in and/or find refuge when there are the occasional skirmishes amongst tangs and other fish?
Could be, to my eyes it looks like there's plenty of caves and cracks, etc. But it's possible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use hannah tests for Alk/Phos/Calc, a refractometer for salt and Red Sea Pro for Nitrate/Magnesium
Have you calibrated refract ?
That's interesting...my inverts/corals are all doing great though so I doubt it, but not impossible. I use an old school refractometer and don't calibrate as often as I should. Maybe it's time to buy a digital salinity checker as well?
I use both the iceCap and Hanna digital units- Prefer Hanna but both are good.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to copper and treat them.. then add and make sure you feed a varied diet.. I currently have 15 tangs in a 7ft..
I’ve kept 5 in a 70 no issues.. it’s hard to find quality fish, I would at least get established fish, not from lfs.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sailfin is a bully, only other tang that survived with him over the years is a yellow. No more tangs for me until he is no longer.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you were very lucky having 5 tangs in a 150 in the past. It is too small fir a large sailfin tang. You did not say how large but they do get to be 14". That said I doubt that is what cause there deaths.
I have only read the threads on using hydrogen peroxide to treat fish. I believe the recommended dosage is only 5ml per gallon. Tangs have fairly sensitive gills. The H2O2 may be burning their gills. I think the fact they are dieing so quickly points to things beside harassment or stress.
I would ask this question in the disease forum.

I've got a vlamingi, lt tang, 2 yellows, flame and a blue hippo in a 180 all fat and happy and no fighting. Have had all of them for over a year now. It cam be done, just takes patience and work.

OP
OP
amcvay

amcvay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the fish out. Run fallow and qt. Did you get the salinity tested?
I don't think I can catch all the fish, there's like 15 in there now. I've thought about it and I just can't fathom catching all of them and then keeping them for 90 days in a smaller QT tank. I'll consider it though, it would be a big job.

Salinity calibration fluid is coming tomorrow so I'll check that.

I did turn the flow down on my 3 MP40's yesterday to more closely match Vortech's recommendations for SPS type tank. It looks very lazy to me, but the fish are definitely more active. I'm wondering if I keep the flow down, add some big PVC pipes for more hiding places if that wouldn't reduce stress enough to get a new tang(s) over the initial hump of being the new guy in the tank?

josbur63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 100% in agreement there’s parasites in my system. I’d say nearly all systems have some form or another of a parasite as it’s nearly impossible to Jew them out of a tank unless you QT 100% of everything wet and I don’t see how it’s possible to QT shrimp, corals, crabs, snails, feather worms etc...but I know I can add new, health fish other than tangs to this tank and they’ll be fine. As soon as I add a tang though they stop eating, show signs of stress and ultimately die. If my system were so overrun with parasites all my fish would be dead within days and I’m going on almost a year with most of my other fish. It just doesn’t make any sense.
I agree that ich is in every tank and its the stress that brings it out,especially in Tangs.i have been told Tangs are scaleless and the reason they are more susceptible.People who believe their tanks are ich free because of quarantining are fooling themselves,it just takes the right set of circumstances to set it in motion.Every creature,including ourselves,are more susceptible to disease when stressed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back