I'm going to Hawaii!!! What would you guys recommend I check out while there??

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm leaving for vacation in Hawaii, baby!!!! Never been there, but we're flying out tomorrow to Oahu! My family and I will be there for a couple of weeks. What do you guys recommend I check out? Definitely planning to do some snorkeling (already got my reservations for a day of snorkeling!)! What else?

PS - I may be a little harder to reach than normal (after tomorrow), until I get back on July 8th.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for what?

A great place to eat: Foodland (they have a great selections of pokes), Marugame Udon (long lines during meal time), Ice Monster Hawaii, Musubi and Bento Iyasume, Nico’s Pier 38 (close to the airport), Giovani’s Shrimp (at Northshore), Matsumuto Shave Ice (north shore), Ala Moana Mall, visit McDonalds and 7/11 they have different menus or food you don’t find here in mainland. Fun to do the Atlantis submarine.
Visit Don Quijote (Asian grocery store) and Byodo-In Temple too.

Last edited:

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Road to Hana is amazing if you're going to Maui. Hanauma Bay and Molokini were my favorite for snorkeling. Big Island the Kilauea Iki Trail is an awesome experience as well. Day trips between islands are relatively easy, not sure about prices since we went in 2016.

Obdoc63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have banana pancakes with coconut syrup. There used to be a place in Haliewa and Waikiki that had phenomenal breakfast. I used to snorkel at a local's beach in Mokuleia when I lived there many years ago. Untouched beach, tons of fish, eels, corals and hardly any people, called Mokuleia Beach park.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to the Hawaiian islands three times, personally I would recommend Kauai BUT since you're going to Oahu already:

-If your a military history buff like me: Go to Pearl harbor, there is an air museum and a ship and submarine tour. Dedicate an entire day, this was the highlight for me.

-Best Restaurant: Morimoto Asia, on the main strip. Best Asian fusion (family style) food I've ever had. Also try the smoked old fashioned if you like whiskey like me (was to DIE FOR). Recommend a reservation. It is owned by Iron Chef Morimoto btw. https://morimotoasiawaikiki.com/

-Fancy restaurant with the woman? "53 by the Sea" is a must go. Again, book a reservation. WARNING: VERY EXPENSIVE

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Road to Hana is amazing if you're going to Maui. Hanauma Bay and Molokini were my favorite for snorkeling. Big Island the Kilauea Iki Trail is an awesome experience as well. Day trips between islands are relatively easy, not sure about prices since we went in 2016.
Molokini crater was amazing, did that with the wife years ago on Mauai.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have time go to Costco, Big 5, or somewhere similar and grab a snorkel mask and fin package and put in your suitcase. $40 and you can go anywhere you want. All beaches in Hawaii are public. Then ask a local where is good to go. Was just on the big island , my uncle lives there and we just drove to the beach on our own.
It was awesome. I felt like Jake Sully in Avatar with the tree seeds with a school of yellow tangs all around me. Will have that memory forever.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky Jon Heder GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Oahu you have Hanauma Bay which is a must for Snorkeling - but I think still requires reservations. Be wary of other 'Snorkeling Trips' run by the Dive companies. They take you out of Waikiki Marina and go right outside and set anchor. But it's really a dive trip in 25 to 40' of water. Snorkelers are left floating on the surface while the divers get the good view. While the water is clear you are watching the turtles and fish from too far a distance.

If you dive, or want to get certified there are several dive shops in Hawaii Kai. It's east of Waikiki by about 15 minutes. Being outside of Waikiki its not so Tourtist motivated and the guys are alot nicer. It's also a great place to get certified with a private instructor.

Waimea Falls and Waimea Beach are good visit spots. Turtle Bay and the Northshore are a nice drive.

If the weather is nasty - which it probably isn't going to be while you are there but if the winds pick up, head to the East Shore north of the Disney Resort. Non- Tourist beaches with amazing waves breaking.

Don't Rent a Car at the Airport Terminal or from your Hotel, or from any of the Rental car locales. Make your car reservation through Costco. You have to pickup the car at the airport but it will be 1/3 of the cost through the rental companies.

Waikiki Aquarium is small, but cute. I think it's worth a visit. They have the largest collection of Abei angels I think anywhere in the world. They were in so many tanks I lost count. The aquarium is maybe only a 60-90 minute event, but's it a cute little aquarium.

Across the street from the Aquarium is the Zoo. Getting into July it's going to be hot and the Animals are pretty dull during the day. I think they are open late 1 or 2 nights a week. Goto the zoo as the sun starts going down. You can get your10k steps in for the day and they have a great variety of wildlife to enjoy and appreciate.

If you have the time goto the Flea Market/Swap Meet at the Aloha bowl stadium on the weekend. Any of the trinkets, gift items, hawaiian clothing you seek is at the Flea Market and easily 1/4 the price down town. It's a pretty big swap meet to walk around so give yourself time and you will find some authentic Hawaiian art and trinkets to bring home.

Pearl Harbor is a must see. But Pearl Harbor can become an all day event. Besides the Arizona Memorial, there is an Air Museium, a WWII Destroyer with a Bow to Stern tour in and out of all the compartments of the ship, and a submarine museum. There is no food served at Pearl Harbor, so plan your 'long' visit with that in mine. There is enough at Pearl Harbor to make 2 visits, but its a bit of a drive from Waikiki.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back