I'm going to Hawaii!!! What would you guys recommend I check out while there??

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearl Harbor is a must see. But Pearl Harbor can become an all day event. Besides the Arizona Memorial, there is an Air Museium, a WWII Destroyer with a Bow to Stern tour in and out of all the compartments of the ship, and a submarine museum. There is no food served at Pearl Harbor, so plan your 'long' visit with that in mine. There is enough at Pearl Harbor to make 2 visits, but its a bit of a drive from Waikiki.

I was just at Pearl Harbor in Feb, they had food around the Missouri. There were a few small booths. We got there early so no lines. Hotdogs and etc. There was also a food truck over by the Sub....but again when its busy I could only imagine the lines.

Took this photo off the bow, those little tents to the left have seating and some food options.

FB_IMG_1687384189766.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone!!! We're super excited. Thanks to everyone who gave pointers!! We'll be using these tips for sure!

I'm looking into day trips to other islands. We have a wedding that requires us to be on Oahu this time around. But I'd love to find a way to visit Volcano National Park!

Thanks also for all the restaurant tips!!!!

I'll be checking this thread for any additional ideas you guys have.

...but now...it's time to board!!

20230622_172611.jpg

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats & fun! We were there last year - very relaxing. Beware: we got scammed…by our spouses! We got suckered and stayed at the Hilton. Literally right in the middle of the hotel was the Louis Vuitton store. Let’s just say that our whole family trip (flight, hotel, excursions, food, etc) combined was cheaper than my wife’s “souvenirs”!$&@

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun.... Next time you making plans to go to Hawaii. Remember this... Kawi is the northern most island of all they call it the garden island for good reason. Not only that but it's the oldest of all of them. You fly into Lehi then take a bus or cab to the most northern tip of Kawi, Hanalei Bay. I have rented the same one completely furnished home (you can call it a condo). Complete with dish's, dish soap, snorkels, towels, surf boards, everything you have at your home. For $1800 for a month = 30 days! Then so you don't look like a howly and look like a local. I rent a car, last time it was a 99 Toyota Camry for $90 a week! 14 beach's on the north shore and they are not volcanic rock either, they are all shells and a little true extremely clean blond sand! Walk 1 block and you can snorkel as much as you want.. But there is 14 beach's to chose from. There is a small river the runs into the ocean there. About 6:00 in the morning you wade out into it its no more than 26 inch's deep max. And you WILL be hit in the legs by huge sea turtles! They go up stream to feed on green algae at night and return at day break.. It is so stinkin cool..!!! I have picked up many, not to hurt them of coarse. On all the beach's you can take and collect beautiful green emeralds. Via baby food jars and tweezer's! Locals (hippies) sell them for wedding and fancy get togethers as they glue them on there flower lays... Shells like you will never see anywhere. Papaya, banana's, grapefruit, are growing all over the place just 1/4 mile outside of town of Hanalei Bay and you don't have to even buy them. They are wild... It's still $3.50 beer, at a bar Elvis used to play in every night. Called of coarse "The Tiki Hut", there was a commune right at the end of the pavement. Marlin Brando, Elvis, Peter Fonda, Jane, most every band of the 60's and 70's all used to go there. It's really cool. Then at the same end of the road is a 3 mile hike to die for. From there there's another 11 mile hike up into the mountains. One of the top 10 most danger est hikes in the whole world! If you hike it you must bring seeds for planting as people "ALL" plant up there and you can live on the food that is planted. One of the most wettest climates on earth. This is all a very, very, good secret... so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! MOST OF ALL have fun.............. And hey bring me back about a dozen yellow tangs will ya...

Last edited:

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun.... Next time you making plans to go to Hawaii. Remember this... Kawi is the northern most island of all they call it the garden island for good reason. Not only that but it's the oldest of all of them. You fly into Lehi then take a bus or cab to the most northern tip of Kawi, Hanalei Bay. I have rented the same one completely furnished home (you can call it a condo). Complete with dish's, dish soap, snorkels, towels, surf boards, everything you have at your home. For $1800 for a month = 30 days! Then so you don't look like a howly and look like a local. I rent a car, last time it was a 99 Toyota Camry for $90 a week! 14 beach's on the north shore and they are not volcanic rock either, they are all shells and a little true extremely clean blond sand! Walk 1 block and you can snorkel as much as you want.. But there is 14 beach's to chose from. There is a small river the runs into the ocean there. About 6:00 in the morning you wade out into it its no more than 26 inch's deep max. And you WILL be hit in the legs by huge sea turtles! They go up stream to feed on green algae at night and return at day break.. It is so stinkin cool..!!! I have picked up many, not to hurt them of coarse. On all the beach's you can take and collect beautiful green emeralds. Via baby food jars and tweezer's! Locals (hippies) sell them for wedding and fancy get togethers as they glue them on there flower lays... Shells like you will never see anywhere. Papaya, banana's, grapefruit, are growing all over the place just 1/4 mile outside of town of Hanalei Bay and you don't have to even buy them. They are wild... It's still $3.50 beer, at a bar Elvis used to play in every night. Called of coarse "The Tiki Hut", there was a commune right at the end of the pavement. Marlin Brando, Elvis, Peter Fonda, Jane, most every band of the 60's and 70's all used to go there. It's really cool. Then at the same end of the road is a 3 mile hike to die for. From there there's another 11 mile hike up into the mountains. One of the top 10 most danger est hikes in the whole world! If you hike it you must bring seeds for planting as people "ALL" plant up there and you can live on the food that is planted. One of the most wettest climates on earth. This is all a very, very, good secret... so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! MOST OF ALL have fun.............. And hey bring me back about a dozen yellow tangs will ya...

Kauai is hands down the most beautiful island. Much more rural though. No really big towns or anything. Good for hiking and exploring. We have gone twice and have always loved it. I personally wasn't that fond of the North Shore. The East and South were much more interesting and much more to see. We stay at Kauai Shores/ Lava Lava Beach Club on the E side. Great restaurant there too. Best Poke Nacho's on the island!

Last edited:

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're in Maui and you're a licensed SCUBA diver, the backside of Molokini Crater is amazing. Warm, crystal clear water and even at 140 feet there is tons of stuff to see (including the deep water black soft coral).

Enjoy your trip!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought some lava sand and lava rocks from there.(Not for fish tank, but for decorative purposes)
I think it is legitimate as this is not an agricultural product

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kauai is hands down the most beautiful island. Much more rural though. No really big towns or anything. Good for hiking and exploring. We have gone twice and have always loved it. I personally wasn't that fond of the North Shore. The East and South were much more interesting and much more to see. We stay at Lava Lava Beach Club on the E side. Great restaurant there too. Best Poke Nacho's on the island!
Hey just a reminder... Yellow Tangs I want just a dozen ... lol

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I was there I rented a gas scooter. I have riding dirt bikes all my life so... I hit the hogs trails deep into the mountains... Like 8 or 10 miles deep, like on 5 inch trails... lol I saw so much wildlife that I have never seen there before. It was amazing I came back that day and rented it for 2 weeks straight... And I gave everyone at The Tiki Hut fruit like you can't ever imagine. I would fill two back packs... lol (FREE BEER ALL NIGHT). They also gave me free coffee every morning at 6:00 at the coffee stand on main from then on as well.. lol

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not go to Hanauma Bay if you have tangs in your tank.. you’re gonna feel so bad for your fish at home when you get back! It’s amazing how big fish get in the wild especially hawaiian yellow tangs and Achilles tangs! After seeing them in the wild, I feel like 10 foot tanks should be the minimum even for zebrasomas and at least 12’ for Acantharus

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not go to Hanauma Bay if you have tangs in your tank.. you’re gonna feel so bad for your fish at home when you get back! It’s amazing how big fish get in the wild especially hawaiian yellow tangs and Achilles tangs! After seeing them in the wild, I feel like 10 foot tanks should be the minimum even for zebrasomas and at least 12’ for Acantharus
I lived in Kailua and use to snorkel off Lanikai and visit haunama bay frequently. Don't forget the naso tangs as long as my arm. Some people are horrified when I tell them we used to use wrasses as bait when fishing.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a wonderful time. We went quite a while ago now, so not sure what is still good, but most people have already said some good spots:" Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, Byodo'In Temple, there is a pass you can take and stop aqt up on one road and the winds are out of this world strong (I never remember the name), Zoo and Aquarium are fun. So is the Thursday (used to be anyway) local market with art, food, etc. Polynesian Cultural Center was really neat too. Pricey, but a good time.

Go to a nature reserve (cannot remember name again, I think Waimea?) it is up north. Nice walk and can see the waterfall.

I too have the love of Kauai, but with kids that are younger, Oahu was a better choice. Now we get to go to Kauai. My 17yr old even went on a dive trip. We just got back from 2 weeks in Kauai about 13 days ago.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back