I'm just as smart as that guy!! What the heck?

Are you just as smart as "the other guy?"

• No he's smarter and that's why his tank is better.

Votes: 70 24.4%
  • YES I'm just as smart and can have a reef tank just as nice!

Votes: 137 47.7%
  • Ummm der.......

Votes: 80 27.9%

• Total voters

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can there be something like 'to much advice/information'? Of course I need help but I have found when I start looking for said help it sometimes just plain confuses me and pushes me in a direction I never intended.

As for smarter? Maybe a little more experience but in the end I think every single tank is unique and sometimes trying to use a boilerplate solution just ain't going to do it for you. I had enough issues and tried enough 'solutions' to know some work well...some work for a while and then not, some did not work for me at all and some I did not even bother to try. In the end it comes back to the experience and a combination that works well for you.

I like the water changes as I get NSW and I think it puts back regularly whatever get taken out. I also started a process of cleaning the sandbed and boy was that a messy affair in the beginning. But slowly it improved and I am not there yet but I am much closer...
Btw, do you treat your nsw in any way before adding to the DT?

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" Aquarium Envy" is a real thing. As is the over used marketing tag line that flatters the consumer with "smart" everything! Learning latin names for 1000 invertebrate species is not as much 'smart' as it is obsessive. Someone out there is smarter than you and someone out there is wealthier that you-- that's life.. just take a deep breath and enjoy the hobby--- you will be happier... :) Just say'n

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is a hobby and not a competition. Whether you have a pico or a 10,000 gallon system- they are all someone's own creation. Whether fully stocked or 4 pieces, how you sustain them is key. Even the most experienced hobbyist faces challenges and this is of trial and error, huge monetary losses and financial gain for those who frag.
We have to treat everyone respectfully regardless of tank size or equipment and get satisfaction of not having the nicest tank but helping a fellow member succeed.

There is in my opinion No stupid question but rather a helpful answer. I despise those with secrets. While laughing at a fellow reefer, we are killing their ego and coral in the same fashion.
REEF2REEF Has a mission and vision to be the largest reef site in the world, having successful tank owners who share stories, pictures , successes and misfortunes. This is how we call it enjoyable. Whoever believed the day we would drool and be thrilled in the process.

Lets stick together and prove to Hawaii, Fiji, Tonga, Red Sea and so forth that we have the knowledge to raise these specimens and are Not destroying the ocean because we are successful and we are . . . . R2R !!!!!!

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel no need to be smart, I borrow other peoples intelligence! :cool:

Someone with a fish disease problem? Quote Humblefish
Someone with a cyano problem? Quote Lasse
Someone with a chemistry question? Quote RHF
Someone with a lighting question? Quote Dana Riddle
Someone with a bacteria question? Quote Dr Tim

It's easy to look smart when you can copy and paste from people like this! ;)

That's what Henry Ford did and it seemed to work for him!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hobby and not a competition. Whether you have a pico or a 10,000 gallon system- they are all someone's own creation. Whether fully stocked or 4 pieces, how you sustain them is key. Even the most experienced hobbyist faces challenges and this is of trial and error, huge monetary losses and financial gain for those who frag.
We have to treat everyone respectfully regardless of tank size or equipment and get satisfaction of not having the nicest tank but helping a fellow member succeed.

There is in my opinion No stupid question but rather a helpful answer. I despise those with secrets. While laughing at a fellow reefer, we are killing their ego and coral in the same fashion.
REEF2REEF Has a mission and vision to be the largest reef site in the world, having successful tank owners who share stories, pictures , successes and misfortunes. This is how we call it enjoyable. Whoever believed the day we would drool and be thrilled in the process.

Lets stick together and prove to Hawaii, Fiji, Tonga, Red Sea and so forth that we have the knowledge to raise these specimens and are Not destroying the ocean because we are successful and we are . . . . R2R !!!!!!

Treat others as you would like to be treated

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn from And adapt what others have done to your own situation.Every system is different and always be ready to learn from others we are all as smart as the next guy just in different ways.

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago when I had my first reef tank, which I had for about 7 years it was a great tank. I had awesome coral growth, never had any sick fish. I did very little maintenance, I never tested the water, i used tap water, i didn't even run a skimmer and somehow everything just worked. Fast forward years later after my hiatus, I set up a tank again about 2 1/2 years ago, thought I was doing everything by the book, RODI water only, set up new equipment, test my parameters regularly, expensive light the whole 9 yards and I can keep coral but I've lost alot and nothing is thriving. So I guess I wish I was a smart as the guy I used to be lol.

Scott Jeffries: What kind of rock did you use in your 1st vs most recent tank?
My 1st tank (using live rock)about 20 yrs ago did well but not spectacular. Had a skimpy skimmer. Tap water. Was overstocked with nitrates 40-ish. All tank inhabitants were from LFS. Almost no fish or coral losses. Plants were growing from the live rock.That tank did die after few yrs due to aiptasia and had to make a quick cross country move.
Current tank (using dry rock) is less successful as far as corals with some dying soon after delivery. 3 yrs old. Using carbon dosing, chems are good. Coralline growth much better in the current tank.
I don't know why the 1st tank did better than current tank. RODI in current tank. Live vs dry rock? Higher nitrates? Different lighting? LFS vs mail order critters? Who knows?
There are many variables that we know a lot or little about and I believe many variables that will be discovered that currently we know nothing about. Lack of available knowledge is frustrating, but when the new discoveries come they will be exciting.

Last edited:

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I would say I'm not as smart as the other guy, when it comes specifically to reef tanks. Otherwise, I think I'm a purty fart smeller, so I should be able to figure this reef thing out.

That all being said, and like others have said, it seems to be more about experience and going through your own trials to figure certain things out. I like getting direction on certain topics, but sometimes figuring it out on your own makes you one of those "smart" people.

Cooling looking start to a tank..
^ what he said. Going through your own trials, albeit with help from R2R friends, creates your own knowledge base. I look back and bee through quite a bit in 9 months but things are looking up and I feel better about my tank. Still has its issues but moving forward. Aptasia is my current issue. Not bad just a few that need siphoning off the sand and a few that need encasing in the rock. Lol

Back