I'm just as smart as that guy!! What the heck?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by revhtree, Aug 31, 2018.

?
  1. No he's smarter and that's why his tank is better.

70 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. YES I'm just as smart and can have a reef tank just as nice!

137 vote(s)
    47.7%
  3. Ummm der.......

80 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Cyber Monday Sponsor Article Contributor Sizzling Summer Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

"Wow you have an amazing tank" so are you smarter than me? I don't think so.

In this hobby you'll face trial and tribulations just like anything else in life. Joyous times and sad times. Growing times and just plain ignorant times! That being said have you ever seen someone else's amazing tank and think to yourself, "I'm just as smart as that guy?"

I don't mean this to sound bad or judgemental trust me, but I've known people and based on what I know about them and have seen of them I'm kinda shocked at how successful they really are when it comes to growing corals in their reef tank. There are many things we can successfully do in a reef tank but for argument sake let's talk GROWING CORALS! When I say growing corals I mean things like, corals are thriving, corals are colorful, corals are growing, etc.

So WHY oh why am I struggling to keep monti caps alive or keep basic "beginner" corals alive much less keeping them colorful? This is a rhetorical question because for some reason my "new" tank just started clicking and corals are growing and sps are colorful and coralline is the most dominant algae! My new, almost 1 1/2 year old tank is doing better than ever!

I'm just as smart right? So what the heck am I doing now that I wasn't doing then?

Honestly?

I'm hesitant to say because of the newer methods of maintaining a reef tank but for me I believe it's as simple an answer as this, water changes! Could that be the final piece to the puzzle? I've added more flow, I've added more equipment, I've added UV, I've tweaked my CUC, I've changed my filters, I've done this and done that but not until now have I seen glimpses of glory past. Glimpses of color and growth. Glimpse of, gasp, success?

Maybe the combo of gear and measures I have taken have finally equaled something more than negative? Maybe my aquarium is reaching maturity? Maybe the water changes have been the cherry on top of the proverbial reef tank cake! Maybe it's luck?

I don't know but one thing I do know is that my reef addiction is at an all time high! As you can tell by my ramblings, quotes and exclamation points I am fully persuaded that I am on the road to reef glory!

For those of you that care I started changing about 15% of water each week for a 60% monthly turn over. That's no small feat for me and my 400+ gallon system but man for now it seems totally worth it!

For those of you who will ask for photos.....soon! It's not amazing yet but frags are growing and colors are awesome! For now here is where it all began....

[​IMG]

Would love to hear your thoughts on this?

Are you just as smart as "the other guy?"

TessGlo, Ferrell, bobbyM and 18 others like this.

2. Vahanyos

Vahanyos Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Most people fail to realize that just like everything else, you need knowledge and experience to really know what you’re doing. Read, read, and practice!

People with amazing tanks have been there done that - they’ve been at the low, the high, the medium, etc

TessGlo, curiouser, Oliver d and 14 others like this.
  3. Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Glitter Fairy Hospitality Award

For the longest time, I tried mirroring what my uncle does with his two tanks. They are absolutely gorgeous. Full of SPS corals that are extremely colorful and happy. But for some reason I could not seem to get into first gear. After about 2 1/2 years of struggling, I decided to take a left turn and try my own method and I have to say so far its a night and day difference. My SPS are growing like crazy, and they're coloring up beautifully. :)

4. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I'm just as smart as the other "guy", but with much cuter shoes. I have an open mind about keeping a tank. There is more than one way to do it successfully. I'm always learning and trying new things.

5. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Cyber Monday Sponsor Article Contributor Sizzling Summer Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

HA! When I say guy it's like "you guys" or "hey guys!" No way I'm leaving our lady reefers out!

6. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

No offense taken. :)

7. Scotty Buttons

Scotty Buttons Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Years ago when I had my first reef tank, which I had for about 7 years it was a great tank. I had awesome coral growth, never had any sick fish. I did very little maintenance, I never tested the water, i used tap water, i didn't even run a skimmer and somehow everything just worked. Fast forward years later after my hiatus, I set up a tank again about 2 1/2 years ago, thought I was doing everything by the book, RODI water only, set up new equipment, test my parameters regularly, expensive light the whole 9 yards and I can keep coral but I've lost alot and nothing is thriving. So I guess I wish I was a smart as the guy I used to be lol.

8. skimjim

skimjim Valuable Member

I know the majority of seasoned Reef Central people (3000+ posts) all think they're God.....

(oh no he did'ant) Oh YES I did say that!

I highly dislike RC and their Knights-of the-Roundtable cliques. "Off with their head if they don't believe in what I believe in. Dilly dilly"

That's why I'm a R2Rer.....more Vendors. More Biologists. Friendlier crowd....Less flaming from PUNKS who it's their way of thinking or the Highway...

And R2R Tastes great, less filling, low carbs and GLUTEN FREE....:)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  9. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Knowledge, experience, failure, success, by the book, off the beaten path, healthy coral, stressed coral.......

Oh, boy!

What's it take to be successful?

A lot of knowledge, a dash of fearlessness, a big box of money, a touch of humbleness, a sprinkle of luck, a spoonful of fortitude and a large pot of patience. Mix it together and you might be ready for a reef tank! LOL!!!!!

10. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NHFS Member

@revhtree UPDATE that build thread already ! ! ! !

11. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I'm just glad to hear things are moving in the right direction David, regardless of how smart you or any of the other people are!

12. JonoB

JonoB Active Member Build Thread Contributor

At this point, I would say I'm not as smart as the other guy, when it comes specifically to reef tanks. Otherwise, I think I'm a purty fart smeller, so I should be able to figure this reef thing out.

That all being said, and like others have said, it seems to be more about experience and going through your own trials to figure certain things out. I like getting direction on certain topics, but sometimes figuring it out on your own makes you one of those "smart" people.

Cooling looking start to a tank..

13. hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I admit I am far from being "smarter" than the next guy or gal when it comes to a successful reef. I have been doing this for about 6 years and Everytime I log in and start reading posts I learn something new.

I have ZERO support and don't know anyone in the hobby where I live so my education and knowlede is gained from everyone on this site or the school of hard knocks (I have a Master's degree from that school). I have never been on another site and don't plan to start, I trust the people I have met on this forum and learned a great deal from them. I have always been treated with dignity and respect. I do not want to start fishing for advice from other sites and get pulled down with bad advice or shamed because I didn't know something or asked a stupid question. Believe me, I'm full of stupid questions! No pun intended on the fishing comment! o_O

Am I smarter than the next guy? No, but someday I will be "as" smart as the next guy. :D

14. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I don't know if You folks are smarter. I do know my reef tanks looks mediocre at best. And I don't know why? dunno.gif

15. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I feel no need to be smart, I borrow other peoples intelligence! :cool:

Someone with a fish disease problem? Quote Humblefish
    Someone with a cyano problem? Quote Lasse
    Someone with a chemistry question? Quote RHF
    Someone with a lighting question? Quote Dana Riddle
    Someone with a bacteria question? Quote Dr Tim

It's easy to look smart when you can copy and paste from people like this! ;)

16. Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Glitter Fairy Hospitality Award

If I had a nickel for every time lol

norfolkgarden and Brew12 like this.
  17. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

It's true, we do (17,000 posts ..... all of them brilliant, insightful and wise), though We are happy to participate here as well (note the use of the Imperial 'We').

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  18. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I think being 'smart' correlates poorly to the success of ones tank. OK, you cannot be a complete moron, but otherwise it's much more about experience and expertise (they are not the same thing). I also think a healthy skepticism is useful.

HolisticBear and norfolkgarden like this.
  19. Reef-junky

Reef-junky Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

There are many ways to be successful in this hobby. A lot of times there is no one set path. What works for one person may not for another. Makes it confusing sometimes.

norfolkgarden likes this.
  20. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I've likely made every mistake that could be made over the past 20 years but along the way, I figured a few things out. If I were smart, I wouldn't have made as many mistakes. I do believe frequent water changes to be the most beneficial thing you can do for a reef tank (though other methods obviously seem to work). I do roughly 12% weekly, I don't over-react to parameters that aren't "perfect," and I feed the fish, generously.

Early on it seemed like corals were so fragile, that anything slightly out of whack was certain death. Now it amazes me just how hardy they really are.

Draft saved Draft deleted