OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the responses. I am beyond meticulous and take a great deal of pride in providing and maintaining the appropriate environment for our reef critters. I failed. Somehow chlorine made its way into our salt mix barrel. Tests today show more concentration than a pool in the balance of the water change. There was zero to trace amount left in the tank water today and none in our RO/DI.

All of our shrimp died overnight. Tiger Pistol, Blood, Scarlett, and 2 Peppermint. Our Sally Lightfoot crab was out this morning. We haven't seen the emerald crabs. The corals are retracted, but clearly alive. Hopefully, they'll recover.

I'm sorry... for the reef critters and being a poor steward for the hobby. We appreciate your help and direction. We'll see what the next few weeks leads us to do.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did the mixed Reef Crystals sit? From your post, it sounds like you initially mixed it 4 weeks ago and just started circulating and heating recently? Per Randy Holmes-Farley (post 1, post 2) Reef Crystals contains organics that can degrade over time and should not be stored mixed for long periods of time.

I'm sorry. That was poorly written. Our salt mix barrel leaves about a 1/4" of water in the bottom that cannot be drained short of using a shop vac. It was that water that sat for 4 weeks, not the freshly mixed Reef Crystals. With today's tests confirming the chlorine, the remnant water is not the source. RO/DI is fresh with new carbon filter on Jan 23 and showed no chlorine or chloramines.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From someone who's been through teenagers, they can be ... difficult. (I don't know your daughter's age or maturity, but having met some of my kids' friends . . . ) Unpleasant to think about, but is there any possibility that someone could have introduced bleach to your mixing station?

~Bruce

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From someone who's been through teenagers, they can be ... difficult. (I don't know your daughter's age or maturity, but having met some of my kids' friends . . . ) Unpleasant to think about, but is there any possibility that someone could have introduced bleach to your mixing station?

~Bruce

Unlikely. It's more likely there was a cleaning accident or oversight. My daughter started this hobby for us 5 years ago. On her own accord, she saved her money and bought a used 55g on Craigslist. She's loved it since she was 11... She loves the urchins (much to mine and coral's chagrin). They appear to have made it BTW. She also loves our red fromia starfish. She would never do anything to harm the tank or inhabitants. She was in tears as the fish were dying yesterday.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely. It's more likely there was a cleaning accident or oversight. My daughter started this hobby for us 5 years ago. On her own accord, she saved her money and bought a used 55g on Craigslist. She's loved it since she was 11... She loves the urchins (much to mine and coral's chagrin). They appear to have made it BTW. She also loves our red fromia starfish. She would never do anything to harm the tank or inhabitants. She was in tears as the fish were dying yesterday.
I could only imagine how heart breaking that was for her.

I think I would still test the next batch of RODI before I used it.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter started this hobby for us 5 years ago. On her own accord, she saved her money and bought a used 55g on Craigslist. She's loved it since she was 11... She loves the urchins (much to mine and coral's chagrin). They appear to have made it BTW. She also loves our red fromia starfish. She would never do anything to harm the tank or inhabitants. She was in tears as the fish were dying yesterday.

Your daughter sounds like a wonderful young woman.

The kind who makes me want to read of your tank rising from this disaster to new heights of vibrancy.

~Bruce, who's glad to hear that her favorite urchins made it through!

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a cleaning service by any chance? We have a cleaner come every two weeks. A fear of mine has been them ever using my mixing bucket or any tank eqipment for their cleaning purposes. Even though it's labeled and stored in a closet away from cleaning supplies.

Sorry for your loss

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your daughter sounds like a wonderful young woman.

The kind who makes me want to read of your tank rising from this disaster to new heights of vibrancy.

~Bruce, who's glad to hear that her favorite urchins made it through!

You're kind. The corals are looking better each day. I'm sure we'll want to rebuild / restock. We're just not in a hurry. Guilt pervades for now.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Copper & Mocha. They're a mated pair of Mocha Misbar Clowns my wife brought home today for our anniversary. I guess we're back.

IMG_1648.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Copper & Mocha. They're a mated pair of Mocha Misbar Clowns my wife brought home today for our anniversary. I guess we're back.

IMG_1648.jpg
Very nice! I feel better knowing that you will be staying with the hobby.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I can take this... I checked the tank on the way to bed and the female had jumped out of the tank. I held her in front of a powerhead for a couple of minutes and she came to. She's ben swimming erratically for about 10 minutes. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help or just hope for the best?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this! Hopefully she will be ok. I don't think there is much else you can do. I'd get a lid, even some screen from home depot or lowe's, you can get a roll of screen for about $6 and attach it to eggcrate.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I can take this... I checked the tank on the way to bed and the female had jumped out of the tank. I held her in front of a powerhead for a couple of minutes and she came to. She's ben swimming erratically for about 10 minutes. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help or just hope for the best?

How'd she do overnight?

Matt glavin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you mixed up some gasses from vacuuming the bed and just thought it was the new water? Just throwing out the thought

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back