IM Nuvo 20 gallon (First Timer) Synner Reef

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a mancrush on the lawnmower blenny, no idea why... really wanna throw that sucker in my nuvo 20g but its a little too big :'( tailspot or bicolor definitely my next choice

Marekp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good I remember those days haha once you get everything where it needs to be you will love it. While the tank is cycling the levels with change drastically

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a place to get a really nice hardtop ( clear_ for a Nuvo 20g fusion tank. then water does evaporate pretty quickly

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 100:!!! As far as my tank has been going, its still developing. Water parameters are very good in terms of no imbalances. I dont really test to much anymore. My livestock has been keeping things in check and everyone seems to be thriving. As for what is new.... CORALS!!! I purchased some corals from @AquaSD . They arrived in great condition and packaging was superb. Friendly service when talking to them as well. I was very pleased. Thank you. I picked up a Dragon Eye Zoa, Magical Acan and a Riccodia Mushroom. They threw in an extra Zoa too!
Zoa1.jpg
Zoa2.jpg
zoa3.jpg
Macan1.jpg
mushroom1.jpg

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a place to get a really nice hardtop ( clear_ for a Nuvo 20g fusion tank. then water does evaporate pretty quickly
I personally do not @actik The tank does evaporate fast thou. I am constantly filling it up.

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I purchased a really cheap 60$ ato. It took some messing around but works great now, worries gone :)

I have used the Hydor smart level, JBJ, and Smart level. I would stay away from the Hydor. Mine was garbage and didn’t work well at all. Almost flooded my room. Sensors didn’t work and were inconsistent. JBJ was great. No issues. The smart level is amazing!! It’s small and works very well!

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with mine was...the magnet to hold the bracket in the sump completely ****** the sensor ? So I cut the bracket and glued it into the sump...worked good since. Fingers crossed I'm away from home for a week hope she isn't flooded haha

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 102: My new light came in! I went ahead and purchased a AI Prime HD. This thing is pretty nice. Little pain to set up to the network but eventually it happened. Setting up my best schedule is going to be tough as im unaware on what most fish / corals need for light. But that comes with time and research. Tested Parameters this morning. Everything is good. I need to get my hands on some Hanna Aquatic stuff. Might be my next purchase or even that AI Nero 5. But holding off as i have some Innovative Marine Random flow things coming in. Ill try that first before i decide on a new power head. Heres my current look!
tank3.jpg
mushroom2.jpg

Aprod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 102: My new light came in! I went ahead and purchased a AI Prime HD. This thing is pretty nice. Little pain to set up to the network but eventually it happened. Setting up my best schedule is going to be tough as im unaware on what most fish / corals need for light. But that comes with time and research. Tested Parameters this morning. Everything is good. I need to get my hands on some Hanna Aquatic stuff. Might be my next purchase or even that AI Nero 5. But holding off as i have some Innovative Marine Random flow things coming in. Ill try that first before i decide on a new power head. Heres my current look!
tank3.jpg
mushroom2.jpg

I think you will like the AI Prime HD on this tank. Mine really makes my corals pop and have been noticing good growth on a small colony of generic Zoas. I am by no means an expert but I did a ton of research on lighting scheduled and ended up going with the AB+ Schedule @ 70%.

Interested to see what you think of the random flow nozzles (I am assuming you bought the spinstreams). I should have enough flow with the Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 Pump and Vortech Mp10, but I have been noticing spots of greenish, brown Algae/Cyano/Diatoms accumulating on my sand bed. Wondering if you notice any of that on your new tank and especially wondering if the Spinstreams will get some flow into my dead spots. I could find a better way to spend $50 if that doesn't improve dead spot flow. Anyways, let us know how that goes!

Finally, how are you liking the skimmer? That's the Nuvoskim Desktop, correct? About ready to pull the trigger.

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 103: I'm loving the Prime light thus far. It didn't kick on schedule because i set it up wrong. It was turned on for Lunar cycle and i think that was messing something up. I finally got it all set up. Turned on and turned off. Last night. I'm not sure what AB+ Schedule means @Aprod . As for the Skimmer , i think its working as intended. I don't know any better because i have only had 1 in my life thus far. Its super quiet. It did have a break in period. I think that is for all skimmers though. And yes its the new NUVOSkim DC pump Skimmer from Innovative Marine that replaced the Ghost Skimmer. And yes the Spinstreams come in today. Ill for sure let you know how it is. I hear they also have a break in period of about a week with noise. I picked up 3 Scarlet Hermit crabs last night. That should be a good addition to the Clean up crew. Really want some more livestock but i need to figure out how to attach the frags i got to the rocks. Happy Reefing!
Skarlet1.jpg
crowded.jpg
skimmer2.jpg

ekoed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the spin stream (just 1), and I love it. It does add a lot of movement to the surface. I should probably get another one, but I that's for another time when I have more money. I can say that its been running on my tank since February 18th, and its still noisy. Not terrible, but noticeable. I also have the Nuvo DC Skimmer, and mine is still producing micro bubbles like crazy. I have flipped it on and off randomly to do things so I don't know if that's delaying my break in, but the bubbles are definitely there. How high do you have your foam in the tube? Bottom, or half?

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 104: The Innovative Spin Streams came in. I installed them. Dear lord they are super noisy . I sleep in the same room as my tank and i noticed it. @ekoed As for Foam in my tube? What do you mean? Can you take a picture? I don't have any foam in my NUVOSkim. Maybe it produces air bubbles because of water level? I'm not sure. But i don't see bubbles very often.

As for the Spin streams. I'm on the fence on them right now. They don't agitate my surface very well. I imagine i can move my power head higher so it does agitate the surface. That's the next logical step. But if these things don't quiet down in a few weeks. I'm removing them and grabbing one of those AI Nero 5's i think. Hope you all have a good Friday. I have had my corals for a full week now. Water Change Sunday coming up! BTW, i'm infatuated with Mushrooms. I wish i knew how to find ideal spots for all my corals. I want to see this thing grow :)
spin1.jpg
Mushroom3.jpg

ekoed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 104: The Innovative Spin Streams came in. I installed them. Dear lord they are super noisy . I sleep in the same room as my tank and i noticed it. @ekoed As for Foam in my tube? What do you mean? Can you take a picture? I don't have any foam in my NUVOSkim. Maybe it produces air bubbles because of water level? I'm not sure. But i don't see bubbles very often.

As for the Spin streams. I'm on the fence on them right now. They don't agitate my surface very well. I imagine i can move my power head higher so it does agitate the surface. That's the next logical step. But if these things don't quiet down in a few weeks. I'm removing them and grabbing one of those AI Nero 5's i think. Hope you all have a good Friday. I have had my corals for a full week now. Water Change Sunday coming up! BTW, i'm infatuated with Mushrooms. I wish i knew how to find ideal spots for all my corals. I want to see this thing grow :)
spin1.jpg
Mushroom3.jpg
Hmm.. I'm at work right now, so no picture yet, but I just meant the bubbles that come up that center chamber in the collection cup. When mine's running depending on where you set that gasket, the bubble level inside the chamber rises or falls. Mine right now is set to about half way up that inner tube in the collection cup, but I get really no skim yet. I don't know if my bio-load is just not big enough yet.

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, i'm not sure what i have spent so far @Wickedfun I got that bulk deal at Bulk Reef Supply for my tank. Recently purchased an AI Prime HD. A couple Spin Streams. A NUVOskim . New 100 watt heater and a new Pump. Testing kits. Food.. Coral food... Corals.. Fish... Fish that died :( .... Buckets... Saltwater mixing bucket....Various odds and ends for testing.. I think quite a bit.. I don't have any raw data on price.

Ahh, i see what you mean @ekoed I took a picture. I normally leave it here. Sometimes i adjust it up and down.
skimmer3.jpg

Wickedfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used 20 gallon IM Nuvo setup with protein skimmer. I have gotten most of my components used, but the WWC live 20190307_124718.jpg sale busted my budget wide open...lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back