OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build thread. Nice plumbing job. I just got the IM 75 EXT installed an running so I will be updating my build thread.
Thanks very much! :)

Very cool you've got the 75! Looking forward to seeing the thread.

BTW, if you aren't aware, you can go to Account Settings (near the bottom) and put your build thread URL in the R2R Tank Thread Link and it will put a Build Thread badge on your signature so everyone can get to it quickly.

Canadareefer666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much! :)

Very cool you've got the 75! Looking forward to seeing the thread.

BTW, if you aren't aware, you can go to Account Settings (near the bottom) and put your build thread URL in the R2R Tank Thread Link and it will put a Build Thread badge on your signature so everyone can get to it quickly.
You have no idea how long I have been trying to figure out how to do this.....

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey beautiful setup! I should be getting one of these soon and trying to figure out the best way to level it....based on the videos I've seen, only the 4 corners carry the load to the floor...is that right? Also, what GPH pump are you using? I ordered one with a max of 1650, is that not enough?

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey beautiful setup! I should be getting one of these soon and trying to figure out the best way to level it....based on the videos I've seen, only the 4 corners carry the load to the floor...is that right? Also, what GPH pump are you using? I ordered one with a max of 1650, is that not enough?
Thanks very much...and congratulations on your upcoming arrival! There are two middle braces, one in the front and one in the rear which would also assist with load bearing. I'm running the Hydor 3200 Seltz D pump (3200 gph) which is way overkill. However, I am only running it on level 3 out of 5 and the manifold splits the volume so that a portion goes through a chiller and the other through the UV sterilizer. I have not (but will soon) measure the volume of water through each to be certain I do not have too much flow, especially through the UV.

Regarding leveling, check your floor ahead of time. Mine was level, so nothing was needed. There is a leveling mat which comes preinstalled on the bottom of the tank which will assist with minor issues. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-leveling-adhesive-rubber-mat-innovative-marine.html

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much...and congratulations on your upcoming arrival! There are two middle braces, one in the front and one in the rear which would also assist with load bearing. I'm running the Hydor 3200 Seltz D pump (3200 gph) which is way overkill. However, I am only running it on level 3 out of 5 and the manifold splits the volume so that a portion goes through a chiller and the other through the UV sterilizer. I have not (but will soon) measure the volume of water through each to be certain I do not have too much flow, especially through the UV.

Regarding leveling, check your floor ahead of time. Mine was level, so nothing was needed. There is a leveling mat which comes preinstalled on the bottom of the tank which will assist with minor issues. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-leveling-adhesive-rubber-mat-innovative-marine.html
Thanks! I noticed that there are pads under the 4 feet so I figured that is the area that touches the floor..

I'm not planning on doing anything more then just the return. Do you think I should go with 2000 GPH?

Also, did you put plywood under the sump?

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I noticed that there are pads under the 4 feet so I figured that is the area that touches the floor..

I'm not planning on doing anything more then just the return. Do you think I should go with 2000 GPH?

Also, did you put plywood under the sump?
Your mileage may vary, but I like running pumps on a lower speed to decrease the noise. Although many DC pumps today are really quiet. You may consider running two smaller pumps for redundancy, especially if you are not doing a manifold of some type.

Yes, I cut a piece of plywood for the bottom and then placed the piece of black plastic (included) on top.

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing progression...

20200722_174638.jpg
How did you get those clamps on the metal stand?

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you mount / store the dosers? I need some and I have not idea how to make them fit in there.

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you mount / store the dosers? I need some and I have not idea how to make them fit in there.
Work in progress. The Kamoer X1 Pro is just sitting on top of the reservoir at present. I've got to go back and mount everything appropriately (cleanly).

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheet metal screws...drill a pilot.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Right now my manifold is just hanging, and it moves back and forth when the pump goes into feeding mode and such. Nice build! I've had mine for roughly a month, and it was crazy how much work it was haha.

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the info. Right now my manifold is just hanging, and it moves back and forth when the pump goes into feeding mode and such. Nice build! I've had mine for roughly a month, and it was crazy how much work it was haha.
No kidding, regarding how much work!! Seems it has been never ending. I'm just now starting to get a sense of normalcy in operation. Once corals start uptaking calcium, etc., then it will time to address dosing. So far, water changes have kept things where they should be.

Good luck with the build and be sure to start a build thread. ;-)

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for asking! I'll try to get some pics posted by Monday. Things are doing well (knock on wood). I do have a weird white sponge with "tentacles" or "roots" on a large frag plug that I want to remove this weekend...darn hitchhikers!

Finally got Nitrates to show up on the Red Sea Pro test kit. I've almost given up on Phosphate. I'll get it barely on the chart and it's gone the next day.

I connected tubing to my old school protein skimmer (EuroReef CS6) to recirculate air to the CO2 scrubber. It made a huge difference!! My pH now stays between 8.0-8.2. For the longest time, it stayed around 7.8-7.9 with a CO2 scrubber. Let it be known that I love the EuroReef skimmer. It is so EASY to clean and maintain. I tried one of the newer and "nicer" skimmers, but could not wait to switch back. The new configurations are a PITA to service (IMO) and they are no better at skimming in my tank than the CS6.

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding, regarding how much work!! Seems it has been never ending. I'm just now starting to get a sense of normalcy in operation. Once corals start uptaking calcium, etc., then it will time to address dosing. So far, water changes have kept things where they should be.

Good luck with the build and be sure to start a build thread. ;-)
Hey any chance you could post a picture of your cabinet insides? Interested in how you have things mounted / hidden. Wires, etc.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checkers are probably the best hobby investment I’ve made testing wise just because I can never really tell on the Red Sea kits I Get. Well the nitrate one is difficult but I hear the Hanna one for that is slightly difficult to use

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Hanna for Alkalinity, Phosphorous and pH (to be sure the Apex pH probe is telling me the truth:). I like the Red Sea Pro kits, overall though.

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey any chance you could post a picture of your cabinet insides? Interested in how you have things mounted / hidden. Wires, etc.
Here are a couple from today. I'm still working on routing wiring the way that I would like.

Attachments

• 20210120_134852.jpg
    20210120_134852.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210120_134918.jpg
    20210120_134918.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 161

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back