UV Sterilizer
2 Media Baskets
Nuvo ATO
Radion XR15 Pro
Icecap 1k gyre
Powerhead 530 GPH
Im Media Reactor

Right now we are having a major algae issue so no pretty pix now
If the tank is new algae is normal. We call it the ugly stage of cycling. Good luck and keep us poste!

OP
OP
ssebz

ssebz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is new algae is normal. We call it the ugly stage of cycling. Good luck and keep us poste!
Hi glb! It's not new a new tank. It's been going strong for over a decade now. I had a little bit of algae and had contacted the LFS for advice (should have known better) and was told to add Chemipur. Still had an issue- then they said to run the phosphate reactor and change water weekly. I had the tank at 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. Now that I am reading through all these amazing posts I am learning it should not have been at 0.0. Another local place advised me that I should get a microscope and check out the little monsters and it seems that I have dinos (not sure what kind). My discovery happened today... now to solve the problem.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi glb! It's not new a new tank. It's been going strong for over a decade now. I had a little bit of algae and had contacted the LFS for advice (should have known better) and was told to add Chemipur. Still had an issue- then they said to run the phosphate reactor and change water weekly. I had the tank at 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. Now that I am reading through all these amazing posts I am learning it should not have been at 0.0. Another local place advised me that I should get a microscope and check out the little monsters and it seems that I have dinos (not sure what kind). My discovery happened today... now to solve the problem.
Oh yes, you can have problems if the nitrates and phosphates zero out. I found out the hard way by overusing Nopox and Gfo. You can raise no3 and po4 with Brightwell Neonitro and Neophos. I’ve had way more trouble when the numbers zero out than when they get a little high.

OP
OP
ssebz

ssebz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much to learn :) It's funny that it has been well over a decade and I thought we had a pretty good understanding of our tank- I sure was wrong!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back