IM nuvo fusion mini 50 show build (or trying to at least lol)

hugo franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys here trying to build a show quality tank out of this IM nuvo fusion 50.

i started out in with fresh water fish tank when i was younger (about 15 years ago now)and it was very successful...as time went on tho i grew bored of the fresh water hobby and just ended up giving everything away to a friend (it was a parrot fish tank and a few discus communal fish's with fresh water plants/log aquascape)

fast forward a few years and now that technology has gotten way better i thought to myself why not jump into salt water fish tank and really challenge myself...but i just dont want any live stock in this tank...

my goal is to have a show caliber tank with nothing but expensive/rare coral/livestock.
(mostly sps/lps but its going to be a mixed reef)

so i watched millions hours of youtubes videos/REEF2REEF lurking and....

4-18-2018: took me a long time to finally choose a all in one tank and my LFS had 1 in stock so i picked it up and brought it home

Items Purchased:
- IM nuvo fusion 50 AIO with stand

IMG_0176.JPG

4-19-2018: i went back to my LFS and i got cycled live rock and RO/DI salt water and started aquascaping and putting in all the sand/water.(this is the first set up but i end up changing it a few times as you'll c in the build) so i started the cycling process.
Items Purchased :
- 2x 20lbs Carib sea fiji pink
-40lbs of live rock
-50 gallons of pre mixed salt water
- Instant Ocean Bio- Spira live bacteria
- Dr Timms One and Only
IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
hugo franco

hugo franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-20-2018: Went back to my LFS to purchase all my filtration needs (it came with 2 filter socks but i didn't think that would be enough filtration for my tank so i bought a few other things to help out.)
Theres 4 chambers in the back so i put the skimmer on the far right chamber and tok out a filter sock, (i have the chamber open on the right side im not sure what else i want to put in there just yet)
On the left side i left the sock there and i added the Chemi Pure inside the sock to help get out anything from the water and make it clear, in the other chamber i decided to make it into a Refugium.
I also ordered the Refugium Starter Pack from algae barn
Items Purchased :
- Chemi-Pure Blue nano(heard great things about it)
- Marine Pure Biofilter Media
- Tunze 9004 Skimmer
- IM Chaeto Max Refugium LED
-Algae barn refium starter pack

IMG_0926.JPG

4-23-2018: Went back to my LFS and i saw that he had a yellow tang and i couldnt help but take him home (DONT JUDGE ME PLEASE LOL :()
he was a very skinny shy little guy i felt so bad for him in there i fedlt like i had to take him home and help him ....ATM i dont have a quarantine tank but my LFS runs copper in there system and i asked them to feed him before i went home so i could watch his appetite...he ate great and swam fine and visually he looked good so i brought him home...fresh water dipped him and put him in my DT.
IMG_0267.JPG

4-28-2018: 5 days have passed since getting the tang...aside from being shy hes doing great but hes hiding a lot behind the rocks and seem to make himself a little hole/home
went back to my LFS that day and i purchased a light.:)
Items Purchased:
-Kessil 360 WE Tuna Blue
-Kessil Gooseneck
IMG_0370.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
hugo franco

hugo franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4-30-2018:
after visiting a lot of my LFS for my coral selection......it just wasn't what i was lookingfor....and after researching i decided to work with 1 coral supplier to help stock my tank and i selected Unique Coral since ive heard nothing but good things and there selection is AMAZING... so i picked 2 items...after dipping them i put them in my DT
Items Purchased:
-Unique Coral - Toxic Green Wall Hammer coral
- Uunique Coral - Red Mint Blastomussa
IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

5-1-2018:
My refugium Starter Pack from Algae Barn finally came in. (i didn't take any pictures on the inside of the box sadly)
so i set it up that day in the 2nd left chamber next to the filter sock...and i added the biopellets at the bottom of the refugium.
IMG_0927.JPG

5-2-2018: went back to my LFS( at this point we know each other on a first name basis LOL) and i decided to pick up a power head to get some more water flowing thrue out the tank.
Items Purchased:
-Vortech Quietdrive MP10
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hugo franco

hugo franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-4-2018: so i know i said i was only going to do a Unique Coral only tank...but i found a coral place about 10 minutes from my house so i stopped by to check it out.
the place was called Two Guys Corals nice place with a huge selection but mostly focusing on acros...everything looked great and healthy...but the prices were a little high here...had Matt helping me out in my selection and AWSOME GUYS...couldn't of had better help..so i ended up getting 3 pieces total....like i said it was a little expensive and i liked the selection at unique coral a little better personally....so other then these 2 pieces im going to stick to my Unique Coral only tank.

i also stopped my usual LFS and picked up cleaner Shrimp pair
Items Purchased:
Two guys coral

- Green and Purple tip Anemone
-Chalice white / pink spots
-Pink Encrusting coral
On this haul i just got things i liked visually but im hoping some one might be able to identefy the type of chalice i got and the type of pink encrusting coral i got

Items Purchased:
LFS

-2 cleaner chrimp (a pair)

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

5-9-2018: went to my LFS yet again and i purchased my kessil controller and programmed it to ramp up and down and mimic the sun like it would out on the ocean.slowly automating the tank
Items Purchased:
-Kessil Spectral Controller
IMG_0931.JPG

5-15-2018: after getting my salt water from the LFS for a few week i got a refractometer a week ago and started testing the salitity...well it ended up at 30 PPT and i just wasnt happy about hwere it was....cuz if salitity is low then that means everything else is low too(i only have 5 pieces of coral in here ATM but i still want them to grow and get as much color as possible...so i bought a 55 salt mix of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt...lets c how it goes now with the new salt mix. also did my first ever water change in a month (only did a 20% change since i was switching salts).( nitrates stayed under 5 the whole time so i didnt c a need to change the water and even tho the salt came low from the LFS i always added salt water to the top off since the salt stayed but the water evaporated it was a quick fix to elevate the salt levels)
IMG_0932.JPG

5-16-2018: went back to Unique Coral today and i got a little baby maximus clam! i wanted 1 of these little guys ever since i wanted to start my tank and i finally got 1..hes so happy now and so am i :D
IMG_0930.JPG

5-28-2018: did a 10% water change this week and i started dosing coral rejuvinator(only 2 drops every 2 days)
i dont have a phospate checker or a alkalinity checker so i cant post all the reading =( sorry guys ill have that soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
hugo franco

hugo franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-31-2018: Went back to Unique Corals and i picked up a few more frags today SORRY I TOTALLY FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES THIS DAY! =(
Items Purchased:
-Montipore - Orange digitata
-montipora - Solomon Islands Purple Digitata
-Seriatopora - Thick Branched Green Birdsnest
- Goniopora - UC Rising Sun Goniopora
-Micromusa - yellow/red Acan lord

6-4-2018: anothere 10% water change i also changed my aquascape a bit but again i didnt take pictures =(
salitity: 35PPT
nitrates: 3-5
Alk: ??
mag: ??
calc: ??
im gonna order the test kits soon promise guys

6-6-2018: started dosing kalk wash thrue my top off water that i usually put in everyday 3 times a day....i need to invest in a ATO to make my life easier lol

6-9-2018:everything has been going great and stable...corals growing, tangs seems very healthy, as does the anemone things r getting to the "boring stable growing" part of the hobby heres my tank as it sits today. im going to start addings Acros next and i also want to put more livestock in there so make more movement anybody have any suggestions on what new fish to get?
thanks guys
65254978534r4wrtegfdsdf.JPG

Last edited:

Jeremy Fowler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! You move fast, them trips would have cleaned my account out lol i did 2 builds one for the wife and one for me lol its cleaned my spare cash right out. How do you like the 9004 skimmer? I got one for my m90 havent set it up yet tho.
20180418_221722.jpg
15238082305446768900394142800881.jpg

OP
OP
hugo franco

hugo franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! You move fast, them trips would have cleaned my account out lol i did 2 builds one for the wife and one for me lol its cleaned my spare cash right out. How do you like the 9004 skimmer? I got one for my m90 havent set it up yet tho.
20180418_221722.jpg
15238082305446768900394142800881.jpg

the 9004 is a good skimmer...just gotta play a little with it to dial in how much it bubbles...aside from that ive no problems with it.
wow TWO TANKS?:eek: thats a lot of money 2 lol ive been saving a little bit for a tank tho and having unique corals so close by is just bad for my wallet lol
what type of tanks are you and your wife doing?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back