IM owners: How do you clean your filter socks

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the desktop filter socks on my tank and currently only have 2 in rotation. Curious to know how you guys clean yours. Do you just run them under the sink to break off loose debris? Do you wash them with your normal laundry? Do you just throw 2-3 in the washer? I’m hesitant to throw them in with normal laundry given how dirty they are and I don’t want to use detergent or softener with them.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thank you! While it seems wasteful I’ll probably buy a few more socks and then run them in the wash. I just feel guilty hogging the washer for these tiny socks lol

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my socks I didn’t like how they clogged and weren’t easily washable. I just run floss instead and that’s super easy to change out two to three times a week.
I might honestly try the same. Do you feel you maintain the same water clarity?

Eloise928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that soaking them in hydrogen peroxide rather than just washing with bleach help break down organic matter more efficiently. Havent tried this yet as I just read this a few days ago but will do if it means I can avoid using prime after every wash.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that soaking them in hydrogen peroxide rather than just washing with bleach help break down organic matter more efficiently. Havent tried this yet as I just read this a few days ago but will do if it means I can avoid using prime after every wash.
That is interesting. I think I saw people using it in the thread that was shared earlier. If that’s the case you could probably just soak them in the bucket and give them a quick rinse in the sink and they’ll be good to go

Eloise928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. I think I saw people using it in the thread that was shared earlier. If that’s the case you could probably just soak them in the bucket and give them a quick rinse in the sink and they’ll be good to go
I hope it be that easy. It would save me some time. Going to try it this weekend.

ReeferMaddne$$

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always just soaked them in diluted bleach over night and then rinse them out and flush with RODI water.

I don't use them all the time though. The UV sterilizer took up their spot when I run it.

Last edited:

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse them and then my wife puts them in the washer, a splash of bleach first wash them just water the second wash. Air dry and use again. I do have 3 tanks, 3 different type of socks, wash every 3rd change.

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used mine. I bought the InTank floss holder for my 50 lagoon and a 3-pack of the large filter pads. I precut a full sheet into about 15 floss pads and just change them out regularly.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The socks take up too much room for the same job a small bit of floss could do, you then have free space for other media.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my socks I didn’t like how they clogged and weren’t easily washable. I just run floss instead and that’s super easy to change out two to three times a week.
This was the best thing i did. No more clogged socks, easy to change and dead silent.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to sit in bleach overnight, then change with clean water for a few days then let dry.
Then did one soak with bleach, one rinse, dry in sun.
Then washing machine and let dry.
They all worked, they were all no fun and a stinky chore. Now I don’t run socks and would not look back.
Fir a new tank or for when mixing up sand or blowing off rocks they’re useful

Last edited:

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like many here, soak in bleach over night or till they look fairly white again then into the washer they go with an extra rinse and air dry.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back