Cleaning Filter Socks with Sonicator?

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, Reefers!

I finally exhausted my first dozen filter socks and now I have to clean them. I hear throwing them in the washing machine is the move. Problem is I don't want to do that because that's where I wash mine and my family's clothes!

I was wondering if anyone has experience cleaning them with a sonicator?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning, Reefers!

I finally exhausted my first dozen filter socks and now I have to clean them. I hear throwing them in the washing machine is the move. Problem is I don't want to do that because that's where I wash mine and my family's clothes!

I was wondering if anyone has experience cleaning them with a sonicator?
I use a washtub in the basement - all you need to do is just rinse them with some pressure - and you're done in 10 minutes. I would think buying a Sonicator would be overkill?

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a washtub in the basement - all you need to do is just rinse them with some pressure - and you're done in 10 minutes. I would think buying a Sonicator would be overkill?
Probably. I think I'm ok with overkill. Will post results!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably. I think I'm ok with overkill. Will post results!
I wasn't criticising you BTW. -I never understood why people use the washing machine either:). The results will be interesting. What would be really interesting is a small experiment (you can post it in the research forum) - sonicator vs bleach vs rinsing vs washing machine:):)

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't criticising you BTW. -I never understood why people use the washing machine either:). The results will be interesting. What would be really interesting is a small experiment (you can post it in the research forum) - sonicator vs bleach vs rinsing vs washing machine:):)
No worries, I didn't interpret what you said as criticism. That's a good idea to post on the research forum!

I hope it works! In theory (assuming it does work), it would at the very least use less water. Possibly less time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back