IM Return Pump Troubleshooting Help

NYC Reef Keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Innovative Marine MightyJet XL - 2656 GPH DC Submersible Return Pump and it will turn on for a few seconds then turns off and says E2 which is the error code for low voltage. I’ve tried it on multiple different outlets and unplugged other things, yet it does the same thing every time. Any tips or advice?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either your power supply is providing low voltage, not likely but possible.

Your controller is borked. I don't believe that either.

Or your motor isn't performing as it should creating a larger draw in the system. I'd check the impeller bearing it's the little one you can see opposite from the magnet.

Just pull the cover off, remove the impeller, wipe it clean if it's not already. Then reassemble ensuring the impeller and bearing are aligned and seated properly.

If that doesn't get you through, call or email IM. Their customer service has always been great to me. On my 4th IM tank.

Edit:

Afterthought Incase anyone cares.

Low voltage with DC controllers doesn't necessarily mean it's being supplied low voltage. It means that there is insufficient voltage to turn the motor/impeller (however you want to view that relationship). It's a pretty important distinction. If it's bound or binding, it could generate extra heat by drawing more current.

Typical low voltage faults, no matter the device are going to be; bound up bearings and obstructed or dirty impellers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NYC Reef Keeper

NYC Reef Keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either your power supply is providing low voltage, not likely but possible.

Your controller is borked. I don't believe that either.

Or your motor isn't performing as it should creating a larger draw in the system. I'd check the impeller bearing it's the little one you can see opposite from the magnet.

Just pull the cover off, remove the impeller, wipe it clean if it's not already. Then reassemble ensuring the impeller and bearing are aligned and seated properly.

If that doesn't get you through, call or email IM. Their customer service has always been great to me. On my 4th IM tank.

Edit:

Afterthought Incase anyone cares.

Low voltage with DC controllers doesn't necessarily mean it's being supplied low voltage. It means that there is insufficient voltage to turn the motor/impeller (however you want to view that relationship). It's a pretty important distinction. If it's bound or binding, it could generate extra heat by drawing more current.

Typical low voltage faults, no matter the device are going to be; bound up bearings and obstructed or dirty impellers.
Thank you for the response. I took it apart and it was clean with everything in its correct place. I called IM and they asked me to email them a video and they’d get back to me tomorrow. They said the motor might be defective. I’ve dealt with their customer service in the past and its always been hit or miss in my experience.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back