OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good! Waiting a few days to let the bacteria settle and start populating. Fed the empty tank a healthy portion of LRS reef frenzy for something to break down in there.

On wednesday I will turn the skimmer on and let that baby start the break in process. ( I let it run for about an hour the other day and it was already skimming but was sending off some microbubbles so may just need adjustment)

I love the sand in the tank, cant go wrong with the tropic eden reef flakes. I just need to get the flow figured out so it does not have a barespot right in the middle infront of the big rock. It will help when I put the other mp40 on the other side and get that going. Definitely do not need 4 on this tank as the 1 thats on there now provides plenty of flow at 75%. I will likely throw another on the opposite end and have them both alternate ramping from 10-75% and back down again.

I also will have to adjust my lighting profile as I think it will be a little too strong for a 16" tank depth as its probably closer to 13-14" of water after sand is taken into account or even less. Thankfully I can mount them pretty high up and with the amount of coverage they provide I should not have any noticeable shading

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze 9012dc is a beast of a little skimmer. Even at the lowest percentage it fills the cup quickly in this (empty) tank. Still needs to be broken in but I can only run it when I am home to dump the skimmer cup back into the tank. I am thinking that this skimmer, the marine pure, siporax and matrix in the back chambers will allow for a very healthy bioload of fish. Speaking of fish I am still struggling with what to actually put in here.

My clown, purple tang, starry blenny and orchid dotty back will make the move (sorry six line, you arent invited!)

I want a couple of wrasses, probably a yellow coris for sure and radiant wrasse would be cool and possibly a red lined or christmas wrasse if one shows up on DD.

I also think a harem of of Royal Gramma would be cool, or a black cap basslet pair. Not 100% set on either of these ideas yet however.

Where does everyone order their fish? I have good luck from DD, but dont have a good LFS for fish that I trust anymore

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze 9012dc is a beast of a little skimmer. Even at the lowest percentage it fills the cup quickly in this (empty) tank. Still needs to be broken in but I can only run it when I am home to dump the skimmer cup back into the tank. I am thinking that this skimmer, the marine pure, siporax and matrix in the back chambers will allow for a very healthy bioload of fish. Speaking of fish I am still struggling with what to actually put in here.

My clown, purple tang, starry blenny and orchid dotty back will make the move (sorry six line, you arent invited!)

I want a couple of wrasses, probably a yellow coris for sure and radiant wrasse would be cool and possibly a red lined or christmas wrasse if one shows up on DD.

I also think a harem of of Royal Gramma would be cool, or a black cap basslet pair. Not 100% set on either of these ideas yet however.

Where does everyone order their fish? I have good luck from DD, but dont have a good LFS for fish that I trust anymore

In addition to DD, I recently used Collector’s Choice from BlueZooAquatics and was very happy with the shipping and my fish. Fish survived a 24 hour FedEx delay.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to DD I recently used Collector’s Choice from BlueZooAquatics and was very happy with the shipping and my fish. Fish survived a 24 hour FedEx delay.
Good to know! I havent ordered from blue zoo since probably 2009 or so lol kind of forgot about them!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer seems to have broken in, Runs nice and quiet, no more micro bubbles, beautiful foam head (with what little organics are in this tank) and set at the lowest possible setting on the DC controller. As it fills up this gives the skimmer additional room to add filtration as well! All in all so far i am Very happy with the purchase and would recommend to others with AIO tanks!

Aside from this, I will be fragging up much of my stuff this weekend if i get the chance and moving test frags into the new display to see how they fare. I tested ammonia the first day, but it has remained at 0 every day since dosing Dr tims and biospira. I have been feeding the tank elos pellets and lrs reef frenzy (even though it is empty) to help build up that bio filter. Got some nasties growing on the rock that was out of water during the move but im sure that will be gone within a week or so as well.

All in all so far a painless setup for this build!

Still need to re-program my apex and plug everything into it
Need to mount apex Dos (Im on the fence of doing 2 part that i have, or dosing saturated kalk with the doser and leaving the ATO with just ro water)
Hoping to pick up a couple fish this weekend as well to put in the display!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this up for my own documentation! This is the last picture I'll have of my temporary tank before I begin the teardown and prep for the transition!

And it is fairly doctored by the Google photos automatic editing thing. But unfortunately I didn't save the original do here it is anyways
20180815_182806-EFFECTS.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this up for my own documentation! This is the last picture I'll have of my temporary tank before I begin the teardown and prep for the transition!

And it is fairly doctored by the Google photos automatic editing thing. But unfortunately I didn't save the original do here it is anyways
20180815_182806-EFFECTS.jpg

They look eager!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing has proven steady! Some uglies on the rockwork but already starting to go away.

Moved the sick anemone out of treatment into the tank and it has settled in nicely! Also moved over initial corals for testing and most are looking better in the new tank than they were in the other one so I continued moving stuff over. This tank will be running a heavy WC regimin the first month or so to account for general new tanky-ness.

Had to burn some credit I had at live aquaria and incedentially ALL the wrasses I planned for this build were in stock and arrive tuesday.

I have only had a single mp40 in the tank and even at 60% I find placing any lps difficult due to the flow it puts off. I'll have to monitor that and see what adding the second one across from that does with the flow dynamic.

Lighting is touch to balance as my other light is still over the temp tank, so the 3 kessil a80s the tank came with are over the second half of the tank .

Apex is setup and configured and so is the Dos. For now dosing will just be kalk on the Dos. It is set to dose ~150 ml or so a day and the ato will account for the rest of the evap. The reservoir is a 5 gallon bucket so it should last around 20-25 days of dosing. Will adjust as needed of course.

At this point about 3/4 of the livestock (other than fish) has been moved over and somewhat placed. The other tank is still setup and running as normal in case things start to go south I can quickly move them back for recovery but I don't think it will be needed as this is the third or fourth time I've setup a tank this way without issues.

Skimmer is dialed in and foam head is sitting nicely where I want it, adjustments will need to be made as the bioload increases but trucking along good for now.

Enough wall of text, pictures!

20180819_180646.jpg
20180819_180653.jpg
20180819_180658.jpg
20180819_180721.jpg
20180819_180728.jpg
20180819_180705.jpg
20180819_180717.jpg
20180819_180637.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back