OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Nice to see another fellow Mitras user! Mind sharing your light program with us?
Hey Whipples!

I did have my own custom setting that was doing well, but when i moved from the small tank to this one I felt the need to change it. I tried to mirror the AB+ spectrum as best as i could now and it is working but i think it leaves something to be desired. At this point though ive messed with it a bit too much so im just gonna leave it. These lights are AWESOME. But when i transition to the 120 fatboy I am going back to T5. Or t5/led. Reason being is because I cant stop tinkering with the lighting profiles and intensities and its doing more harm than good. Do i know this? Yes. Do I have the willpower to not tinker? No..

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar boat, thinking of the Aquatic Life hybrid T5 so I can continue using the mitras. For LED their spread is unbeatable and they have decent power, but once you move beyond 100% on power settings it requires a bit of math to adjust and the spectral chart becomes less meaningful. I can grow coralline like crazy, corals not as much!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar boat, thinking of the Aquatic Life hybrid T5 so I can continue using the mitras. For LED their spread is unbeatable and they have decent power, but once you move beyond 100% on power settings it requires a bit of math to adjust and the spectral chart becomes less meaningful. I can grow coralline like crazy, corals not as much!
My best results were as follows based on memory

Violet, UV, and all blue channels at 100%. White channels at ~40% Green and red at 15%. Power balancing had blues and uv and violet at 120% and everything else at 80%. In high output mode. Should have been around 16.7k during peak lighting temp wise.

Thats funny cause I cant grow corraline to save my life. In either this tank or the last one.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Vinny's program posted to the GHL group on facebook, however I run it at 80% and am thinking I will move it down to 75%. I had a loss of nearly all SPS and my hammers have bailed heads when I ran it at full which I am still not sure of what the culprit was (likely a mix of not enough food via bioload and not enough nutrients as I had my tank going through the "ugly" phase while having strong light). I haven't put any corals back in for fear of the same results and haven't had the time to really put into the tank to get it back to coral ready. Ironically enough by just letting it run and checking salinity/topoff water coralline exploded! Haven't done a water change since September and dose Triton to keep levels ok.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Vinny's program posted to the GHL group on facebook, however I run it at 80% and am thinking I will move it down to 75%. I had a loss of nearly all SPS and my hammers have bailed heads when I ran it at full which I am still not sure of what the culprit was (likely a mix of not enough food via bioload and not enough nutrients as I had my tank going through the "ugly" phase while having strong light). I haven't put any corals back in for fear of the same results and haven't had the time to really put into the tank to get it back to coral ready. Ironically enough by just letting it run and checking salinity/topoff water coralline exploded! Haven't done a water change since September and dose Triton to keep levels ok.
Anyway you can share the FB group or link to that LPC? Its been mentioned a few times but ive been unable to find it

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to his post of his light file : https://www.facebook.com/groups/GHLOwners/files/ R2R does not support the .lpc extension so I can't upload directly. His power balancing settings are in the thumbnails. I've attached two images representing the normal peak, and white peak corresponding to his project. Because of powerbalancing the color temperature indicated via Light Composer is going to be different than as presented.

There was a slight tweak to this program but the basics are there as these are slightly dated screenshots:
Mitras Peak Blues.png

Mitras peak 15k.png

VA LX7 Acro PBT settings.PNG

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to his post of his light file : https://www.facebook.com/groups/GHLOwners/files/ R2R does not support the .lpc extension so I can't upload directly. His power balancing settings are in the thumbnails. I've attached two images representing the normal peak, and white peak corresponding to his project. Because of powerbalancing the color temperature indicated via Light Composer is going to be different than as presented.

There was a slight tweak to this program but the basics are there as these are slightly dated screenshots:
Mitras Peak Blues.png

Mitras peak 15k.png

VA LX7 Acro PBT settings.PNG
You rock sir! I might give this a shot on my setup as well! Thanks much!

trelopoulos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my friend, great tank ! Wish you all the best!
I wanna ask, i am setting an SR60 and i am thinking to go with the same skimmer tunze 9012 dc. I saw both specs and both have the same skimmer (sub) room.. so i think it fits. How does it perform? Did you had any microbubble issue because i see a lot of mix reviews.. cheers.

Last edited:

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here is my slightly modified that I am currently running at 90% via acclimation and a fair amount of cloud movement.

First image shows the run as best I can without being able to resize the box. I have mine turn on at 10AM off at 10PM, however the color settings still show pre-daylight savings time in the screenshots so go by the text and the run ramp below:

Light Run.jpg

Here is the power balancing:
Power Settings.jpg

Here is the 11AM color setting (0% at 10AM ramping up ignore 12pm as that is pre DST):
20k ramp.jpg

11-1130AM:
18k 1230.jpg

17k from 1230-1:45:
17k 1pm.jpg

Followed by the 15k daytime for a bit of par that runs 2:00-3:30

15k daytime.jpg

Then back to this from 345-830:
17k 1pm.jpg

9pm ramping to 0 (ignore time, all other settings correct):

20k ramp.jpg

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my friend, great tank ! Wish you all the best!
I wanna ask, i am setting an SR60 and i am thinking to go with the same skimmer tunze 9012 dc. I saw both specs and both have the same skimmer (sub) room.. so i think it fits. How does it perform? Did you had any microbubble issue because i see a lot of mix reviews.. cheers.
I do like the skimmer! It works well enough for me, pulling some very very smelly junk from my tank. Micro bubbles were an issue for the first week or so but is a non issue now that it is broken in. I negated the issue with some filter floss stuffed behind the skimmer but it wasnt a huge issue anyways.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to jack the OP's thread but I am also running Mitras and had this exact thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. All acros died within two weeks, zoas closed, lps shriveled, some hammer heads bailed etc. I am also running Vinny's (he may have posted more than one by now) profile on acclimation mode, throttling to 65%. My acclimation mode ran out without me realizing and lights went back up to the 90-100% intensity his profile is set to. Unsure if this was the cause of my problems (non-existent nutrients on test kits, though I know some are present in the system) or not, but like you, I am afraid to add any corals back now in case it wasn't the lighting. Acclimation mode ran out on Oct. 18th, sps were all dead by Nov. 12th, but most occurred within the month of November.

I wish there was an easy way to wholesale reduce intensity of these profiles without needing to use acclimation mode, because you have to remember to keep extending it.

Anyway, carry on. :)

trelopoulos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the skimmer! It works well enough for me, pulling some very very smelly junk from my tank. Micro bubbles were an issue for the first week or so but is a non issue now that it is broken in. I negated the issue with some filter floss stuffed behind the skimmer but it wasnt a huge issue anyways.
Thanx for the info bro i will go with the same skimmer then. And hope it breaks in fine.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJoFan i have it running at 90% acclimation mode with the end date set to 2025 :). I think a mixture of nutrients, and I don’t know what method he is running, but ever since then I’ve kept them at less than full. Side note- by keeping them at this lower rate coralline took off in my tank. I’ll see if I can get more info out of him and report back. They are excellent lights but I think a par meter may be required due to their excellent coverage.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJoFan i have it running at 90% acclimation mode with the end date set to 2025 :). I think a mixture of nutrients, and I don’t know what method he is running, but ever since then I’ve kept them at less than full. Side note- by keeping them at this lower rate coralline took off in my tank. I’ll see if I can get more info out of him and report back. They are excellent lights but I think a par meter may be required due to their excellent coverage.
How many fixtures are you running on what size tank? I'm running 4 over a 5' 150g. I also set my acclimation period much further out now, and will probably set it even further out.

My coralline was starting to take off, but over this past month has actually gone on the decline from what it was for whatever reason. Not sure if too strong of lighting can actually cause coralline to disappear though.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick tank update!

Picked up some goodies during the @Bulk Reef Supply Black friday sale!!

Upgraded my Algaefree Hammerhead float with the razor attachment and replaced the scrubby pad and flet pad and wow. 1000% better than before! Best scraper ive used, and ive tried them all.

Got another mp40qd to replace the older WES style I have on the once side and I hope to install it this weekend if i have time.

Picked up a deluxe reactor setup, but im unsure if im going to use it with this setup or just wait until I move to the 120.

Picked up t5 bulbs and mounting legs for my Giesemann fixtures im going to test out and use on the 120. I love the Mitras, but on the next tank Ill either be going full t5 with an 8 bulb Matrixx II Dimtech or the Aurora hybrid. My anemones have always looked best under T5 and as that is the direction I want to go it makes the most sense to me to incorporate that. I will keep the Mitras for a bit just to make sure I didnt make the wrong choice of course.

Past that, I setup a little 20 gallon long that I had for QT as an anemone tank. I managed to get a good deal on a broodstock of black widow nems, and a bunch of rose anemones so they are hanging out in there. Unfortunately it had a mini crash during the thanksgiving holidays as the lawnmower blenny i picked up died and there is no cleanup crew so it just sat and rotted. I hope to convert this system to a more permanent setup or buy another system locally for that purpose. I may or may not start another thread for that but likely updates to that system will show up in my main thread

Anyways, here are a few quick photos i took the other day. Thanks for reading!
IMG_20181118_090104_908.jpg
IMG_20181124_143733_961.jpg
IMG_20181019_110220_030.jpg
20181106_162829.jpg
20181106_162802.jpg
20181106_162805.jpg

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the new night mode on the pixel and the photo is very true to life color wise! Not the best shot but does a good job showing the rendition. Lights are about 18k or so in this shot
IMG_20181202_145713.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back