IM vs Prostar

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I missed the Christmas/New Year's sales, but still looking to upgrade. I'm looking at 150g. I currently have an IM but wondering what the big differences are between the IM and Prostar besides the price tag.

I have never had a tank with a sump before, so this is all new to me, too. Thanks for any input.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the prostar come with the plumbing kit? I see images on their site but it looks like everything needs to be glued and I didn't see it mentioned that plumbing was included. I've been kicking around a new tank. Redsea, waterbox, and IM all offer a system with tank, stand, sump, and plumbing that does not have to be glued. Sorry I'm not sure if your looking for something like that or just looking for opinions between prostar and IM. You said you have never had a sump so IMO one of the completed systems would be easier but more expensive. Custom would give more options for usually less expense but required more work planning things then plumbing.

EDIT: There may be other companies besides the three I mentioned that offer complete system. Those are just the ones I'm familiar with. It's not a recommendation ;)

OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do the prostar come with the plumbing kit? I see images on their site but it looks like everything needs to be glued and I didn't see it mentioned that plumbing was included. I've been kicking around a new tank. Redsea, waterbox, and IM all offer a system with tank, stand, sump, and plumbing that does not have to be glued. Sorry I'm not sure if your looking for something like that or just looking for opinions between prostar and IM. You said you have never had a sump so IMO one of the completed systems would be easier but more expensive. Custom would give more options for usually less expense but required more work planning things then plumbing.

EDIT: There may be other companies besides the three I mentioned that offer complete system. Those are just the ones I'm familiar with. It's not a recommendation ;)
Thanks for the good information. I am now looking at the waterbox too :)

Leon.NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have the Prostar 150 currently. Everything comes pre-glued & just requires you to screw on the 2x drains & return. I can say that the tank and stand are beautiful. The acrylic is gloss white and easy to maintain. I did have two incidents where I broke the glass doors - I contacted Proclear and they sent out a replacement door with no questions asked. The second time during my move it cracked again by one of the movers - Proclear sent another replacement door for $100. My only gripe is the drains.. the silencing caps allow for a build-up for oils on the water surface (due to mostly frozen foods being fed). This can easily be fixed by angling the drain covers but you do get minimal sound from the water going down the drain. Personally I like the sound of trickling water so it'll be a preference thing. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the tank or would like some photos!

OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! I have the Prostar 150 currently. Everything comes pre-glued & just requires you to screw on the 2x drains & return. I can say that the tank and stand are beautiful. The acrylic is gloss white and easy to maintain. I did have two incidents where I broke the glass doors - I contacted Proclear and they sent out a replacement door with no questions asked. The second time during my move it cracked again by one of the movers - Proclear sent another replacement door for $100. My only gripe is the drains.. the silencing caps allow for a build-up for oils on the water surface (due to mostly frozen foods being fed). This can easily be fixed by angling the drain covers but you do get minimal sound from the water going down the drain. Personally I like the sound of trickling water so it'll be a preference thing. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the tank or would like some photos!
Fantastic, and thank you for your feedback! I would absolutely love to see some pictures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back