OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from my morning walk, Thank God summer is coming. Anyway getting back to the tank. We discussed how to aquascape to keep the fish as stressful as we can.

This is another home made rock. It is bent PVC pipe with a cement covering.

This is a coral reef in Bora Bora. I took this probably 20 years ago.. You can make out a moorish Idol on the bottom center. It is hard to see but the bottom is nothing but passages through the rock and every fish will dive in when you, or those sharks get close. They will not get scratched and they will all fit in because of their lateral line.

This was my tank just when I moved everything here from my old house "before" I put the corals back in. Everything was in vats for the move.
The aquascape is nothing but holes and passageways through the entire 6' tank so the fish can traverse anywhere they want without being seen.

It looks more like this here. I think this was a year or two ago.

So beside the aquascape to reduce stress we need bacteria on those rocks. Bacteria are more important than anything else you can add to the tank. We can get the correct bacteria from live rock but remember when we buy anything from a store that rock may have been there for a year or two so the compliment of bacteria on that rock may be just the same bacteria as the store owner has in his tanks. Of course it could have been in the sea last week. We just don't know but it's the best we have.

I feel if you want to set up a tank with 100% dry rock and ASW, do something else. Get a different hobby, perhaps hang gliding or bungee jumping which would be much easier than trying to start a reef tank that way. Yes, it can be done and was done many times but I am sure most if not all of them had problems.

Such a tank has none of the correct bacteria. We are not talking about gut bacteria here just normal bacteria that will process ammonia which the fish excrete, nitrates which also comes from waste products and phosphate. Those things will build up in a tank without sufficient bacteria causing all sorts of problems forcing many of us to go on the disease forum thinking the fish are sick. They are sick, but not from disease, from unwanted pollutants.

If we put a fish in a tank with ASW and dry rock with nothing else, it will die in a short time due to ammonia poisoning. This is very common and the fish usually dies with his mouth wide open and his gills flared out. Fish have little tolerance to ammonia but the correct bacteria will get out the ammonia in no time and any tank with a little age on it will not have a problem.

This is one reason we see on disease forums a tank full of dying fish with no likely disease problems. It's to new of a tank to have all that life in it and not enough bacteria to process it.

Just 2 days ago I had to go to a wake. My friends son came up to me and said he started a reef tank. Right away I cringed because I knew what was coming next. I asked: What do you have in the tank? He said urchins, crabs, anemone crabs a "bunch" of damsels and a couple of small tangs. I asked when did you set up the tank? 6 weeks ago. I hope he lost my number because those animals are going to die.

Those fish will get sick and he will add all sorts of"treatments" that his LFS will gladly sell him. In a year, he will sell everything and get out of the hobby and get a job in Home Depot loading toilet bowls into mini vans.

His tank is way to new to add almost anything, especially tangs and anemone crabs which are filter feeders.
It takes time to build up enough and the correct type of bacteria for almost anything to live correctly and bacteria in a bottle (whatever that is) won't help.

We need a variety of bacteria, viruses and funguses to thrive and eventually get along so the tank runs on auto pilot. That will take a couple of years and not weeks.

My wife is up, I need to make breakfast so I will have to get back to this

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Very interesting stuff. I have always tried to follow the gut bacteria logic feeding freshly collected mussels and even mix up my home made fix food using blended Mackerel. Looking forward to reading the rest. Any tips on coral immunity/ resistance to pests?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this stuff Paul, thanks!

I do wish for more of and see a great lack of things like macroalgae in tanks and other important pieces of this ecosystem that complete the cycle and breadth of complex life.

I'm curious Paul do you run a UV sterilizer? To my mind those things directly work against what you're explaining as important to have there.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always enjoy your posts, Paul. I'll be interested to hear how you replenish the bacteria. I know you collect ocean water periodically, but do you sterilize it before adding? I'm sure you'll get to all that.

Now, take care of your wife. I hope she is doing better than she was earlier in the year. And I hope you're taking care of yourself too. Your tank and your wife depend on you.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Never thought of that. So if I am understanding correctly, if I have my hand in the tank without them seeing it they know?
My clown ALWAYS knows when my hand is in the tank. They even know before I even know it’s going into the tank and they are prepared for it….

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be technical, the lateral line detects water movement, pressure changes, and temperature changes. So basically every time you stomp your feet across the room towards the tank, they're feeling that and eventually pattern match it with impending food drops.

It does make me wonder what impact all the rumbling and noise all the equipment has in the fish. What if they could be less stressed if people took more care to appropriately deaden their cabinets with anti vibration foam?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on coral immunity/ resistance to pests?
I am in the middle of installing a very cool invention in my kitchen. So I have time restraints now but I will see what I can answer quickly.

I do not have any tips on coral immunity as I never experienced any coral diseases except one a couple of weeks ago. I bought a hammer coral about 5" and in a short time half it it got that slimy coral wasting disease and started sliming and croaking. I took it out and with a chisel broke off the dead parts and put the coral in about 2 pints of salt water with 6 drops of Luguls Iodine. I left it in there for about 10 minutes and put it back in the tank. Now it is my best looking coral and is stretching to the sky. I am not sure if what I did was good, or if the coral is afraid I will do it again. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Wait, regular garden earthworms are yummy/good for our fishies?!
They are a great food for fish and anemones and as was said one of the favorites of copperbands. I use them all the time when I collect them. They are also one of the only foods my red waspfish will eat because they are spoiled. I have 3 of them. Leave the dirt in them when you give them to the fish.

I'm curious Paul do you run a UV sterilizer? To my mind those things directly work against what you're explaining as important to have there.
No, as you said, that would short circuit my method. I like parasites and feel they are needed to keep fish immune from parasites.
Always enjoy your posts, Paul. I'll be interested to hear how you replenish the bacteria. I know you collect ocean water periodically, but do you sterilize it before adding? I'm sure you'll get to all that.

Now, take care of your wife. I hope she is doing better than she was earlier in the year
Micky, I do not have to replenish the bacteria in the tank but I do add some rocks or water from the sea when I get ambitious. I doubt it is needed. The gut bacteria is very important and the foods I feed are loaded with gut bacteria which is a big part of the secret that so many people fail to do.
To be technical, the lateral line detects water movement, pressure changes, and temperature changes. So basically every time you stomp your feet across the room towards the tank, they're feeling that and eventually pattern match it with impending food drops.

It does make me wonder what impact all the rumbling and noise all the equipment has in the fish. What if they could be less stressed if people took more care to appropriately deaden their cabinets with anti vibration foam?
I am sure they don't like it, but I am also sure they don't like underwater volcanoes, earthquakes and underwater nuclear explosions. I am also sure they frown on that. :anguished-face:

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Now it is my best looking coral and is stretching to the sky. I am not sure if what I did was good, or if the coral is afraid I will do it again”

My corals always just gave me the finger and then packed it up for good.

-Matt

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh great news, our nightcrawler earthworms are so big you can see them slither across the driveway at night on the security cameras.

Chop them in smaller bits? Whole? I used to collect them for fishing bait, now for pet fish food, lol.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh great news, our nightcrawler earthworms are so big you can see them slither across the driveway at night on the security cameras.

Chop them in smaller bits? Whole? I used to collect them for fishing bait, now for pet fish food, lol.
Serve them whichever way the fish will eat them. They do like sections that wriggle better.

terracota bricks are made of the same clay as bricks so it doesn't matter but the holes in the bricks are smaller so I think the fish would like them better

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from my morning walk, Thank God summer is coming. Anyway getting back to the tank. We discussed how to aquascape to keep the fish as stressful as we can.

This is a coral reef in Bora Bora. I took this probably 20 years ago.. You can make out a moorish Idol on the bottom center. It is hard to see but the bottom is nothing but passages through the rock and every fish will dive in when you, or those sharks get close. They will not get scratched and they will all fit in because of their lateral line.

This was my tank just when I moved everything here from my old house "before" I put the corals back in. Everything was in vats for the move.
The aquascape is nothing but holes and passageways through the entire 6' tank so the fish can traverse anywhere they want without being seen.

So beside the aquascape to reduce stress we need bacteria on those rocks. Bacteria are more important than anything else you can add to the tank. We can get the correct bacteria from live rock but remember when we buy anything from a store that rock may have been there for a year or two so the compliment of bacteria on that rock may be just the same bacteria as the store owner has in his tanks. Of course it could have been in the sea last week. We just don't know but it's the best we have.

I feel if you want to set up a tank with 100% dry rock and ASW, do something else. Get a different hobby, perhaps hang gliding or bungee jumping which would be much easier than trying to start a reef tank that way. Yes, it can be done and was done many times but I am sure most if not all of them had problems.

Such a tank has none of the correct bacteria. We are not talking about gut bacteria here just normal bacteria that will process ammonia which the fish excrete, nitrates which also comes from waste products and phosphate. Those things will build up in a tank without sufficient bacteria causing all sorts of problems forcing many of us to go on the disease forum thinking the fish are sick. They are sick, but not from disease, from unwanted pollutants.

If we put a fish in a tank with ASW and dry rock with nothing else, it will die in a short time due to ammonia poisoning. This is very common and the fish usually dies with his mouth wide open and his gills flared out. Fish have little tolerance to ammonia but the correct bacteria will get out the ammonia in no time and any tank with a little age on it will not have a problem.

This is one reason we see on disease forums a tank full of dying fish with no likely disease problems. It's to new of a tank to have all that life in it and not enough bacteria to process it.

Just 2 days ago I had to go to a wake. My friends son came up to me and said he started a reef tank. Right away I cringed because I knew what was coming next. I asked: What do you have in the tank? He said urchins, crabs, anemone crabs a "bunch" of damsels and a couple of small tangs. I asked when did you set up the tank? 6 weeks ago. I hope he lost my number because those animals are going to die.

Those fish will get sick and he will add all sorts of"treatments" that his LFS will gladly sell him. In a year, he will sell everything and get out of the hobby and get a job in Home Depot loading toilet bowls into mini vans.

His tank is way to new to add almost anything, especially tangs and anemone crabs which are filter feeders.
It takes time to build up enough and the correct type of bacteria for almost anything to live correctly and bacteria in a bottle (whatever that is) won't help.

We need a variety of bacteria, viruses and funguses to thrive and eventually get along so the tank runs on auto pilot. That will take a couple of years and not weeks.

Hope he does not read this. Maybe you should tell him not in the war way those days are long gone be touchy feely

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for longer tubes for target feeding so far have found, and bought 8 inch ones want longer any help as to where to look or how to do would be nice.
Also your 18 inch Matano wand zappers source
Thanks in advance Wally

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know you collect ocean water periodically, but do you sterilize it before adding?
No Mickey. I just filter out all the floating stuff and sand as it would muddy my tank.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wally my acrylic tube manufacturer went to China so I stopped making them and don't have a source for the 3/8" tubes. Sorry.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back