Imperator and macro algae?

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvi imperator in QT and the thought has occurred to me about angels and macro algae. I have a fist size patch of codium growing in my DT and I have previously had other fish eat on it but what about angels? I do have more growing in the sump if this algae becomes dinner in a couple weeks when I release the hound.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvi imperator in QT and the thought has occurred to me about angels and macro algae. I have a fist size patch of codium growing in my DT and I have previously had other fish eat on it but what about angels? I do have more growing in the sump if this algae becomes dinner in a couple weeks when I release the hound.
I'm not sure if I could answer your question but where did you get codium? I love that stuff

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS here in Omaha, Ne always has tanks full of it so I grabbed a chunk and split it between my sump and DT. Once it took root, it grows pretty steadily.

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I could answer your question but where did you get codium? I love that stuff
This is where i got mine. Can vouch

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that fish can eat the new growth on codium but will not devour the whole thing due to it being unpalatable.

My foxface would pick it up and swim off with it sometimes. I thought it was just eating nuisance algae or something. Realized the reason my codium and some other macros didn't do well was because the fish could eat the soft new growth only. That's why I like mollies. Their little shovel mouth doesn't really tear. It just scrapes.

I know there are different kinds of codium. Mine never developed a holdfast but it grew substantially. The ones that do develop holdfasts seem to be even more unpalatable. Mine is the wiry kind. Iron would make it expand.

Attachments

• 20211027_165449.jpg
    20211027_165449.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 19

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back