Implementing Triton method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GeorgeS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 years of generally moderate to poor results of trying to grow corals (with very minimal dosing of anything) I have decided to implement the Triton method but need some advise. I have a 75 gal display with a sump (12.5 gal), I figure with all the live rock & sand bed system is probably about 75 gallons overall. Lights are LED Marin Orbit 4foot light bar. Sump consists of 4" filter sock, protein skimmer, fuge w/ large macro algae growth. I splurged earlier this year and added a Apex classic controller to manage they system. Overall water quality has been pretty consistent (Ph 8.1; Alk 9 - 10; temp 78; calcium 450 - 500; Nitrates 0 - 5). I just sent off water samples for my first ICP test, current test results are all using the count the drops of API test kits.

My questions:
1) Should I use the Triton Base Elements or the Triton CORE7? what's the difference?
2) My sump is setup with the skimmer in the first chamber with the water return and then the 2nd larger chamber is larger with macro algae -- I really don't want to switch out sumps just to re-order the fuge and skimmer, is this okay to run the skimmer before the fuge?
3) I've read some comments about needing a calcium &/or carbon reactors, are these truly needed? (I hope not as I don't have space in the sump)
4) Read that Alkalinity should be in the 8 range (7 - 9), since mine seems to be pretty consistently in the 10 range what should I do, if anything?

Thanks in advance for the help.

20171223_121548.jpg
20171223_121601.jpg
20171223_121609.jpg
20171223_121618.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi George , you would need too use the core7 ,that is made too work with a refugium that is 10% of Your Total water volume .. the Triton other methods is for use without a refugium but running gfo i believe .
You would use then a calcium reactor when dosing Triton becomes To Much .eg Your Calc alk and mag uptake is Very large and Your using say 2 bottles of Each Each month ( slightly exagerated) !
I assume looking at Your tank not Many corals that Your uptake Will for now be minimal .. so then if Your alk is now normally 10 dkh , i can deduce that the salt Your using has a high alk .. so therefore you could Changes Salts To one with a lower dkh then you should be able too adjust Your Triton dosing ..

OP
OP
GeorgeS

GeorgeS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi George , you would need too use the core7 ,that is made too work with a refugium that is 10% of Your Total water volume .. the Triton other methods is for use without a refugium but running gfo i believe .
You would use then a calcium reactor when dosing Triton becomes To Much .eg Your Calc alk and mag uptake is Very large and Your using say 2 bottles of Each Each month ( slightly exagerated) !
I assume looking at Your tank not Many corals that Your uptake Will for now be minimal .. so then if Your alk is now normally 10 dkh , i can deduce that the salt Your using has a high alk .. so therefore you could Changes Salts To one with a lower dkh then you should be able too adjust Your Triton dosing ..

thank you.

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base on the photo of your tank, all you need is to change 10% of water per week with good water and salt mix. Everything else is over kill.

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I wouldnt dose anything in that tank. Just water changes. The light you have wont support high light demanding corals that would need dosing.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the reason you may have had trouble with growing corals is the light you're using. It won't work well for most corals.

OP
OP
GeorgeS

GeorgeS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base on the photo of your tank, all you need is to change 10% of water per week with good water and salt mix. Everything else is over kill.
Thanks, but one of the big reasons I'm thinking about Triton is that I hate water changes and looking to try to avoid them all together.
Does sound like a different light is needed...

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you want to grow more and different corals than you have now, and you want to simplify maintenance. The Triton method should be good for that.

I don't think there is a problem with your fuge after skimmer. Mine is half and half, with one drain line going through the skimmer first and the other going directly in the fuge portion. If you can split your return line, you could do that too.

I let my Alkalinity go down from 10 to 8 by stopping dosing. No problem noted at all. As others have said, if your salt is high alkalinity, you could swap it out.
I'm not using a calcium reactor. If my calcium becomes deficient, I might just start supplemental dosing with the DIY calcium mix I used for years. Since it would only be a small amount (if I ever need it) I would expect my container would not need refilling often.

Core7 is more concentrated, and they say reformulated. I went with it because I can get the 10L jugs and not have to worry about refilling anything for a couple of months.

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but one of the big reasons I'm thinking about Triton is that I hate water changes and looking to try to avoid them all together.

With those coral, you can get by by doing nothing but just top off the tank.
You don’t need a calcium reactor nor any dosing for those coral. They do not consume much of any elements.

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the coral you have do not care about calcium and Alk as they are soft coral.

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what you have that light is fine. They are great low-medium intenisty lights. If you are planning on upgrading the difficulty level and can keep stable parameters to grow more light demanding stony corals a stronger light or multiple units you have will be needed. If only no water changes are what you are after, wait until you get your icp results. With your skimmer, "large" macro growth, and the low bio load you currently have you may not need more than a standard two part and some basic additives. The reason i say this is the corals you have wont deplete elements very fast and the triton suplements may cause an imbalance. The triton system doesnt replace water changes it uses a "shotgun" system to replace elements while using what you have already created with large sump,macro, and skimmer. To eliminate water changes you only need to keep water clean and what elements used replenished. Even then, water changes can still be necessary to balance the system with the trion method. Just not as frequently. Simply put a couple of gallons of good quality salt mix can be not only cheaper, but better depending on your reefing style.

OP
OP
GeorgeS

GeorgeS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you want to grow more and different corals than you have now, and you want to simplify maintenance. The Triton method should be good for that.

I don't think there is a problem with your fuge after skimmer. Mine is half and half, with one drain line going through the skimmer first and the other going directly in the fuge portion. If you can split your return line, you could do that too.

I let my Alkalinity go down from 10 to 8 by stopping dosing. No problem noted at all. As others have said, if your salt is high alkalinity, you could swap it out.
I'm not using a calcium reactor. If my calcium becomes deficient, I might just start supplemental dosing with the DIY calcium mix I used for years. Since it would only be a small amount (if I ever need it) I would expect my container would not need refilling often.

Core7 is more concentrated, and they say reformulated. I went with it because I can get the 10L jugs and not have to worry about refilling anything for a couple of months.
Yes, Fishhands, you are correct, I'm looking to grow more / different corals while keeping maintenance as simple as possible. I will check out / switch the salt and start looking for a new light setup in the upcoming months...and then start the triton supplements as elements start getting used up. Very helpful, thank you.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Fishhands, you are correct, I'm looking to grow more / different corals while keeping maintenance as simple as possible. I will check out / switch the salt and start looking for a new light setup in the upcoming months...and then start the triton supplements as elements start getting used up. Very helpful, thank you.
Once your up and running don’t forget too do a triton test , you don’t have too .. but it’s well worth it in my opinion!

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back