OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, she loves zoas/palys and really loves nps corals. She is also getting into those “pretty stick things”. Lol
I have 18+ maybe more baby sun corals biggest are 1/8" and all growing. My children of the sea.
The orange scleronephthya bad shape when I got it. Hard to get now. Hope it thrives

2019-04-28 13.47.28.png

20190428_133542.jpg

20190428_175405.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya dendronephthya colonies, possibly dendronephthya roxasia spp.?

This recently sent 2 days ago, vendors inventory

IMG_20190429_150113 (1).jpg
Top down sucks for id’ing. It could be a d. hemprichi as well. But Kenya would be a little south for it, well maybe. We saw a ton of it when we dove the Red Sea a few years back. To think of it, that is when my wife fell in love with them.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top down sucks for id’ing. It could be a d. hemprichi as well. But Kenya would be a little south for it, well maybe. We saw a ton of it when we dove the Red Sea a few years back. To think of it, that is when my wife fell in love with them.
Dove Cayman Islands, Hawaii, Caribbean, wish I could do Red Sea, GBR, and especially Fiji capital for softies. Red Sea I'm jealous. I think your right dendronephthya hemprichi, because with dendronephthya roxasia no thistles if I remember? Many softies hard to id. Specifically dendronephthya species., I think. There's also another dendronephthya from vendor no thistles that may be dendronephthya roxasia? Here picture

49508096_1359153534224359_5892945664144310272_o.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dove Cayman Islands, Hawaii, Caribbean, wish I could do Red Sea, GBR, and especially Fiji capital for softies. Red Sea I'm jealous. I think your right dendronephthya hemprichi, because with dendronephthya roxasia no thistles if I remember? Many softies hard to id. Specifically dendronephthya species., I think. There's also another dendronephthya from vendor no thistles that may be dendronephthya roxasia? Here picture

49508096_1359153534224359_5892945664144310272_o.jpg
Now that looks like a d. roxasia. As for the thistles, if I remember correctly lol, they have them but they are not as pronounced.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, following for sure. Can the supplier get anything else interesting?
Here's the catch, vendor not under CITES treaty, if you export corals to USA it's limited without CITES permits , so for starters I'm doing like a test import, the soft corals I'm trying to import, you can ship without rock,rubble, and they live. They're like a super hero in the ocean, heal really quick, so going to try ship with no rock, gravel, etc... the vendor is going to send me more pictures of NPS softies. Next thread on importing, will be on stony corals. Thanks for following.

4-soft-coral-dimitris-neroulias-canvas-print-1-1.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jomama we owe you a few cases of beer for all of your work at this. This is very promising and, if successful will make me turn one of my tanks into an nps tank lol. The wifey is even onboard as the only thing better than zoas to her is dendros lol.
Talking about beer, I'm not a beer drinker(martini's,some wines, moderation ) , but about 7 years ago, where I lived there was a Indian restaurant, had different beers to buy. I choose 10000 Monk. I've had different beers though-out my life but this beer was like no other type, from start to finish taste was there a taste, that made you come for more, you can taste flavor of barrel in it and some I don't drink much beer, but this one moves me to. Once a beer connoisseur said, of all beers he's had, he likes beers from India. I see why or taste why. Thanks for comments and following

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I called Custom Border Protection to see how many different forms I'd need to fill out. They said one, form 3-177, one of the earlier postings has email from agency how to fill. Not difficult, now we're ready to order dendronephthya colonies

©-Sylvie-Ayer-Indonesia-Komodo-whip-coral.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't want you to waste your time on this as there is a lot to getting importation of corals than cities permit. That is the job of the shipper there have been many scam's from people in Africa saying they will sell corals and fish to US customers.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't want you to waste your time on this as there is a lot to getting importation of corals than cities permit. That is the job of the shipper there have been many scam's from people in Africa saying they will sell corals and fish to US customers.
So true, one thing about conducting any business. It all leap of faith. I can right this off as business loss. Also the most I'll loose is $200. Here in Socal. that what some of us sped on one drink. Peanut what I'll lose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So vendor sent me proforma, it's a break down of all cost &fees, let's just say I love softies, but not that much. If the softies I was going to order thrived in our tanks then yes. So, now we're going to see if one of his transhipers will add my order to his.

Stay tune

4272_111_427-gorgonian-coral-tree-1.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So vendor sent me proforma, it's a break down of all cost &fees, let's just say I love softies, but not that much. If the softies I was going to order thrived in our tanks then yes. So, now we're going to see if one of his transhipers will add my order to his.

Stay tune

How much was it?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what kind of plankton are you using to feed the corals? Do you flood the tank with Plankton everyday? An do you filter the aquarium?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what kind of plankton are you using to feed the corals? Do you flood the tank with Plankton everyday? An do you filter the aquarium?

Here's my thread on NPS softies,
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/raising-2-dendronephthya-colonies-month1-scleronephthya-6.481941/
Alot reading . It shows filtration and 21 herbs and spices, in other words recipe of what I feed. Yesterday I just add 48 oysters in a refugium like tank, I've used oysters in past as pre-filter before main filtration. I flood feed corals every hour as soon as night begins, a lot less daylight. And every hour at night thru fish feeder sprinkle reef roids recipe to simulate floating plankton. Less in the day. Here's my refugium 10/2017 80 oysters, 10 clams, 3 abalone, CUC, ETC...

NPS SOFTIES still a challenge, may be one day they will thrive in tanks.
Plankton, I use Phyto-Feast, whole shrimp,oysters,squid, reef roids,locust, mysist,artic pods,all foods flour consistency, except Phyto-Feast, and raw seafood, and 1 raw egg blended, all with 4 gallons sw. New batch every Saturday

Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-59-45-1 (1).png

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back