IMPORT 101

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have contact with a station in Africa, for Alcyonacea corals , dendronephthya, one common name carnation corals. The catch, this region of Africa not under CITES treaty. Not an issue because most Alcyonacea corals aren't protected from CITES treaty.

This coming week will talk to Fish & Wildlife agency for their protocol on importing them.
Another plus as hobbyists, we can import (US) most corals(handful,large quantities cause red flag) under personal use, because it's personal use, instead of importers license, you would use your SS number or EIN.

I'm aware, there will be more required to import corals to USA, Like health certificates, etc... Fish & Wildlife will fill me in.

So stay tune, follow along, I have an idea how they will need to be shipped. Just want to hear it from Fish & Wildlife, here's a photo sample 1 of 10 dendronephthya colonies coming to America.

49508096_1359153534224359_5892945664144310272_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got email from wholesaler in Africa, they're sending list of doc's they use to ship corals Europe. It will give me an idea what documents they send with coral export. So, when I go to Fish&Wildlife Service, I'll be somewhat prepared. One thing doesn't hurt to get familiar with Latin names of your favorite corals.

Why would I want to import corals and go through all this hassle. One reason is the soft corals I deal with are difficult to obtain through local fish stores especially with the coral bans in place. Also it's a good challenge. And one more thing, they're a heck of a lot cheaper if you can import some after you know the protocol. Like they say after you get the hang of it it gets a lot easier like riding a bike.

SAM_1930.JPG

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got email from wholesaler in Africa, they're sending list of doc's they use to ship corals Europe. It will give me an idea what documents they send with coral export. So, when I go to Fish&Wildlife Service, I'll be somewhat prepared. One thing doesn't hurt to get familiar with Latin names of your favorite corals.

Why would I want to import corals and go through all this hassle. One reason is the soft corals I deal with are difficult to obtain through local fish stores especially with the coral bans in place. Also it's a good challenge. And one more thing, they're a heck of a lot cheaper if you can import some after you know the protocol. Like they say after you get the hang of it it gets a lot easier like riding a bike.

SAM_1930.JPG
Following along as well. I am getting more and more into nps corals and this would be awesome.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. One concern I would have is with these being wild corals they are more then likely going to come on rock. Technically even bits of rubble will be considered live rock which does fall under cites. I have no idea how much of an issue that would be.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. One concern I would have is with these being wild corals they are more then likely going to come on rock. Technically even bits of rubble will be considered live rock which does fall under cites. I have no idea how much of an issue that would be.
Yes well aware, to solve that issue, most soft corals are like succulents you cut them right and they will continue to grow. So I sent an email to the wholesaler in Africa, the divers are going to cut 10 pieces of dendronephthya colonies, they hold on to them, up to five days and they will heal within that time, so there's no rock on coral, no rubble , no sand. When I get them I will attached on to coral rubble. Thanks for input

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I knew you would be aware but that is good you have found a wholesaler who is willing to cut them then wait 5 days. If I were you I would have been concerned they would have cut them then put them in the bag then shipped them. Even that probably would be fine although I have no experience this this type of coral. I do remember the good old days of seeing dozens of indo colonies for $40 a piece at the reef shops 10+ years ago.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I knew you would be aware but that is good you have found a wholesaler who is willing to cut them then wait 5 days. If I were you I would have been concerned they would have cut them then put them in the bag then shipped them. Even that probably would be fine although I have no experience this this type of coral. I do remember the good old days of seeing dozens of indo colonies for $40 a piece at the reef shops 10+ years ago.
Thanks, it's going to be an interesting process. I like a good challenge , as long as no one gets hurt.:)
Here's a link to importing fish, similar to corals, to a point.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article15.html

53495557_415735882551485_8063208790628436917_n.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following
Thanks, this thread won't just be talk the talk, we're going to walk the talk. I'll document every step.
If all goes well next thread will be importing stony corals Tubastraea. I would need to import from different station/country under CITES treaty . Thanks for following

1.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, always thought dendros and lace corals were very cool, never tried them though.
I've been in love with them since the 80s. I just got back into reef keeping little over a year and then the coral bans kicks in. Bummer
I'm trying to raise them, also have a Backwoods Lab which is an actual metal container in the boonies our motto is" instead of moonshine we're trying to raise NPS softies." Thanks for following, comrades

35b2fedda7b071eec1e9717d98163eb6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really enjoying your NPS threads please keep updating them for us.

Someday I’ll do an NPS specific tank, but I’ll need a bigger house first,lol.
Thanks for the kind words, trying to raise dendronephthya colonies, every misfortune I have, now and then, I see it as a step towards the end result. The end result being,hopefully one day that they will thrive and multiply in our tanks.

With being sick 4 1/2 week, a little over a month ago and my tank recently the canister filter sprang a leak I have one dendronephthya Coral that's still alive it's plumpy but the polyps aren't pretty but it's still living. Pretty hardy. Thanks for following ,comrade

50623737_2201614586564752_8400045082715529037_n (1).jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back