Improving the taste of RO/DI.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if there is anyway to improve the taste of RO/DI water?
I've read numerous times regular RO/DI has a horrible taste, but I am yet to actually taste it.
I haven't purchased an RO/DI unit yet, but plan to do so soon. Any suggestions about an economical yet efficient choice would be much appreciated :)
I will also be using the water in my reef tanks.
I recently boycotted tap water as the government published an article on their website stating they add arsenic, cyanide and lots of other filth to our drinking water in trace amounts.
Who knew the government didn't have our best interests at heart? :p

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it has a bad taste, but having more of a "dry" taste. If that makes sense.

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure you shouldn't drink RODI water, just RO. Something about the PH ruining your teeth and can cause you to be dehydrated. I asked the person installing my filtration system if he could make it RODI, he freaked out and said "sure if you want to take out all the minerals and give yourself diarrhea".

Not sure how true it all is, but RO water is pretty darn clean itself! Lol

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wish to use your RO/DI system for drinking water as well, I'd suggest using RO for the drinking side and RO/DI for the fish side. Easy to do.

As far as a quality setup at a reasonable cost, look at the refurbished Spectrapure setup. And if you want the drinking water side, you have to get that add on kit.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure you shouldn't drink RODI water, just RO. Something about the PH ruining your teeth and can cause you to be dehydrated. I asked the person installing my filtration system if he could make it RODI, he freaked out and said "sure if you want to take out all the minerals and give yourself diarrhea".

Its a myth that drinking pure water will take all the minerals out of you, there is no way that it would.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it has a bad taste, but having more of a "dry" taste. If that makes sense.
Agree. It's fine if you're going to make tea/coffee or cook with it, but drinking it ends up being kinda "flat".
I Tee off from the RO (before the DI) and store it in a pressure bladder tank and use that for drinking water. RO tastes fine.

It's not true; bad information and old rumors.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, theoretically it's possibly an issue, but it would require you to drink/eat nothing besides RODI for days. In the real/practical world; not an issue.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.6%
Back