In desperate need of help. Can't figure this out.

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a bit ago about micro bubble jets occurring randomly. I thought I had it figured out but I didn't. I have some more info. Hopefully someone can figure this out.

I have a 44 gallon Planet Aquarium tank with overflow in the tank. The pipe going into my wet dry filter is 1 inch and a .75 return.

The wet dry filter below has 3 chambers. The first chamber is where the flow enters. It also contains a HOB skimmer. It then overflows into the front chamber and down, through filter floss and other media. From there it flows into the back chamber, which is the return.

Here's what I'm seeing. The overflow box above, in the display, will occasionally drop the water level in the box really low. It gets lower than the u- shaped return pipe. It will then make a loud gurgling noise.

When that happens, the return chamber below will fill up to almost overflowing which then overflows through the other chambers. After that, the first chamber will get really low, low enough that it can't flow into the second chamber and into the return. When this happens, the return pumps water out until the pump hits air and that causes the micro bubbles.

The first chamber then fills up and overflows and starts that sequence all over again.

The strange thing is that it doesn't always do it. Sometimes it will run fine for hours and sometimes it will do the above over and over again.

The added issue is that I can't use an ATO because the water level in the sump is never consistent.

I have no idea what is causing this. The overflow above looks fine. It has an air hole in the overflow pipe, which I understand is supposed to stop the gurgling sound. The plumbing looks fine. What am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be great. If you have questions let me know. I work nights so I may not answer immediately but I will answer when I wake up.

Thanks guys!

Edited to add: I'm getting a new sump with refugium in the next week or so but I want to figure this out so I don't have the same issue with it.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it could be an inconsistent issue with the overflow box itself. Is it undersized for the tank or flow of the return pump?

OP
OP
esloan88

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it could be an inconsistent issue with the overflow box itself. Is it undersized for the tank or flow of the return pump?

No its not. The overflow was built into the tank. It's a tank from planet aquariim, the overflow is made in the tank against the back wall

Aaron4890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your overflow is not vented correctly. Without pictures it's hard for me to understand exactly what type of overflow you have

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has an air hole in the overflow pipe, which I understand is supposed to stop the gurgling sound.
A picture of this would help. Do you have a tube that comes out of this hole to make sure it is never covered with water?

OP
OP
esloan88

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video I made showing what is going on. Unfortunately, it did not do what I am describing while making the video. That figures. It is really random and I can't figure it out.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id think it has to be somehow related to that air vent in the overflow. Any way you can at least take it temporarily? It may quiet it down but as long as the overflow and handle the volume of the return pump eliminate that and see

OP
OP
esloan88

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id think it has to be somehow related to that air vent in the overflow. Any way you can at least take it temporarily? It may quiet it down but as long as the overflow and handle the volume of the return pump eliminate that and see
I have removed the air pipe completely from the overflow and just left the hole in the pipe. It still does it. I have made sure the valve pipe was clear and then put it back in.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like some sort of blockage in the black pipe in the overflow. Could be a snail or something.
I know if the hole for the vent in the top of mine gets clogged with algae, I get the same thing. Yiurs, because of the hose, shouldn't get clogged, which leads me to think of some other sort of blockage. Sometimes the easiest answers are best.

OP
OP
esloan88

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like some sort of blockage in the black pipe in the overflow. Could be a snail or something.
I know if the hole for the vent in the top of mine gets clogged with algae, I get the same thing. Yiurs, because of the hose, shouldn't get clogged, which leads me to think of some other sort of blockage. Sometimes the easiest answers are best.

I will check that. I don't think there is a blockage but I guess it is possible. What is the easiest way to check that without taking everything apart?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can take the first 90° elbow off. Hopefully it isn't glued.
Beyond that, you should be able to unscrew the standpipe in the overflow

OP
OP
esloan88

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the U shape pipe in the overflow glued together?

Yes, I believe so. I bought the setup used (I saw it running, so I know it was working fine) and I believe that piece and the pipe to the bulkhead were glued.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is because next time it happens go over all pull the 90 degree coupling off and look in it. Mine does this once every couple of weeks and every time there is a snail in there. In my case a snail crawls in and blocks the vent hole

OP
OP
esloan88

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in my overflow box is glued

Ok, I will try that. I am buying a Trigger Sump/Refugium this week, so I will be replacing the wet/dry filter and will need to take the plumbing apart anyway. I can definitely check then. Can you put mesh or something over that pipe opening to keep things from crawling/swimming in?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, but run the risk of a clog that way too.
Just thought of this, but you could also enlarge the hole in the top of the standpipe.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you can, I've never thought about it. It's not a frequent enough problem for me. And it's been an easy fix as only snails have gotten in.

Have you ever noticed a snail getting into your sump or filter socks?

OP
OP
esloan88

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you can, I've never thought about it. It's not a frequent enough problem for me. And it's been an easy fix as only snails have gotten in.

Have you ever noticed a snail getting into your sump or filter socks?
Nope. never seen one in there.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%

Back