In tank overflow piping questions

Tyler Harrison

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2015
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a built in overflow it's about 20" high and I have the water level about 3" high with only a piece of pvc in it so Needless to say it's loud. I was looking into a quieter pipe design and waterlevel for the overflow. How are y'all's rigged?
 
No but I could add one. It's a single hole in the bottom 1.5". What will the valve do?
 
It'll restrict the flow going into the drain to match the flow of the return pump. If you've got a full flow going down the drain then your return pump can't keep up. Check this article...it sounds like this is kinda what you're doing now. This is how I do my drains. I've tried others but this one seems easiest to get set up.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/
 
Oh, if you've only got one drain pipe I'd definitely put a strainer on it. that'll prevent snails from getting in and getting stuck at the valve and slowing the flow and causing problems.
 
If I understand you correctly you have an internal overflow box but you do not have a standpipe?
If that is the case you need to construct a simple Stockman or Durso style standpipe which should end up just a little shorter than the overflow box so the water will not be crashing over the side and creating noise. I prefer the Stockman style as it is more compact than the Durso, is quieter in operation and it is better protected from snails or debris so very safe as far as floods go.
If you only have one overflow, which is all I ever use, you do not want to put a strainer or a valve on it, both will lead to a major flood. The flow should be unrestricted. If you need to adjust flows you do so with a valve on the discharge side of the return pump or a variable speed DC powered return pump.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=239116
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

The Maggie Muffler is basically a ready made Stockman if you are not into DIY:
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/31/maggie-muffler-easy-alternative-dursostockman/
 
Last edited:
The compact Stockman is amazing quiet when you drill a hole in the cap just large enough for a piece of vinyl airline tubing to slide through snugly. You cut a piece of tubing and slide it down in the drilled hole very very slowly until you can visibly see the flow in the standpipe increase and steady out and it becomes quieter since you now have the perfect air/water mixture for maximum flow. No gulping or flushing and minimal bubbles if any at all.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new