In the process of moving everything to a new tank -- is now a good time to get a 2nd clownfish?

smootie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I'm downsizing from a 75 gallon tank to a 40L, and am taking the opportunity to re-scape as well. I've been thinking about getting a 2nd ocellaris clownfish to pair with my existing one (who is an adult phantom ocellaris) and was wondering if now would be a good time.

Since they are both going into a "new" tank, maybe there would be less bickering? Or would it be better to give the phantom time to settle in before adding another clown? Not sure if it matters, but the other fish in the tank are a purple firefish, spotted mandarin, royal gramma, yellowtail blenny, and pajama cardinal (the phantom gets along with everyone).

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With clownfish, there are no guarantees because...well, because clownfish are weird. I agree that adding another (preferably) smaller clownfish at this time may be helpful. Good luck with your new 40B adventure!

OP
OP
smootie

smootie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a snow storm clownfish today and introduced him (I hope he's a male!) into the new tank at the same time as the current fish. He's about 1/2" smaller than my existing clownfish. My phantom ignored the newcomer at first (I don't think she realized the snow storm was a clownfish haha) but the snow storm has been flirting with her for the last 4 hours. So far things are civil, but apparently you never know with clowns!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a snow storm clownfish today and introduced him (I hope he's a male!) into the new tank at the same time as the current fish. He's about 1/2" smaller than my existing clownfish. My phantom ignored the newcomer at first (I don't think she realized the snow storm was a clownfish haha) but the snow storm has been flirting with her for the last 4 hours. So far things are civil, but apparently you never know with clowns!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Hey, you're already doing better than me (we tried adding a second clownfish and it disappeared after a few days...)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back