In Wall Build Questions

datBme150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting the planning on an in wall now. I have a couple of questions that I figured would be better to ask the experts here. The only facts that I have are where I am putting it and the dimensions of the tank (60 x 30 x 24)

As far as the hole in the wall, do you build and finish the wall with a slight gap planned between the aquarium and the wall, if I want a flush look? If so, what would be good? If there is still a gap after installation, how do or what do you fill in the gap with?

When setting up the wall, is it better to have a portion of the aquarium sitting on the cut out, or create the cutout in the wall to allow for the stand to come through to the finished drywall?

If my room on the other side of the wall, where the equipment will be housed is just a deep, under-stair closet, is ventilation imperative or is there some other way to deal with the humidity? Will I also need to replace all the drywall in the room with the green stuff (the stuff that doesn't absorb moister)?

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I framed my cutout like a wall opening so if we sold the house we could pull out the tank and use it as a walkthrough with little additional effort. Check out my build thread, I just updated it with some pictures of the tank framed in. Let me know if you need some particulars/closeups.

I only put greenboard around the aquarium. If the tank is making it humid enough for the whole room to need it, you have a ventilation issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back