Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

im planning to do a in wall build.
this is the design.

IMG_0067.png

IMG_0068.png

the plan is to break down the wall, and place a Red Sea reefer 700 peninsula. From there rebuild the wall and cabinets.
I was wondering if you have any advice for me since it is my first build. What material, ventilation etc.
also maybe a mechanism to not be able to look into the toilet from the living area, but be able to look from the toilet into the living area. Maybe smart or mirror foil. Otherwise just build with Acuascape to block the view.

any input is much appreciated!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe one way mirror film applied to the bathroom side of the tank with the mirrored side facing the tank?

When you ask about "materials", what do you mean exactly? Looks like a cool build, my first thought was doesn't he care about people seeing him on the throne? I'm glad I kept reading and saw your question about one way visibility :grinning-squinting-face:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think Home Depot sells a door/window film that is "one way mirror". I have used there window film in the past but never that specific type. Might be worth looking into.

OP
OP
B

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks.

well I’m a bit worried the salt water will destroy standard building materials over time. So would be nice if someone with experience with this could give useful advice

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see.

• You could use epoxy to coat the interior of the cabinets for water resistance.
  • If it were me, I'd want the canopy and sump cabinet to have accessibility from both sides, some sort of hidden cabinet door type setup.
  • For upward water protection from evaporation, you could add a glass cover to the tank, add some sleek vents to both sides of the canopy, or if you don't want it to be too busy maybe just a vent towards the bathroom since I assume you'll have a powered ventilation fan in there anyway.
  • You can use stainless steel for all metal components (screws, cabinet hardware). Some say zinc plated is good enough, but I tend to go overkill and just use stainless for everything

OP
OP
B

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t a glass cover influence the light par uv etc? I want a mixed reef including sps. Thanks for your advice

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effect should be negligible as long as the glass is kept clean, but I'm not an expert on this topic as I prefer to run open top systems

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back