In your opinion, which is more important to you? Size or Water Quality

Which is more important to you, Size or Water Quality?

• Size (Overall system volume)

• Water quality - as perfect and near to ocean water quality

Results are only viewable after voting.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all started somewhere in this hobby and have always heard some variation of getting the biggest tank you can have. Which to be frank, a lot of our tanks are place holder's (that last years) until we have the time, space and finances to upgrade to a larger tank. One of the main reason's people strive for a large size is for more stable water parameters - which is by far is no doubt easier to achieve with more water volume. However, we are all human and have our personal and professional lives and sometimes cannot make our reef a priority. This has me thinking of the following situation below, and perhaps what I would realistically prefer.

A single Achilles tang in a 120G with superb stable water quality OR a school of Achilles tangs in a 800G with relatively good water - however lacks stability and has various minor outbreaks a few times a year.

An SPS dominant system - 40G with immaculate water quality OR an SPS dominant system- 200G with Alk and PH constantly shifting causing some cases of STN/RTN but majority of corals still alive (tips and edges are white)

A mixed reef - 60G that can grow almost any coral you put in - (LPS, SPS, Sofites) OR - 1000G system that only seems to keep Zoa's alive.

In all scenarios, I`m not suggesting that the reefer is not trying to find a solution for their system's problem(s) but they are having a difficult time and cannot dedicate more time/money to truly reach a near perfect system.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded my tank, I went for the largest one I could physically (and comfortably) fit down the stairs. In terms of water quality, there are a lot of things you can do to achieve this, from a great brand of salt, a good RODI system, filtration in terms of fleece rollers, protein skimmers and reactors - and then further enhancements like UV and ozone.

I have a 200-gallon system. I perform minimal water changes (~10% maybe 1-2x a year, mainly during the course of sump maintenance), zero disease outbreaks and optimal water parameters. And this is with a heavily-stocked system with over 40+ fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think get the biggest tank you can afford still applies. In general, nano's have been a lot easier now a days then bigger tanks. Now that we have LED's and so on that fixes heat issues and other previous obstacles. Many nano sized skimmers and better test kits.. and so on. It is a different hobby now.

If you are a person who will always want more and loves Tangs then ya get a big tank but if you just want some clowns or gobies and focus more on coral and don't want to deal with larger water changes or just like being able to easily reach in a tank do work in it then a nano can be even more manageable then a larger tank.

Some people even downgrade to nano's realizing that the grass isn't always greener and they missed a small world where they can appreciate smaller life forms and maybe just be more hand's on.

I think tank size is a personal choice and a nano should not be a deterrent if that is what a person wants for their space.

As far as water quality and inhabitants... best to just find what is reasonable for your life/situation. I switched over to softies recently after having a kid because it is more reasonable. I am happy I did as the tank isn't my focus anymore but I can still keep softies happy easily and they use a lot of nutrients. I just collect some of the more rare softies instead. Still an enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are certain corals: notably many acropora corals, which just will not do well without the proper parameters kept stable. And that is just a fact of life.

Also, many tangs really require a tank with a minimum run range. Anything short of that and they tend to get a bit aggressive and wacky. I have a 300 gallon 6’ tank and my kole tang and yellow tang are fine in it. I have a powder brown tang and he tends to zip back and forth and can get a bit frantic. He might need an 8’ or a 10’ run to really settle down.

With larger tanks, it is just easier to keep things stable. Also, a large system makes things like dosers and skimmers and so on just easier to plug in.

But it is often a case of a both and.

I have seen and read about commercial acropora systems and those guys tend to use very large frag tanks for their systems.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote both. I I think both are important but only if you want a large display. I have a 6ft 180 gallon which is large to me, and I also have a reefer 170 about 40 gallons total. I try to keep the water quality up on both. I do water changes once a week on both. I test water on both but a little more often on the small tank as I'm having a go at SPS and have to dose. The larger tank has nems, LPS, and a few sps and houses some larger fish that I have had for years. I think you should keep the water quality as good as you can regardless of tank size. And tank size just depends on what you can afford, have room for, and what you intend to stock. I suppose if I had a fowlr I may be more laxed on water quality. My goal is to try and keep things as healthy as I can as I feel a responsibility for caring for creatures that I bring into my home, be it a dog, fish, coral or even a plant. A smaller tank is definatly easier to make look nice if corals are your thing tho ;)

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started small and progressed as I learned and became comfortable with a regular maintenance routine. Now with a 220 or so gallon tank I’ve become comfortable with that and look forward to my end game 10’ tank. With the amount of automation things have become much easier. I definitely would want good water quality first, learn it and transfer the knowledge to a larger tank.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think get the biggest tank you can afford still applies. In general, nano's have been a lot easier now a days then bigger tanks. Now that we have LED's and so on that fixes heat issues and other previous obstacles. Many nano sized skimmers and better test kits.. and so on. It is a different hobby now.

If you are a person who will always want more and loves Tangs then ya get a big tank but if you just want some clowns or gobies and focus more on coral and don't want to deal with larger water changes or just like being able to easily reach in a tank do work in it then a nano can be even more manageable then a larger tank.

Some people even downgrade to nano's realizing that the grass isn't always greener and they missed a small world where they can appreciate smaller life forms and maybe just be more hand's on.

I think tank size is a personal choice and a nano should not be a deterrent if that is what a person wants for their space.

As far as water quality and inhabitants... best to just find what is reasonable for your life/situation. I switched over to softies recently after having a kid because it is more reasonable. I am happy I did as the tank isn't my focus anymore but I can still keep softies happy easily and they use a lot of nutrients. I just collect some of the more rare softies instead. Still an enjoyable experience.
Well spoken Tamberav. We are all in different seasons of life with differing variables. So when it comes to fish tanks, one size does not fit all. In one season of my life I loved seahorses and could do the maintenance for them. Then circumstances changed and I moved into a less demanding tank of easy fish, easy coral and no burn out. The trick is to know oneself well enough to know what maintenance routine fits the season of life one is in so that our animals are well cared for.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I progressed up to a 65....it was a pain compared to my 38 which rocked for two years. Bigger water changes and not investing the time to run it. Downsized to a 29 ten years ago and got focused on bringing the reef back to life, seems a lot easier for me with a smaller water volume. Granted I still have big tank toys on it, oversized skimmer, sump, dosing kalk, chaeto if needed.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 42 38.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 56 51.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back