Inconsistent Readings

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, purchased a Hanna Copper kit Sunday and the tests have been all over the map, using the same process. First test (used cupramine, trying to achieve .5ppm in 2 steps) was .7 so I thought I may have had residual copper in the tank...next day, .21...took a sample to my LFS where they tested with their Hanna and registered a .28...I dosed again yesterday after figuring out the math and it read .48 this morning...same scenario, dosed what the math suggests and was at .42 when I tested again at dinner. I added another dose that shouldn't get me above .6 even if the high readings were correct but I'm honestly confused. I'm not running UV, I have no filtration outside of the basic sump and protein skimmer. The joys of the hobby I suppose, LOL.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't used the copper, but from experience with other Hanna checkers, have you made sure to clean the cuvette outside before scanning?

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't used the copper, but from experience with other Hanna checkers, have you made sure to clean the cuvette outside before scanning?
Thanks for the reply Bo Lin! The tests continue to be inconsistent...read .61 this morning, but was at .57 Friday, and I last dosed Thursday morning. I clean the cuvettes after each use, but come to think of it I use tap water, which may have trace elements that are being left on the cuvette? Just frustrating to pay the extra $ for clarity of reading(s) and have this be the initial experience.

Ed

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little tip when cleaning the cuvettes, when finished cleaning, rinse in ro water and then fill it to the brim with ro water and put away til you need it again, then just empty cuvette and a quick rinse with the water you are testing and you are good to go.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little tip when cleaning the cuvettes, when finished cleaning, rinse in ro water and then fill it to the brim with ro water and put away til you need it again, then just empty cuvette and a quick rinse with the water you are testing and you are good to go.
Great tip, thank you!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the testing question, I don't have experience with the Hanna copper test. However, I always have trouble with any copper test when trying to measure Cupramine. I think the chelation used may interfere with the copper measurement

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the testing question, I don't have experience with the Hanna copper test. However, I always have trouble with any copper test when trying to measure Cupramine. I think the chelation used may interfere with the copper measurement
It's very frustrating, especially with therapeutics. Hopefully I'm the proper therapeutic range. I followed the directions on the bottle, but after treating the tank in January, I was concerned there could be some residual cupramine in the system that the water changes and cuprisorb didn't capture. Fish are behaving normally, I guess test and watch for signs.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, frustrating for sure. The trade-off with Cupramine supposedly being safer and easier to remove is that you can't measure it reliably (at least, I can't). After years of agonizing over it, I've switched back to using plain copper. I'd rather know exactly how much copper I have.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, frustrating for sure. The trade-off with Cupramine supposedly being safer and easier to remove is that you can't measure it reliably (at least, I can't). After years of agonizing over it, I've switched back to using plain copper. I'd rather know exactly how much copper I have.
I may go that route in the future. Hopefully I won't need to, but I'm a realist, LOL.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back