Indian Triggerfish Experience?

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm a huge fan of triggerfish and would love to have one in a reef tank. Most however I see are unsuitable for reefs with the exception of a handful. Xanicthys seem to be the most reef safe and the sargassum triggerfish has definitely been one I've been looking at. However, I've lately been smitten with the Indian Triggerfish which is from a slightly less reef safe genus Melicthys. However, information on this fish has been pretty sparse and I can't really find anything super consistent in terms of experience with some even confusing them for their much larger cousins in Hawaii, the Black Durgon. If anyone has experience with the Indian Triggerfish in reef tanks, I would greatly appreciate the insight.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have direct experience but have known some with experience. They are similar to the pink tail so finding those with experience with the pink tail may give guidance. The Melichthys triggers are not as purposefully destructive as the other triggers but still may destroy some corals. Depending on what corals you have it may be worth a go, triggers in a reef no matter what is a risk vs reward endeavor. I've known a couple of guys happy with theirs but I wouldn't risk any beloved or high end lps or clams.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back